Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions. >

Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Notices

Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
This was my employer until I retired last May. Go to : GD.com, click their employment link and look at jobs for the Land Systems division located in Sterling Hts.
A lot of tech and engineering jobs and some field work. They have been hiring for the last couple years and it's amazing how they cannot get people in the Michigan job market, seems everyone is afraid to leave automotive even though there is no near future.
Do not B.S. them on a resume !
ed
If you want to call me I'm at 248-925-0271

I took a look at the site, seems very interesting. (the site was a little "old fashioned" though. However, the employment link wasn't working for me. It gives this message:

"You have attempted an illegal operation. Please note that all traffic is being recorded and monitored.

If you feel you've reached this message in error, please click here to email our support staff.

Thank you. "

I'd be open to jobs outside the industry right about now. I'd like a good nights sleep.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
The auto industry is very scary. As of last week I had a job @ GM in Lansing. Now I will be working in Lordstown ohio. Anyway...glad to have a job but not looking forward to any move.

If the government does not help us (domestic auto industry)with a LOAN the big 3 may cease to exist. That means a snowball effect of 2.5 up million jobs. I am not sure those @ capital hill or the public in general understand this. This would spike unemployment and cripple what is left of our economy.
That's too bad about moving, but it is much better than the alternative. Lordstown should be a good spot though, volumes should be high there for quite some time.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the michigan economy is why I am in nursing school.... everyone gets sick or hurt eventually. and a couple billion bailout will not save the big 3, they kept there heads in the sand to long. a bailout will only cover up the wound for a couple months, it won't stop ythe bleeding.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Registered

The only way the big 3 have a chance is to go bankrupt and renegotiate their excesive labor costs. I heard somewhere with benifits that the average worker costs $100 per hour.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

http://www.gdcareers.com/gdchq_jobs/main.cfm
Reposted the link above
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The company is always putting out wild numbers like that to make the union look bad. Problem is, at times like this, it makes the whole company look bad. No one wants to give them a bailout because they think they're a bunch of lazy, overpaid, etc...... Truth is auto plants are highly automated. Half of all auto jobs are in skilled trades maintaining those plants. An electrician in the UAW makes about 34.00 an hour. Try getting an electrician to come to your house for that much. The company makes up for it by providing steady work and good benefits but I doubt if it tops 60.00 an hour for an electrician, less for a line worker. Sorry for the rant, and I'm not mad at anyone here, just trying to correct some misinformation.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not just the Union wages. Look at the bonuses the execs are getting paid. Everyone in the auto industry needs to look in the mirror. Is it better to have a job at less pay and benefits or no job at all. The hole has been dug many years ago. No someone is going to have to pay the piper.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
The only way the big 3 have a chance is to go bankrupt and renegotiate their excesive labor costs. I heard somewhere with benifits that the average worker costs $100 per hour.
Bankruptcy is not a good option. Are you going to buy a vehicle for $30K from a company in bankruptcy proceedings? This compounds the industries problems. The automotive industry is small margin. One of the major issues is legacy costs...paying for retirements. BTW your figure is incorrect.

Last edited by JRider; 11-19-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I am tired of misinformed media and misconceptions. I am a GM supplier and here is the letter we received. Still think the domestic auto industry does not matter?

Because our futures are linked, I want you to know that General Motors is doing everything possible to deal with the impact the financial crisis is having on the domestic auto industry. Yet despite our successful efforts to restructure, reduce costs and enhance liquidity, we are facing an uphill battle with the current administration and Congress in securing a bridge loan.

That's why we need your help now. Simply put, we need you to join us to let Congress know that a bridge loan to help U.S. automakers also helps strengthen the U.S. economy and preserve millions of American jobs.

Despite what you may be hearing, we are not asking Congress for a bailout but rather a loan that will be repaid.

The consequences of the domestic auto industry collapsing would far exceed the $25 billion loan needed to bridge the current crisis. According to a recent study by the Center for Automotive Research:

• One in 10 American jobs depends on U.S. automakers
• Nearly 3 million jobs are at immediate risk
• U.S. personal income could be reduced by $150 billion
• The tax revenue lost over 3 years would be more than $156 billion

Discussions are now underway in Washington, D.C., concerning loans to support U.S. carmakers. I am asking you to support this vital effort by contacting your representatives.

Please take a few minutes to call your representatives by dialing 1-866-471-5332. Just state your name and address, and your message will reach your legislators. You can review a script that will help you state your support at gmfactsandfiction.com. Under the "Mobilize Now" section, click on "I'm a Supplier." If you would rather e-mail your representatives, use the link "I'm a Concerned American."

Please share this information with friends and family using the link on the site.

Thank you for helping keep our economy viable.

Sincerely,

Troy Clarke
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

I can see how the figure I have is in the ball park. So the guy makes $34/hr....How much does the cushy low deductible health and dental insurance cost? How much are the retirement benifits. There is certainly some overtime and holiday pay. How many weeks of vacation can an employee eventually receive per year(3-4 weeks?) Then there is the unemployment insurance as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded $100 per hour!

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
The company is always putting out wild numbers like that to make the union look bad. Problem is, at times like this, it makes the whole company look bad. No one wants to give them a bailout because they think they're a bunch of lazy, overpaid, etc...... Truth is auto plants are highly automated. Half of all auto jobs are in skilled trades maintaining those plants. An electrician in the UAW makes about 34.00 an hour. Try getting an electrician to come to your house for that much. The company makes up for it by providing steady work and good benefits but I doubt if it tops 60.00 an hour for an electrician, less for a line worker. Sorry for the rant, and I'm not mad at anyone here, just trying to correct some misinformation.

Quick Reply: Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.