Notices

Aluminum Trailers

Old 03-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aluminum Trailers

I own a South Florida trailer for the One Vision boat and have well over 20k miles on it. The trailer pulls great but I have a heck of a time keeping fenders on it. After a while the fenders crack at the mounts at each end. (By the way, I'm kinda anal about anyone standing on my fenders, so that's not the problem).
Anyway, The first time it happened I called SFT who said it was not covered under warranty. That sucked, but whatchya gonna do. I bought a fender for $90 plus shipping. Wasn't long before the other side started cracking in the same way. Again I called, and bought a fender. Wouldn't you know it, a friend was helping me out and accidently damaged a fender, which of course was the one I had just replaced. He took care of it and bought the replacement parts. By now, I have also learned to check for loose nuts n bolts religously.
Last year I notice the first fender that was replaced is now cracking again! I called SFT and this time we discussed that there may be a problem here, and it's getting old. They told me they would do me a favor and sell it to me at their cost. Just for grins I checked around and found out where these fenders came from. The best part was, this place had an outlet in KC, and my department had an account. Somehow, "My" cost was about half of what SFT's cost was, and they buy 60 or so at a time. Some favor.
In all fairness, the trailer pulls great and I have had no other problems with it. My fenders are now double reinforced where they mount and I replaced the original center struts with larger ones.

Last edited by Gordo; 03-11-2002 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordo , Sounds like maybe a tire balance problem . Check them . Also I have seen brake drums so far out of balance you would think it was running on square tires . Jack it up and slowly turn the tires . See if the wheel turns like one side is heavy .If not ,then you got it , poor brackets holding fenders . Good luck ! Thats a bad way for the company to do buisness !
Old 03-11-2002, 11:21 PM
cast

Talking alum trailers

SFT TRAILERS ARE #1 TRAILER IN THE USA , SFT HAS NEW OWNERS SINCE JAN, 2001 .MR, GORDO DOS,NOT HAVE ONE OF JAY CASTALINES TRAILER HE HAS ONE OF THE OLD ONE TAKE A LOOK AT THE NEW ONES ON THE WEB SITE AND YOU WILL SEE THE NEW ONE .MR GORDO HAS NEVER CALLED ME WE ARE THE OWNERS OF CAST-A-LINE MARINE INC, AND SOUTH FLA TRAILERS (954)966-0240. OR (954)966-0580 :

Old 03-11-2002, 11:50 PM
kwb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery of a new Myco Aluminum trailer for a 42' Cigarette and I am very impressed with the build quality and the way it fits the boat (like a glove). Myco Has the patterns for most all boats and builds the trailer to fit the boat, unlike some "generically" built Aluminum trailers that will fit almost any boat.

Which ever trailer you get, make sure it is welded together - not bolted, or held together with U-bolts.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2002, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time or your money. Do it right the first time and buy an aluminum MYCO, the extra money will be well worth it
Old 03-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Mr. Gordo has never called me" ??

Mr. Castaline,
So, to get my "facts" straight, are there now two companies called "South Florida Trailers", or did you purchase the original "South Florida Trailers"?
If the latter is true, and you have indeed owned the company since Jan. 2001, then I have called your place of business.
I don't remember any mention of new owners, but that's irrelevant at this point.

Boot,
Actually, I thought of the tire balance thing and had them balanced. No brake problems that I could find when I repacked the bearings that first year. I got new tires in 2000 and watched them mount & balance. As always, the thing pulls great. and stops smooth, just hard on fenders. Have not seen a hint of problems since reinforcement.