Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions. >

Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Notices

Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Let me start off by saying I HATE MICHIGAN. I was laid off from TRW about a month ago and am having a hard time finding any work that will pay decently up[ here.
Here are my qualifications:
12 years working on high performance automobiles (Corvettes, Camaros)
Worked for Katech engines for a year untill I was laid off.
Worked for Wheel to Wheel for a 1 1/2 years untill I was laid off.
I wanted to stay in Michigan because I just bought a house 2 years ago and not sure what kind of beating I would take if I tried to sell it, but if reality says move, then I am moving. I am looking to stay in the automotive field. If anybody is looking for help and wants someone that pays attention to details, message me and I'll send you a copy of my resume.

Thanks to everyone
Patrick
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry your having troubles bro. It is wide spread. Keep your head up I am sure things will come around for you !!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

I'm a Job Developer....From what I heard from my work, Job Market is still low. Hopefully, it will go up soon so you can have better chance at finding jobs.

Stay positive and keep your chin up.

Chris
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Registered

not good in MI right now! all my freinds are in the auto biz. w/the same story!...look into Lotus Engineering in ann arbor if you have testing and development work ex.

i still get hits off my monster rez years later.

good luck bro.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered

That sucks man. All I know is the auto industry is scary. I recently switched job here in Detroit, and decided to stay in the auto industry as I couldn't imagine living in Detroit to do something else.

I work at GM, so my worries aren't small. If I lose my job, there's a good chance its cuz we're out of business. This would mean there's no beating on the house, it's just not sellable. Luckily bankruptcy is fashionable these days, as I'd be under quick up here.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we started laying off in south FL today also(machine trade medical device), even the med field is a little slow. Our company is up 8% from last year, but our 2 competitors are way down, and the big wigs are gettin' scared. They started small, just 20 people so far. Good luck finding something.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like it's bad everywhere, and in many different types of fields. Was with a Development/Property Management company with their design and construction department, but with people downsizing companies and few people buying new homes, there wasn't much work left.

Today was my first day officially un-employed.

Gonna try to do stuff on the side until the market comes back a little.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Dude!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
That sucks man. All I know is the auto industry is scary. I recently switched job here in Detroit, and decided to stay in the auto industry as I couldn't imagine living in Detroit to do something else.

I work at GM, so my worries aren't small. If I lose my job, there's a good chance its cuz we're out of business. This would mean there's no beating on the house, it's just not sellable. Luckily bankruptcy is fashionable these days, as I'd be under quick up here.
The auto industry is very scary. As of last week I had a job @ GM in Lansing. Now I will be working in Lordstown ohio. Anyway...glad to have a job but not looking forward to any move.

If the government does not help us (domestic auto industry)with a LOAN the big 3 may cease to exist. That means a snowball effect of 2.5 up million jobs. I am not sure those @ capital hill or the public in general understand this. This would spike unemployment and cripple what is left of our economy.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

This was my employer until I retired last May. Go to : GD.com, click their employment link and look at jobs for the Land Systems division located in Sterling Hts.
A lot of tech and engineering jobs and some field work. They have been hiring for the last couple years and it's amazing how they cannot get people in the Michigan job market, seems everyone is afraid to leave automotive even though there is no near future.
Do not B.S. them on a resume !
ed
If you want to call me I'm at 248-925-0271

Quick Reply: Looking for a job (again) need some suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.