Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1200+ hp Skater 399 V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198235-1200-hp-skater-399-v.html)

littledcsrodshop 04-18-2009 10:24 PM

Hey bro , Your right sounds like you have been pretty busy... That lifter issue had to suck.. Hopefully you guys get a try at it again tomorrow & all goes well !! Keep them Lifelines on & be Safe !! That boats destined to be one of the all time baddest open canopied pleasure v's in existance.. I gotta say I loved that boat first time I layed eyes on it back a couple years ago & ofcourse that love has grown a bit more recently..:cool: I need to get out there sometime & check it out in person.

NMBullet 04-18-2009 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2847306)
Hey guys....been busy. I only had the chance to take the boat out one time since I got the new props and the weather turned to crap about 15 minutes after we left the dock. We were trying to beat it, but just couldn't make it. It took 2 months to get the new props, so it just sat waiting for them. I had to add some pumps to the oil system to pump the oil back into the dry sump tanks after the boats sits for a few days. After a couple days the oil will drain from the tanks, go through the filter, and end up in the pan. Then the tank is empty when you go to start it. It will put the oil back quickly, but it doesn't have any oil pressure until that happens. I put a pump on each engine to pump the oil from the pans back into the tanks before startup. I have also been working on the trailer quite a bit. It didn't have a bow stop, so it was hard to put in the same place. I also cut off the drive guard and capped the rear of the trailer. Everything had to be primed and painted. It also needed to have the wiring redone for the trailer lights. I also had to change the lifters in both engines. The clearances in the hydraulic roller lifters were to tight to run 20W50 oil.
With all that being said, I am going to try to run it tomorrow....weather permitting. It has been real hit or miss. I have had it to 127 mph so far. It drove good up until that point. The wind was really blowing and there were rollers hitting us from the side, so I didn't want to push it any more. Hopefully I will be able to stand on it and see what it does. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks, Eddie.

Thanks for the quick reply, im sure we can all understand the issues (if it was easy everybody would do it). What type of oil did you run during break in? Were you planing on running something other than 20/50 after that point? Look forward to hearing about more testing & seeing some pic's of the new work.

2007Fountain35 04-18-2009 11:25 PM

Can't wait to see your updates, get us some nice videos and speedo shots.

Young Performance 04-19-2009 12:15 AM

Scott,
Thanks bud. Come on by whenever you want. You're always welcome. I agree, it is a beautiful boat. One of the better looking ones. I replied to your distributor thread. The lifter deal did suck. Always got the Lifeline on in this boat.

I did plan on continuing to use the 20W50 oil. These lifters are made to run much more rpm(7800 rpm) and more spring pressure(550-575 lbs) than the average hydraulic lifter. The problem was that the clearance in the lifter between the cup and the body is only .000025(25 millionths of an inch). That space is to tight for 20W50. Once the oil made it in, it could not get out. They had to build a special set with larger clearance to be able to run that oil. I was able to sneak the lifters out without taking off the intake What a bit@h.:mad:

The weather isn't looking very good for tomorrow. Calling for 20-30kt winds and possible strong storms and hail. I still need to spend some time fine tuning the program before I really stand on it. The wideband on the dyno was showing a lot leaner than it really was, so now both engines are on the rich side. The dyno headers were pulling air into the collectors from around the primary tubes, hence, telling us there was more oxygen in the exhaust than there really was. So, I richened it up on the dyno. When it went in the boat, that oxygen wasn't really there, so the engine is now on the rich side. It's not much, but it takes time to map two engines all the way through the rpm band. I wanted to wait until I got the right props on it to tune it with enough load. I will definitely get some video when I run it. Thanks guys.
Eddie

jeff1000man 04-19-2009 01:48 AM

wow. good knowledge on this thread. How did you know that the lifters were to tight? Was this something you knew all along and were just experimenting with, or what was the clue that let you know this was going to be a problem?

Young Performance 04-19-2009 02:09 AM

No I didn't know. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way. I knew that something was going on. I started hearing some valvetrain noise on one side and the engine started to idle a little rough. I did a comp test and one bank was down about 40 psi across the board. It was because the lifters would not compress at all and they were actually holding the valves open a little. The other side was making some noise because the lifters would not pump up, since the oil could not make it into and out of the lifter. I called the manufacturer and they had just ran into this problem the week before with another set. The first questions he asked was what oil am I running. He immediately knew the problem. Luckily, someone else had the problem before me. It took them a while to figure it out. The lifters were designed primarily for circle track were they turn a bunch of rpm.Those guys can get away with running a 10w30 or 10w40, whereas, the marine side can't.....or don't want to. These are the only lifters that I could get to live with this combo of camshaft, spring pressure, rpm, etc. Several years ago I tried everything else out there and while they did great on the dyno, as soon as they went in the boat, they would fail within a couple of hours. The plunger would collapse. In order to run the cam I'm running, I need quite a bit of spring pressure to keep the lifters on the cam. Rpm isn't much of a factor since I'm only turning 6400 rpm. The biggest factor is the steepness of the ramp of the cam. It opens and closes rather quickly, so I need higher than normal spring pressures. However, it still beats a solid roller. I can get well over 100 hours from the valvetrain.
We have it covered now. It's ready to run.
Eddie

Get Real 04-19-2009 07:38 AM

Tuning issues, valve train issues, dry sump tank issues, what else will happen when you actually run it. Glad I am not the guinea pig on this project.

Jassman 04-19-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Get Real (Post 2847435)
Tuning issues, valve train issues, dry sump tank issues, what else will happen when you actually run it. Glad I am not the guinea pig on this project.

normally I wouldnt say anything...but..I feel threads like these are positive in teaching us all something. This is what happens In the real world.. turning something that doesn't always go as planned into a positive project..If it was easy all the time..everyone would be able to do what Eddie has done. I think it's great posting the good points as well as the little hic-ups that come along the way..who know's it might help someone down the road...Thats what you should have done on your last negative 18 posts with Dean/Taod, worked it out. Being negative all the time will bite you in the azz sooner or later. Jeff

RunninHotRacing163.1 04-19-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2847379)
No I didn't know. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way. I knew that something was going on. I started hearing some valvetrain noise on one side and the engine started to idle a little rough. I did a comp test and one bank was down about 40 psi across the board. It was because the lifters would not compress at all and they were actually holding the valves open a little. The other side was making some noise because the lifters would not pump up, since the oil could not make it into and out of the lifter. I called the manufacturer and they had just ran into this problem the week before with another set. The first questions he asked was what oil am I running. He immediately knew the problem. Luckily, someone else had the problem before me. It took them a while to figure it out. The lifters were designed primarily for circle track were they turn a bunch of rpm.Those guys can get away with running a 10w30 or 10w40, whereas, the marine side can't.....or don't want to. These are the only lifters that I could get to live with this combo of camshaft, spring pressure, rpm, etc. Several years ago I tried everything else out there and while they did great on the dyno, as soon as they went in the boat, they would fail within a couple of hours. The plunger would collapse. In order to run the cam I'm running, I need quite a bit of spring pressure to keep the lifters on the cam. Rpm isn't much of a factor since I'm only turning 6400 rpm. The biggest factor is the steepness of the ramp of the cam. It opens and closes rather quickly, so I need higher than normal spring pressures. However, it still beats a solid roller. I can get well over 100 hours from the valvetrain.
We have it covered now. It's ready to run.
Eddie

Nice job Eddie and thanks for taking the time and helping us out on the phone :ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

Get Real 04-19-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2847455)
normally I wouldnt say anything...but..I feel threads like these are positive in teaching us all something. This is what happens In the real world.. turning something negative into a positive project..If it was easy all the time..everyone would be able to do what Eddie has done. I think it's great posting the good points as well as the little hic-ups that come along the way..who know's it might help someone down the road...Thats what you should have done on your last 18 posts, worked it out. Being negative will bite you in the azz sooner or later. Jeff

Just repeating the facts in his post.