Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ceaning alluminium trailers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19820-ceaning-alluminium-trailers.html)

DJW 03-10-2002 11:27 AM

Ceaning alluminium trailers

What do you guys use to clean your alluminium trailers? I would like to find a spray on and hose off product that works.

thunderdan 03-10-2002 11:33 AM

I used Mother's aluminum cleaner and polish. It worked well for me.:D :D If there is something better or easier out there I am all ears.;) :D

skatermike24 03-10-2002 11:45 AM

When you guys find one let me know!

liquid asset 03-10-2002 11:48 AM

muratic acid should work, I'll let you know when I try

puder 03-10-2002 12:41 PM

i kleft an unpainted boat in the water for a little to long and it grew some serious funk on the hull. I used a power washer to get most of it off. Sprayed teh muriactic on and it was bright and shiny again. That stuff will disolves just abotunaything. Be careful with strong undiluted acid on metals your trailer might be few pounds lighter after a washdown like that.....

thunderdan 03-10-2002 12:43 PM

We use Muriatic Acid in our swimming pool business and I never thought of using that. What mix do you use with water? Be very careful with that stuff it is some potent stuff.:D :D

Tonto 03-10-2002 01:44 PM

I used ON-OFF hull cleaner and then a buffer and rubbing compound. Looked brandy new :) The ON-OFF also cleans galvanized wheels to a new shine. Got steel trailer now just use soap and water.

Fastcat 03-10-2002 01:54 PM

I used a sos pad it was not a spray on hose off but it worked very well, don't use a circular motion use long strokes with the grain of the aluminum.

mfb357 03-10-2002 03:23 PM

DJ, The best product I've found is fairly new, its name is CTI. it can be bought at most Peterbilt truck dealers.I have quite a few Petes all with aluminum wheels,tanks,ect. This product sprays on using one of those garden sprayers. Let it set a little bit and brush it. Then pressure wash it off. Some alum cleaners such as Alumibrite will make aluminum turn white and loose its shine. This stuff works unbelievable.It cost $105.00 for a 5 gallon pale.It says to mix with water. I use it staight and have no problems. You should be able to get a couple of seasons out of 5 gallons. Let me know if you cant find it I'll give you more info> Good Luck, Mark B.

Hot Duck 03-10-2002 04:17 PM

I agree with FastCat. Use soapy SOS or Brillo pads and scub very lightly WITH the grain of the metal. As you scrub you can actually feel the metal become slick as it gets shiny. This trick is very quick and very easy. I have polished an aluminum trailer with Mothers Polish before and it took all day! This Brillo method is much faster and yields the same appearance.