Notices

1200+ hp Skater 399 V

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good talking to ya Chalmation bro.. Keep up the great work.
77 mins on the telly Hope to see you soon!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Eddie/Young Performance I have not seen this thread till today new to this forum but I have read thru the entire thing. I would like to say thanks for all the information and the fact that you share the ups and downs about what you do, I think that others paint a picture that is un true because they are afraid to be honest. I am really impressed with the fact that you are open to the bad stuff as much as the good stuff. My hat goes off to you and your team. Great work and again thanks for sharing.

Sunsation,
Thank you for reading the entire thread and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I absolutely want people to understand that you don't just bolt on some parts and run 150 mph. I will never claim to be perfect and not beyond making a mistake. I'm human....and humans screw up sometimes. What makes the difference is how you handle it. I didn't have any major problems with this one. It was all minor stuff but it did require some time to sort out. That comes with the territory. If anyone says they can do a project of this magnatude and not have any problems then they are either very lucky or full of crap. Every now and then, you get one that goes perfectly. Unfortunately, its the exception instead of the rule. Usually it is all minor stuff that is easily fixed though. It only took a couple of short runs to get it all dialed in. All in all, it went good. Thanks for the kind words.
Eddie
Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Eddie Nice Thread and explained well.
Thank you Steve.

Originally Posted by young.gun
You are killing me.....now I want to turn my motors back up to 1200+ and see what mine will do!
That is easily fixed. I'm tied up tomorrow, but I can get to it on Friday

Originally Posted by lavey jr
So what was the final top speed of this boat? 140?
So far 142 and ran out of lake.I'm not so sure I want to go any faster than that in an open Vee. The local lake where the boat runs does not have a straight section that is long enough to ring it out. It absolutely has more in it. And if thats not enough, with a pulley and spark plug change it can make over 200 more hp per side in about 10 minutes. They make 1229 hp on 93 octane now. I changed the blower pulley by 2 teeth on the dyno and the power went to 1326 hp on 93 octane. They will make well over 1400 with a few more teeth removed from the blower. However, it will need a little more octane for that. (about 100 octane)
Eddie
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1326 ON 93 absolutely INCREDIBLE!!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

good job Eddie, very strong numbers.. is this a revision of the motors that were on Cyclone.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
1326 ON 93 absolutely INCREDIBLE!!
Thanks, Cat.

Originally Posted by Jassman
good job Eddie, very strong numbers.. is this a revision of the motors that were on Cyclone.
It is more or less the same engine. The short block is all the same as all of the other Quadrotors I have built, including the ones I built for Cyclone. On these, I changed the heads from Dart Pro 1's to Brodix and I used the 5 liter instead of the Quadrotors. I was never able to get anywhere close to 1300+ hp with the Quads. I had to really work to get the Quads to bust 1200 hp on 93 octane. This setup with the 5 liter broke 1300 without any problem at all. We held it for as long as we could on the dyno at wide open to be sure that everything stabilized and the engine was safe at that power level.
The Quads made just over 1200 (like 1205 hp) on 93 octane and 1414 hp on 100 octane. All it took was the pulley change, one range colder spark plug, and some octane. The 5 liter made over 1300 on 93 octane, so who knows what they will make on 100 octane. I ran out of pulleys to try when they were on the dyno. I will certainly have more pulleys for the next one. Im pretty confident that the 1326 hp setting would do just fine in a boat, but I would want to test it firsthand. Just doing it on the dyno isn't good enough. Even though we held it long enough for everything to stabilize, I still want to confirm it is safe in real world conditions before I cut a customer loose with it.
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Eddie
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a lot of boat. I hope the owner has respect for that kind of speed / power. Great job with the rigging.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"If anyone says they can do a project of this magnatude and not have any problems then they are either very lucky or full of crap."

Great statement bro !! However I will go with the latter & stay away from the luck thing..

I have not personally gone through what I would call a "super high end" marine build like this, However I have done my share of what I would call major builds in many areas of motorsports including being in the middle of a decent sized marine project at the current time.. So I totally understand not only the level of dedication & commitment it takes but also what it can take out of a person to complete a project of this magnitude & at this level.. I often wish some people could Really know what it takes to be at the top of a game thats not easily played..

I've said it before & Im sure I will say it again but I'm just glad I got to be a Very-Very-Very small part of the project !!

(on a side note my membership has run up here so I will appologize to everybody in advance b/c it looks like I'm stuck with the photo of me at my family reunion last week in my avatar untill I pony up)

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 10-23-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: my speller quit

Quick Reply: 1200+ hp Skater 399 V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.