Notices

Self Protection Boating

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We dont carry on the boat but a Stainless Ruger mini 30 would be my choice for self preservation. Has the ability to reach out and touch someone 30 times, just squeeze
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 in stainless with synthetic stock and factory 20 round mags. They are dead reliable.

Shotguns are great for close range but nothing beats being able to shoot a few rounds across the bow of an enemy at 200 yards. This keeps them away. Empty a 20 round clip in their general direction and they will change their minds about approaching you.

Ron
I agree 100% on the choice and the reason.

Oh, and they always worked well for the A-Team
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the boat Springfield XD 9mm subcompact. At home to many to list, but my newest addition is a Smith and Wesson m&p 15.

Last edited by lawdocx3; 10-28-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
I agree 100% on the choice and the reason.

Oh, and they always worked well for the A-Team
Surely you cant be serious!

Ron
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 in stainless with synthetic stock and factory 20 round mags. They are dead reliable.

Shotguns are great for close range but nothing beats being able to shoot a few rounds across the bow of an enemy at 200 yards. This keeps them away. Empty a 20 round clip in their general direction and they will change their minds about approaching you.

Ron
That does it. Empty a clip off the bow when someone is heading toward you offshore in the dark and they change course pretty fast Also a blast if you're having a slow day fishing. My bud used to keep a tek 9 onboard along with a few others. Not real accurate but a fun barn sprayer .
Attached Thumbnails Self Protection Boating-tek9.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

those pump guns are nice but if I had to carry in the boat for defense(which we dont in Canada) I would bring my M4 with lots of preloaded magazines and also keep a autoloading handgun (I like .45). An Ak47 would also be a nice gun for the boat and they are fairly cheap so if it rusts just buy a new one. I have fired them and they shoot more than well enough to scare off bad guys (although I dont own one as they are prohibited in my country).

I own a Fabarm 12 gauge 'defense' gun and it is nice in the house with the flashlight and all (where a rifle is a poor choice) but out on the water I would want the ability to shoot at a longer range and have a high magazine capacity.

Nothing worse than being outgunned.......

(please hold the comments about a Canadian giving weapons advice to a minimum as I have a respectable arsenal...... for a Canuck)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

For a close quarters (nightstand/boat), this will do the trick long enough to make your way to a rifle

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

Stainless steel and shoots 3" MAG .410 shells AND .45 long Colts if you need to reach out
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

how does a 12 guage feel on recoil with the pistal grip, been looking at purchasing one, I like the pump action shotgun for 2 reasons, wont penetrate threw walls, and the sound of the pump on the other side of the door sounds kind of intimidating.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GrandTimes
how does a 12 guage feel on recoil with the pistal grip, been looking at purchasing one, I like the pump action shotgun for 2 reasons, wont penetrate threw walls, and the sound of the pump on the other side of the door sounds kind of intimidating.
A pistol grip on a shotgun for most cases is nothing more than a novelty. For an example lets use an 870 with an 18" barrel loaded with 3" OO. A shot across the room (i.e. 15'-20') is still in a pretty tight wad. When fired from the shoulder of a full stocked gun the likleyhood of hitting your target is much better. Now replace that stock with a pistol grip, you will probably find out that that swat team hip shooting stuff only works with pinpoint accuracy in the movies, you will probably drop your gun and severly mangle your wrist in the process. You can shoot from the hip with a full stock just as easy as you can a pistol grip, and in an absolute worst case scenario you can use the stock to beat the perps face in.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I prefer #4 buck to 00 buck for inside use(also a shorter barrel)but full stock. Also slugs for a little longer range or through a vehicle door etc. My favorite handgun is my .45 Colt Commander. Plenty of knock down power and with Laser sights very accurate. Enjoy them while you can--after the election you can expect a frontal assault on your right to own and buy weapons.IMO
Jay

Quick Reply: Self Protection Boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.