Who makes the best outboard? >

Who makes the best outboard?

Notices

Who makes the best outboard?

Old 03-09-2002, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best outboard?

I had a discussion with a guy about who makes the best outboard? I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:12 AM
Registered

When i had my HydroStream i had talked to Sam Baker and Jay Smith Racing. Had Sam do my work but i know people that used both and swear by both. Those two are always being asked questions and talked about on the outboard message boards. Hope this helps.

Mark Fitzgerald
[email protected]
Old 03-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are we talking Stock or Mod motors. If we are talking stock Merc for sure!!! They are built to take the beating that we dole out. Look at Johnyrudes and Yamaha's. Great motors yes, but if you really beat on them they are so damn heavy that you will break the mounting brackets and also beat on your transom!!! I call Johnyrudes (evenrudes and Johnsons) Major apliances because they are so much larger then the Merc equivelent.

There are a lot of good guys that modifly motors on the internet.

Jon
Old 03-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Default My Apologies

I misunderstood your question. Yes definitely Merc. I Thought "Johnrude" and "Yamaha" were curse words in our boating world.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:51 AM
SunseekerNY

Not my area of expertise, however, while attending the Motorboating Magazine Editor's Choice Awards at the Miami Boat Show, I had the opportunity to meet some gentelmen from Yamaha Marine in Japan who were also receiving an award - for devolping/introducing the first four-cylce outboard motor. You might want to check out the specs.

Yamaha four-stroke outboard

Old 03-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think it relates to what you want to do with it.

Merc is great for offshore stuff because a lot of people know how to trick them up for that.

Johnirudes are good for little high performance boats because lot of guys know how to trick them up for that.

Hondas are indestructible but heavy and their performance numbers lag some of the other "clean" motors.

Yamahas are long lasting but expensive to work on and few people trick them up.

Of course these are all generalities but I don't believe there is one overall winner. The most important thing in my mind is getting something that you or your technician is familiar with.

The learning curve sucks......
Old 03-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Registered

Shane, I am definitely ready for LOTO. This weather when it is 70 one day and 30 the next sucks. I think the weather gods are just playing with us. They give us a taste of Spring and then back to the beolw freezing again. Summer can't come soon enough.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

A local guy has yamaha's on his zodiac he runs full throttle almost all the time, never had any serious problems with them. The coast guard has the same boat but with merc's, I think they have blown up the lower unit twice I think. We have had our little 40hp yamaha for probally 8yrs and no major probelms. Nothing against merc just giving my 2cents.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't forget Scott Atwaters, Mc Cullough Scotts, Sea Kings, Gales, Wizards, Anzani's, and the unforgettable Chryslers....er West Bends.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I have a 50 Merc on my Glastron. 1972 motor and boat !. Runs like the day it was new. Also have a 1970 9.9 Merc on my aluminum 14 footer. That boat goes an honest 21 mph with that motor on it. It's a screamer. Just don't turn!!!

Had a few Johynrudes as a kid. Never ran as well as any Merc I have owned. I also have in my basement a late 60's early 70's Sears 5 hp air cooled outboard. Fuel tank on the top type. Was really LOUD when it ran. But it never ran really well. Hasn't been touched in probably 20 years. Anyone interested??

Quick Reply: Who makes the best outboard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.