Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1200+ hp Skater 399 V (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198235-1200-hp-skater-399-v.html)

Young Performance 04-19-2009 12:24 PM

The customer is hardly a guinea pig. He understands, unlike you, what it takes to complete a project like this. If this is the only problems that I have, I will be happy, since they are all pretty minor. We are talking about over 2500 hp is a Vee that will be capable of running over 150 mph. Not to mention, this has pretty much never been done before in this boat. Just about everything in the boat is new, changed, modified, etc. If you think for a second that you can do a project like this without any problems, then you live in a fantasy land. I could have very easily said that everything is perfect and not mentioned any problems. That's not me. I deal in real life. I want people to know what goes into this and why it takes the time and money that it does. I don't have anything to hide. Anyone that says they could do a project this involved and not have any problems is full of crap. Maybe I should hire you and you could get it all straightened out for me.:rolleyes:

boatfreak 04-19-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2847592)
Maybe I should hire you and you could get it all straightened out for me.:rolleyes:

Eddie, if you don't mind, let's get my engines finished up before you make any big personel changes.:ernaehrung004:

dykstra 04-19-2009 12:58 PM

Thanks for posting Eddie!

Young Performance 04-19-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 2847604)
Eddie, if you don't mind, let's get my engines finished up before you make any big personel changes.:ernaehrung004:

I'm working on them buddy. So far they look good. It looks like the other one will go back pretty easily. I will call you later.
Eddie

Pure Energy 04-19-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2847592)
I could have very easily said that everything is perfect and not mentioned any problems. :

That's what everyone else does!!!

littledcsrodshop 04-19-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Get Real (Post 2847435)
Tuning issues, valve train issues, dry sump tank issues, what else will happen when you actually run it. Glad I am not the guinea pig on this project.

I seen this & thought about sharing a bid of wisdom but then suddenly :eureka: "hey I think I seen that screen name somewhere in another thread" & I realized I already wasted my time responding to a thread regarding my industry & livelihood where you were making a similar attempt to start crap about Dean Louckus from TAOD... So I will not waste much time again b/c you are only here to start crap so I realize attention is what you want & I don't want to pleasure you anymore than what you have been so far...So that being said my best advise is for you to go back to TV land where the projects go silky smooth , the people are always beautiful & the shows always on time... Because to put it kindly the more you talk the more you show your ignorance..

Young Performance 04-19-2009 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 2847610)
That's what everyone else does!!!

You are right. A lot of people do. However, most people that read that know better. I am not the least bit ashamed to say that I am not perfect.
Eddie

KNOT-RIGHT 04-19-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff P31 (Post 2847668)
I think it's great that you take the time to share with us the ups and the downs of a project like this. Anybody that has ever done any kind of a project would know it is rare to get it 100% the first time and most of us under stand that. Keep up the good work eddie !!!!!!!!!!! :ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

DITTO 100%

Thanks for sharing the info with us Eddie.

"Issues become progress":drink:

Young Performance 04-19-2009 10:29 PM

Thank you for the support guys.

Get Real, one thing that I neglected to mention. You say that my customer is a guinea pig. He is not paying for any of this. The only thing that was unexpected was the lifters. I replaced them, parts and labor, at no charge to him. My engines have a warranty. As far as the tuning, I fully expected to have to do some fine tuning to the engines once they were run in the boat. Try as we might, we can never completely duplicate a boat on the dyno. There are to many variables(weight, type of hull, steps or conventional, prop, gear, etc) I personally test run and tune every engine in the boat before I give it back to a customer. I want him to have the best possible piece that he can have. We manage to get them about 98% on the dyno, but we always check them and fine tune them in the boat. Again, there is no charge for this.
Not only do I run the ones that I install, but if I sell someone a new engine and they, or another shop, performs the install, I will go to there location and run the engine for the first time and do any necessary tuning. Again, this is to be sure that the customer gets everything that he paid for and his boat runs the best that it can. I will fly anywhere in the country to be sure my engines run 100%. This also does not cost the customer anything. It is done free of charge.
We also expected to have to do something about the oil draining out of the tank. Everyone that I talked to about this problem said that they did nothing. They just let the dry sump pump pick up the oil and put it back into the tank and then it went on to the engine. I didn't want to do that. Like I said, this was not a surprise. The customer has owned dry sump engines before, so he knew what to expect.
Eddie