Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Opinion - which single engine hull is the fastest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198525-opinion-single-engine-hull-fastest.html)

Pantera24 11-09-2008 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2735106)
I was lucky to find it and a fascinating read.

Magazines almost always have factory people on site for speed runs so as to insure that the magazine guy "knows how to get the best out of it" and to insure they arent getting ripped off as the emphasis on speed is a big draw in the sales department

I'd love for someone else to actually post some different real data rather than opinions or complaining about the incompleteness of this data.

Uncle Dave

LaveyCraft 2750 Ilmor 710
LaveyCraft 20.8 406

Uncledave it's an AWESOME list ...... BUT it's not that people complain...the probelm is that when it comes to "offshore" or water conditions there are too many "other" factors that can sway what is best. But then again "best" is relative to what someone "likes" and want's to spend their hard earned cash on.
Bottomline up until now for true "offshore" in the roughest of all conditions my personal opinion for all out is the 41' Apache. From there on down there are a lot of great makes including Laveycraft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mSxOAg-UU

HabanaJoe 11-09-2008 03:00 PM

From that list the Velocity 26 and the Phantom have to be some of the fastest Hp for Hp.

Although this is a great saying, "It's not how fast you go but how fast you get there" - it's not about comfort or ride, this exercise is about speed.

Pantera24 11-09-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2735130)
From that list the Velocity 26 and the Phantom have to be some of the fastest Hp for Hp.

Although this is a great saying, "It's not how fast you go but how fast you get there" - it's not about comfort or ride, this exercise is about speed.

Ok then if it's pure hp to hp the Phantom is my choice.

HabanaJoe 11-09-2008 03:19 PM

Pantera,

I don't think best comes into play here.

When boat magazines do their tests they always go to nice water to get top speeds runs. I drove all the SH boats for the mags in the early years, we always found water that was condusive of making the boat go fast. Yes, we would go outside and jump some waves but the real tests are in protective waters.

When it comes to "best" not to digress here but the Apache 41 couldn't hold a candle to our SH 38 in the rough stuff. We could catch and pass the Doller Marine boat anytime we wanted, the problem was it (SH 38) broke more than it should have. That boat couldn't turn, was wet as hell, kept breaking infront of the cockpit, the engines had trouble, the trans would pop out of gear and it chined walked so bad the wing tips actually dipped in the water when running beam.

Here's a question for you - is the fact that the Apache 41 did it better and easier than the SH 38 make it the best or is the fact that the SH 38 could beat the Apache 41 make the SH the best???

Sunnydays 11-09-2008 03:49 PM

What about this one. 21ft and 135MPH. Big power but impressive anyway :evilb:: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ft-135mph.html

Pantera24 11-09-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2735135)
Pantera,

I don't think best comes into play here.

When boat magazines do their tests they always go to nice water to get top speeds runs. I drove all the SH boats for the mags in the early years, we always found water that was condusive of making the boat go fast. Yes, we would go outside and jump some waves but the real tests are in protective waters.

When it comes to "best" not to digress here but the Apache 41 couldn't hold a candle to our SH 38 in the rough stuff. We could catch and pass the Doller Marine boat anytime we wanted, the problem was it (SH 38) broke more than it should have. That boat couldn't turn, was wet as hell, kept breaking infront of the cockpit, the engines had trouble, the trans would pop out of gear and it chined walked so bad the wing tips actually dipped in the water when running beam.

Here's a question for you - is the fact that the Apache 41 did it better and easier than the SH 38 make it the best or is the fact that the SH 38 could beat the Apache 41 make the SH the best???

HabanaJoe,
What I meant about "best" is what a person in general may feel is best for them. Some like "bling" on their boat while some like clean old school lines...different strokes for different folks..is what I mean. Ultimately comes down to personal preference ....Top end speed, wave crushing capability, handling etc.

Angel

Sunnydays 11-09-2008 04:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Or this one: Norwegian Hydrolift C-24RR, 24ft, 600HP and 100MPH. It will do 70MPH with 320HP:

HabanaJoe 11-09-2008 04:44 PM

Angel,

I know what you mean, I just wanted to envoke an opinion about what makes something the "best" and see if you would cave on your Apache statement. My own personal best/favorite is by far the Apache 41. Is it fast - no, it is the most stylish - no, there are more negatives than positives about them in todays world, BUT - I LOVE THEM TOO!!!!

Sunnydays,

Also a WOW, never seen nor heard of one before but it sure seems to fly!

Velocity Vector 11-09-2008 05:07 PM

Lets see mmmm Velocity

TOASTY 11-09-2008 05:27 PM

a wide body Bad Boy 32 ran well into the 90s all season long on a bravo no chine walk

Doesnt JC have a 100+ act

and there was a 18 donzi that went over 100 with a big small block...