Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help resgistering a boat in NY State (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197589-help-resgistering-boat-ny-state.html)

Miller 10-20-2008 07:36 PM

Help resgistering a boat in NY State

I've finally decided to move my boat from Ohio to NY State and need to register it and/or re-title it in NY State (it is currently registered in Ohio). Two problems:
1. I do not have the original title, only a copy.
2. I no longer live in or have an address in Ohio. To get a replacement original title, I need to physically show up in Ohio to the county clerks office with a photo id showing my previous Ohio address (which I can't do).

Question: does anyone have experience registering/titling boats in NY State? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I can gte it title/registered properly given the 2 issues above? I was on the NY State DMV site and the information contradicts itself - saying in one place that I must produce the original title or bill of sale and Manufacturers documents even if re-titling from one state to another. In another place, it says I must produce the original title and transfer the registration to NY State. So, before I go to the DMV and waste a good chunk of a day this week, can anyone shed some slight?

In short, Help! I need to get this done ASAP. Thanks.

Miller

PS: Free beers to the first person with the right answer on what I need to do! :ernaehrung004: (anyone associated with Wild Child excluded - I can't afford that MUCH BEER)! :drink:

maritaltension 10-20-2008 08:02 PM

is the title copy an original copy or a photo copy ?? in ny they will register it for you with an original copy but they will tell you someone comes along with the original they can lay claim to your boat , just go to dmv with title all signed up , and a bill of sale not to much money but not 100 bucks either , driver licence ect . and just go up to the window be extremely nice and say hi i would like to register this boat i just bought , they will do it for you ,there are some forms to fill out but they will give you the ones they want filled out , be nice and play dumb the will walk you through it !!

J.B. Marshall 10-20-2008 08:16 PM

Then be prepared to pay sales tax on your new boat that you just bought....

Doug you will do anything for a beer.... :ernaehrung004:

Griff 10-20-2008 09:13 PM

Register it with the USCG and that should eliminate the need for a state title anyway. You would then just have to register it with the state per their rules for USCG documented boats.

As for getting a Duplicate Ohio Title, I doubt you have to actually show i.d. with your old address. People move all the time and the address on a Title never changes. All that changes when you move is the address on the registration. Worst case, go to Ohio and get a state i.d. card with your old address on it, then get a duplicate title and throw the i.d card out.

cig1988 10-21-2008 03:44 AM

"Register it with the USCG and that should eliminate the need for a state title anyway"
-If you can get away with it. NYS has their hand out at all times. From what I understand the boat is already in Millers name. You will need an official title and not a zerox copy. Reason being is to record lein holder. NYS may ask you to provide a receipt for sales tax from OH. If you do not have that receipt its no big deal. Chances are good that NYS will just re-title and register.

BRET 10-21-2008 10:51 AM

If you want to reg in NY, You will need an original title or a certified copy. NY will not register without it, as they will take your Ohio title and issue you a NYS title with your NY address.
Don't expect your NY title to arrive for approx 8 weeks. The old title will tell NY if there are any lienholders that they must transfer to the new NY title.
Also, your Ohio title is proof that you paid sales tax in Ohio. If there is a lower tax rate expect to pay the diff to NY.

007joe 10-21-2008 04:23 PM

also try a plate service they may be able to get you a duplicate Ohio title sent to you here. I'm a dealer and people often misplace titles, some states are worse than others in this regard though.
two companies to try; Lipsco 718-252-4100..... actually their the best and can even take care of the registration once the title issue is resolved (you can skip the dmv all together!:drink:)

Miller 10-22-2008 11:10 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I'm trying the solutions above and will let you know who I owe the beers to!