Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1200+ hp Skater 399 V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198235-1200-hp-skater-399-v.html)

johnnyboatman 01-05-2009 09:38 PM

hey is that a water pickup in the center for both motors

TxHawk 01-05-2009 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman (Post 2771521)
hey is that a water pickup in the center for both motors

I saw this on another big power 42 fountain. It was having overheating issues.

Young Performance 01-05-2009 11:13 PM

Yes it is. It is a little over 2.5" ID, so it won't be a problem supplying enough water. It was originally installed in the boat supplying only 1 strainer. Both engines were pulling from that one strainer. I was not crazy about that so I made the fitting you see to split the incoming water to two strainers. Now each engine has it's own strainer to pull from.
Eddie

cougarman 01-08-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2770500)
Cougar,
Thanks for the insight. I could not understand why you guys were pulling that low. Now it makes sense. I have never done it since the Whipples come on so fast, the bottom end power is not a problem. I don't know what they make at 1500, but I do know it's quite a bit. Never had trouble getting one on plane, so I guess it's enough.Thanks for the explanation and don't worry about hijacking. This is all supposed to be about learning and I just learned something

Eddie,
Glad I could help. What compression ratio are you running on this engine?

Thanks
Jon

cougarman 01-15-2009 11:18 AM

Earth to Eddie ? Still alive partner???:drink:

Jon

ROTAX454 01-15-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2730491)
Slingshot,
The engine will go between 125 and 150 hrs. At that time, the top end and valvetrain need to be done. The bottom end doesn't need it, but it should be done while your there and the engine is opened up.

Eddie, See the link posted below. Would the valve spring coating add to increasing the upper end service intervals? Is the valve springs the primary reason for upper end service?
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10967
FYI----I have used Dan Swain for many years and two-stroke motor builds. Simply the best of the best.
Also, in post #4----one of the pics showing the rear motor view, a small filter is shown with what looks like (2) solenoids. What is that device?

Very nice work and thanks so much for sharing your talents and creativity to all. Richard

JO - PANTERABOATS 01-15-2009 11:57 AM

Very nice Eddie !

JO

Young Performance 01-15-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 2778440)
Earth to Eddie ? Still alive partner???:drink:

Jon

Still here. I must have missed the post you made a few days ago. Sorry, but I would rather not say what the comp. ratio is. Nothing personal.....I hope you understand. Just got a call about 10 min ago that the tailpipes are ready. I'll get them next week and get it fired up. As soon as it warms up a little I'm going to the water.

Rotax,
Never heard of the coating you're talking about. I will be sure to check it out. It's not only the valvesprings, but the lifters and camshaft. The cam starts to get grooves in it because of the spring pressures. The lifters start to get worn out from all the spring pressure as well.
What you see on the rear of the engine is the IAC. (Idle air controller) I run 2 of them since the boat has so much prop and gear, it puts a tremendous load on the engine when you put it in gear. 2 IAC's half to work half as hard as 1. Basically, they respond much faster and don't have to open as much. Thanks for the heads up on the coating and the compliments.

Thanks Jo. I'm still waiting to put one in a Pantera.:drink:

cougarman 01-16-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2778687)
Originally Posted by cougarman
Earth to Eddie ? Still alive partner???

Jon Still here. I must have missed the post you made a few days ago. Sorry, but I would rather not say what the comp. ratio is. Nothing personal.....I hope you understand.

Yup.........:cool-smiley-027:

Jon

ROTAX454 01-16-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2778687)
Rotax,
Never heard of the coating you're talking about. I will be sure to check it out. It's not only the valvesprings, but the lifters and camshaft. The cam starts to get grooves in it because of the spring pressures. The lifters start to get worn out from all the spring pressure as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the coating and the compliments.

:

Eddie, Please take the time and call Dan. He has been in the specialized coating business for a long time. You will hopefully find the call educational.