Notices

Self Protection Boating

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLH
Also carry a Springfield 1911-A1 .45 Stainless
Guys,

Not giving my personal opinion here, but I'm not sure this is legal to carry a handgun on a boat. I have always been highly discouraged from and advised against this on the Great Lakes.

When I took my CFP course here in Nevada, we were instructed that even with the CFP, it is a violation of federal law to have a loaded handgun on a boat on Lake Mead, which is located on federal property. Some parts of the lake are very remote, and there is a very high rate of piracy incidents by lake lice and desert rats in the more remote areas. Of course, a law-abiding citizen faces serious charges and federal prison time for carrying means to defend themselves against this.

The instructor indicated that a shotgun with rounds in the tube but with an empty chamber is not considered a "loaded" weapon and is therefore legal to carry on the boat. If I ever overnight out there, I will have a Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum on board ...

Last edited by RedDog382; 10-28-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Guys,

Not giving my personal opinion here, but I'm not sure this is legal to carry a handgun on a boat. I have always been highly discouraged from and advised against this on the Great Lakes.

When I took my CFP course here in Nevada, we were instructed that even with the CFP, it is a violation of federal law to have a loaded handgun on a boat on Lake Mead, which is located on federal property. Some parts of the lake are very remote, and there is a very high rate of piracy incidents by lake lice and desert rats in the more remote areas. Of course, a law-abiding citizen faces serious charges and federal prison time for carrying means to defend themselves against this.

The instructor indicated that a shutgun with rounds in the tube but with an empty chamber is not considered a "loaded" weapon and therefore legal to carry on the boat. If I ever overnight out there, I will have a Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum on board ...
As always check your Fed/State/Local laws before going anywhere.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
GLH, you know they have a stainless Marine mag version dont you?

I also have Mossbergs answer to it, the 590 Mariner.

I have a Mossberg Mariner also. great for the boat!!

Holds six extra shells in the side saddle
Attached Thumbnails Self Protection Boating-temp-pics-186.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JetJock
HK .40 USP with four Mags, and my trusty ol AR-15!

HK USP Tactical in .40 also and I just bought a Ruger P89 in 9MM. There is a buying frenzy on guns. Get em while you can.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM

I have an HK USP 40 in two tone. One of my favorites. It rarely goes on the boat though. Boat crimes seem to be prettty rare in my neck of the woods.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered

Good Thread. I remember a thread like this last year about being waaaay offshore. No boat at this time, but if it were me... I'd have my two Kimber .45's, my two AR-15's and would want two semi-auto and/or pump 12ga. shotguns w/ #3 or #4 shot. I have two shotguns, just not what I would want on a boat. I'm not going down like a sucker!!! As I understand it, you learn REAL QUICK out there on your own. Be prepared!

I have several other guns, just would wont the most bang for my buck when it mattered most. It would be hard to leave my .40 Sig home on a serious trip though.

Sure hope I don't come across as some kind of skin-head.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
It only takes once...
A lesson you learned when your Megan Fox encounter ended with "too bad you don't have a condom big boy"

Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
How common is it to have boat-based crimes, of the kind that you would benefit from having a weapon? I would expect that in the ocean, but is it common in the Great Lakes or other inland lakes also?
Here ya go ... perfect example :

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=sportfish
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
A lesson you learned when your Megan Fox encounter ended with "too bad you don't have a condom big boy"
Wow.....you're giving Bub the benefit of the doubt that he made it to that point.

I definitely don't stay on my boat (on purpose....), and haven't been without a large group running offshore in questionable areas yet. I would likely have a piece on board otherwise.

Here's my pet Eagle.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ar15meister
[IMG][/IMG]

Nice gun but I would take a rifle any day in the Ocean
thats a pretty cool little package for a shot gun.

Quick Reply: Self Protection Boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.