Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1200+ hp Skater 399 V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198235-1200-hp-skater-399-v.html)

Young Performance 02-04-2009 02:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here a few updated pics. I fired off one of the engines today. I'll fire the other tomorrow and if everything is good......to the lake. Had to make a driveshaft guard. The boat had guards at the rear, but none on the rear of the front engine. I could just see the u joints breaking and the driveshaft sticking in the mud on the bottom of the lake......just after it went out the bottom of the boat. I also had to make supports for the long tailpipes. They are so heavy that I was concerned about them bouncing around and cracking the headers.
Hardin Marine did an absolutely fantastic job building the tails. I can not say enough good things about them and the pipes. They nailed everyone of the tails on the money. All 4 fit perfectly.
Here are a few shots. Enjoy, Eddie.

Young Performance 02-04-2009 02:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few of the driveshaft guard and the ong tailpipe supports.
Eddie

Knot 4 Me 02-04-2009 07:33 AM

Great work, Eddie. Those tail supports are beefy!

kennyo 02-04-2009 08:36 AM

I hear it's going to be sunny and 60* this weekend! If I wasn't painting I would be on the bank!!!!!!

Young Performance 02-04-2009 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2792685)
Great work, Eddie. Those tail supports are beefy!

They need to be. Those long tails probably weigh 85-90 lbs each. I was worried that the bouncing would crack the headers or the tails.
Eddie

GLH 02-04-2009 09:26 AM

Eddie,

Where is your shop in Nashville I am there on business every three four weeks I would love to see your setup.

GL

Young Performance 02-08-2009 11:39 PM

Finally put the boat in the water today and all I can say is WOW. Absolutely retarded fast. I never did ring it out. This was just a shakedown run to see what was gonna fall off, leak, break, etc. I'm happy to say that none of those things happened. We ran it for about an hour and only sqeezed on it a little one time. The boat was like it was shot out of a cannon. I ran it up to 125 mph in just a few seconds. That was turning 5300 rpm at 55% throttle(had the laptop on the floor next to me) It was getting dark and I need to get use to the boat. I need to get the trim set right since it is very sensitive to very minor changes. The boat started leaning a little a speed, but I think I had the drives tucked a little to much. Just before that, the boat hopped a little because I had them to high. I think I over compensated to much.
Need to check the drive trim height, replace a boost gauge and a few other minor things. The weather will be in the 60's-70's all week so I will take it out a few more times.
Thunderusone has a few pics so maybe he will post them. I will get some video this week. There was to much going on today to video.
I need to stand on it to see if the props are going to be big enough. I don't think they are. Currently have 16 1/2 X 39" Herings. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Eddie