Notices

1200+ hp Skater 399 V

Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
Eddie

you feel confy with these..? Seems like your taking a chance here? exp for such an expensive setup....?

great work BTW!!!
No, I'm not the least bit concerned. I fully trust them. They are made of 316 SS and are heat treated, so they should be very strong. That is the same material that the CMI big tubes are made of. I have also talked to someone that has used several sets over the last few years and is very happy with them. I know one of the boats and I know how the guy runs it. He could not possibly run it any harder and has had the headers for over 3 years with no trouble.
Eddie
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered

Jigsaw, thank you very much. I can't wait to get it in the water myself. I'm trying to line up a video person in another boat to get some shots of it.

Jeff 31, thank you to. I wish we would get some of that snow. I moved to TN. 3 years ago from New Orleans and haven't seen much snow. Last week, some parts of New Orleans got 8" of snow. Go figure.

Originally Posted by cougarman
Guess I should have had my Camera the other night.
The Night of 12-15-2008.

Little over 600 ft. lbs at 1000 RPM's.........Hmmm
So I wouldn't laugh to hard.

No it's not a typo either, guess it depends who's work you like to surround your self with.

Eddie,.........This is not directed toward your work, we all know you put a good product out.

Jon
Jon,
Don't worry, I did not take any offense. What I would like to know is why you are so interested in the power at 1000-3000 rpm. I like to load them up at idle to check the tune to make sure they won't load up. On the manuel brakes, I load them as hard as I can and let them sit for about 30 minutes, or until the brake gets to hot. Usually after about 30 min. the water starts to boil out of the brake and flood the dyno room. I don't know of a way to load one at idle on an automatic sweep dyno. Like I said, I'm just doing it to make sure the tune is on and that it won't foul plugs and/or soot the transom. I not interested in the actual power or torque output. Most any boat needs about 3000 rpm before it starts to do anything or make any speed. As long as the power output isn't rediculously low at 1000-3000 rpm, I would not think it would really matter since the only time the boat will be there is getting on plane. Obviously it needs to have the power to get the prop moving and get on plane. As long as it does that, what other reason is there to worry about the power at the lower rpm? I'm certainly not trying to bust your balls, I'm just curious. You talk a lot about power output at that rpm, so there must be a good reason for it. I just don't know what it is. Thanks, Eddie.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Jon,
Don't worry, I did not take any offense. What I would like to know is why you are so interested in the power at 1000-3000 rpm. I like to load them up at idle to check the tune to make sure they won't load up. On the manuel brakes, I load them as hard as I can and let them sit for about 30 minutes, or until the brake gets to hot. Usually after about 30 min. the water starts to boil out of the brake and flood the dyno room. I don't know of a way to load one at idle on an automatic sweep dyno. Like I said, I'm just doing it to make sure the tune is on and that it won't foul plugs and/or soot the transom. I not interested in the actual power or torque output. Most any boat needs about 3000 rpm before it starts to do anything or make any speed. As long as the power output isn't rediculously low at 1000-3000 rpm, I would not think it would really matter since the only time the boat will be there is getting on plane. Obviously it needs to have the power to get the prop moving and get on plane. As long as it does that, what other reason is there to worry about the power at the lower rpm? I'm certainly not trying to bust your balls, I'm just curious. You talk a lot about power output at that rpm, so there must be a good reason for it. I just don't know what it is. Thanks, Eddie.
Eddie,

Thanks for taking the time to write, I'll try to keep this short.......... Also had no intension's of Hi-jacking your thread. We do respect your work hence all the questions I have asked you over time.

Your right most do not dyno this low or have a need too.
Tom has dyno'ed plenty of diesel's, there for having a dyno capable of dynoing on the lower side of the scale.

Anyways as you know in your own passion for constantly building a better engine package there is a lot of R&D that goes into it and those are your secret's for your lifes work.

And that is how this topic at hand came about.

It's no secret the lower the compression the more boost you can run. And the more boost you can run the more SAFE power you can make.

Problem is Blower's have to run higher compression to have ( Static Compression). But with higher compression it limit's how much safe boost you can run. And you along with any other Blower guy need a certain amount of static compression to get on PLANE.

These engines of Tom's are Turbo engines if I haven't mentioned that in the past. And most people are still left with the belief that they have turbo lag there for are not well suited for boats.

Tom has 15 to 20 years of R&D into the turbo engines and has eliminated Turbo Lag. Another member on the board (Check300) has one of them in his single engine 30' checkmate with a #6 drive. Drive ratio is a 1.24 and a 27pitch prop.

The engine is a 572 twin Turbo with 6.4 compression.
Never get on plane right?? Well that is where the low numbers come into play for us. If there was turbo lag we never could get on plane. And with out boost you know as well as I do that an engine with only 6.4 compression would be nothing more than a pooch as ( Check300) would put it.

So in regard's to (HaxbySpeed) comment and lack of knowledge with these particular engine packages........
Check300's engine is the engine currently on the dyno.

It is a used engine, pulled out for more research over the winter month's. And the number's I posted where with this used engine as I entered the shop and Tom was doing the first pull on the dyno.

Did we need to know the number's at 1000 RPM?
NO......But the dyno will hold that low. Back to the point
of 1,500 Rpms and up the low numbers are important for us to get on plane.

Proves we can make boost right from the start with no Turbo lag. Also with 6.4 compression Check300 can run 21 LBS of boost everyday. And 28lbs for special days.

Also with the low numbers and a #6 drive Check300 can get on plane very quickly with NO Tricks, No vent tubes etc.

It's a great every day package, very quite, no cam LOPE, sounds more stock than a stock engine.

Thanks for listening and thanks for all you share also!!

Jon
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY nice project and VERY nice engines!!!
Any results yet?
Ziggy
Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Registered

Cougar,
Thanks for the insight. I could not understand why you guys were pulling that low. Now it makes sense. I have never done it since the Whipples come on so fast, the bottom end power is not a problem. I don't know what they make at 1500, but I do know it's quite a bit. Never had trouble getting one on plane, so I guess it's enough.Thanks for the explanation and don't worry about hijacking. This is all supposed to be about learning and I just learned something.

Ziggy,
Thanks for the compliment. The tailpipes are being built now. There has been a delay with the holidays. I expect them back between the 12th- 15th. As soon as I get them, they will go on and it will get fired up. Then it goes to the water. I will certainly keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone, Eddie.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey is that a water pickup in the center for both motors
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
hey is that a water pickup in the center for both motors
I saw this on another big power 42 fountain. It was having overheating issues.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered

Yes it is. It is a little over 2.5" ID, so it won't be a problem supplying enough water. It was originally installed in the boat supplying only 1 strainer. Both engines were pulling from that one strainer. I was not crazy about that so I made the fitting you see to split the incoming water to two strainers. Now each engine has it's own strainer to pull from.
Eddie
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Cougar,
Thanks for the insight. I could not understand why you guys were pulling that low. Now it makes sense. I have never done it since the Whipples come on so fast, the bottom end power is not a problem. I don't know what they make at 1500, but I do know it's quite a bit. Never had trouble getting one on plane, so I guess it's enough.Thanks for the explanation and don't worry about hijacking. This is all supposed to be about learning and I just learned something
Eddie,
Glad I could help. What compression ratio are you running on this engine?

Thanks
Jon
Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Earth to Eddie ? Still alive partner???

Jon

Quick Reply: 1200+ hp Skater 399 V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.