Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many 20 somethings do we have on the Board? >

How many 20 somethings do we have on the Board?

Notices

How many 20 somethings do we have on the Board?

Old 03-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

28 with a Donzi 22 - I spent my college years restoring a couple of inboards, then I decided it was time to go fast.....apparently I'm a little behind....

EG
Old 03-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Just a tidbid here and I dont know why I say this, but I bought my cat at 19 yrs old, and took a 5 year loan on it, and till it was paid off there was no way to buy a house till after that bill was gone. I saved for 2 years and bought my house, then my 32 advantage. In hindsight I would have prioritized it differently, but luckily it all worked out for me in the end.

Sunday, I ran into a customer that bought a new Advantage 21sr w/a 300 pro max on it last spring, he's a 20 something, and loves the boat, but it's time for him to leave the nest, and he hates to do it, but he now is talking priorities, and wants to sell his boat. We all do/did it, but the 5 years I stalled sure made houses cost ALOT more then they were with appreciaton, vs depreciation of a boat. Trust me, I havent prioritized much differently, my boat payment is more than my house payment... Just food for thought

I figure IF I had not bought the cat, saved for 2 years and got a house at 22 instead of 26, the house would have cost around $70-$80,000 less, due to how they appreciate so much and then add the 5 years of boat payments and intrest, gas, repairs, big beer bill. I figure, a really conservative estimate so I dont feel really bad would be that It cost me way more than $110,000 extra for my house in the end, but probably alot more than that. In equity all that money would have paid for my 32. Something to think about I guess... priorities!! I still dont have any though, so I'll shut up now.

Hey Too Old, does this mean I'm growing up?? Anyone that knows me sure wouldnt think so, but I think about things a little now before I do them...

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 03-11-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:43 PM
MIdnightRider

Wow, there are allot of us here. I'm surprised at the number of us on the board, and even more surprised at the boats I'm seeing. I need to find a better job. That, or a cheaper women!

Old 03-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

Default oops, let me squeez in too

01' Sonic
Old 03-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

You make a great point Rob....I bought my house when I was 23, with one of the main reasons being I wanted a garage to work on the boat....then I used a small piece of the equity to buy the Donzi....

But, it's an endless cycle - because this boat is too big to store at the house, so I'm really stuck with the boat I've got until I can afford to upgrade the house first....damn responsibility is frustrating sometimes!!

-EG
Old 03-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

Cool

27 GOING ON 21.. 28 GHOST T 200 YAMAHA STRAP ONS..

HAVING A HARD TIME SAVING UP FOR A NEW /BIGGER BOAT..BETWEEN INS PREMIUMS AND FUEL PRICES HERE IN NY..:-}
Old 03-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Just trying to help others from what I've learned... The housing market here is pretty expensive, and I know it's different everywhere, but appreciation is constant making it harder and harder to get into the longer you wait, that will always hold true. It defintiely outpaces my pay raises!!!
Old 03-11-2002, 04:56 PM
283CHECK

Me 27 going to be 28 this summer Miss283Check 25 eom.

94 Checkmate 283Convincor.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Registered

good to see other guys my age too also, nice to see the diffent backgrounds with boating. I am new to performance boating also, only 3yrs this summer. 2yrs ago I thought heck this boat will do 60 thats fast enough why would you want to go faster. Guess thats what I get for spending my life crusing at 15-20knts. My dads buddy has a 42'grand banks we are always joking around about racing, I just say anytime I will just leave it in gear and no throttle. Its fun being young in cruiser land.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:09 PM
MIdnightRider

I definately appreciate the age, profession, and background differentiation that boating and its participants bring to the table. The friends I have made over the years are so different from friends I may have had in High School and College. The funny fact that some of my friends are my parents age.

And for those who try and use financial logic in boating, your wasting your time. I sell new homes, and there isn't a more solid thing to buy right now, but what do you do on the weekends when your boating buds are out. Buy a nice new medium size house, and a big boat, the best of both worlds. ( I know just the company to build it too!)

And for ADV ROB, weve been averaging about 5% price increases a year for the past four years hear on the west side. And property is just going up. New Homes are the way to go!

Quick Reply: How many 20 somethings do we have on the Board?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.