Notices

Attn: Bostonians

Old 03-10-2002, 03:16 PM
voodoo

Default Attn: Bostonians

I found out Friday that I may be transferred to Boston in the next couple of months. Obviously there is plenty of water, but how's the boating in the NE? How long is your season? Where should a person look at real estate in and around Boston and its suburbs? How is the real estate market? Having never been to Boston, I may need to get acquainted fast!

Old 03-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure audiofn can fill you in. He is in mass as well. If you want you can e-mail him. Just go through any of the recent threads and you will see his posts.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I grew up 20 miles north of Boston and as far as boating goes, it is incredible! The scenery is beyond words, countless fun spots on the water. If fresh water is your bag, Lake Winnipesaukee, in New Hampshire is a 2 hr. ride from Boston and is a performance boaters paradice. The season starts around the middle of May and lasts through Oct. I live in Maine on the Sebago/Long Lake water way about 50 miles of boating in one direction and we are about 2.5 hrs from Boston. It`s very pretty up here and a little quieter than Winni. As far a realestate goes it is very expensive compared to other parts of the country.As an example a three bedroom cape in the suburbs of Boston could be around 375,000
I just got back from a trip to LOTO and was blown away a how cheap it is to live on the water there! I could BUY a nice water front home with the down payment of my house here in Maine!

Oh well enough rambling ,good luck, Kurt
Old 03-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Voodoo, I live in Hingham, just a 10 minute boatride into Boston downtown.Lived here all my life.I live on the water. There are 31 Islands here in Boston Harbor most of which are easiely accesable, even if you dont own a boat. We have a large number of marinas available here. Dockage on the average is around 102/ft. The season can vary but generally it goes from May- Oct.I always manage to go from April to Sometimes December.Depends on how well Pats do.(another story)If the move gets closer and you would like to speak with me directly, Email me and I'll give you my cell #.One advantage to where I am is that I live inside Hingham bay which is protected fom Northeasters.Also if the westerlies are blowing hard and gets rough in the bay its a short ride to oceanside. so almost everyday can be a boating day. Good Luck, Mark B.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well dude if you are seriously thinking of moving out hear it will be a good idea for you to obviously take a trip out. I would be happy to take you around and show ya the different areas. I obviously have no idea about how much you make so I can not say what is going to be affordable to you. Just make sure you realize that this is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country!!! Make sure you are compensated in the move for the higher cost of living or you will be making less comparitivly. However the cost of living is ussually compensated by much higher pay and the quality of life is very good. I Like north of the city. We have less traffic. Like I said if you are in the area I can take you around you tell me what kind of area you like and I will show ya around. I have lived hear for 31 years. Maybe MFB can hook up with us and we can show ya how to drink Boston Style If you want to call me give me a shout any time (978) 985-0639

Jon
Old 03-10-2002, 10:43 PM
voodoo

I will definately be making a trip to Boston before anything is finalized. I ran a cost of living estimation today off the web and was a bit surprised to see I would need to double my current wage. This is a promotion so I need to take the cost of living calculation + the promotional amount to figure out where I need to be. I will be hashing out the numbers with my employer this week. The estimator I used did not take into consideration additional property taxes, childcare, insurance(home,car), etc. I would have to imagine all of these will be higher as well. By the way how is your winter weather? Coming from Iowa I am used to bitter cold and snow. Thanks to all who replied. I will be giving you all calls as things progress. If I make the visit I'll let you know.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The weather is moderated big time by the ocean. It is rare that is snows in town or on the coast. Go inland and you can get snow. It ussually does not stay around for long. This winter was VERY mild so do not look at this as a estimate. It would be nice. I am sure it is warmer hear then out were you are. The cost of a house is out of this world. Figure a apartment is about 800-1800 a month depending on the town you want to live in. The apartments go all over depending on LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Good thing is public transportation is really good.

Jon
Old 03-11-2002, 07:39 AM
voodoo

I currently live in a 1500 SF ranch with a two stall garage. This should bring about 125,000 - 140,000 here. I also have a 24x40 building I rent for my boat. I'd be looking for an area with good schools, middle class type neigborhood. From the looks of things, I'd probably be looking at 250,000 - 300,000 minimum for something similar. Also due to my job, driving would be part of the package. I assume traffic is a ***** all day everyday. I'm in Chicago and St. Louis alot now so I am used to the traffic.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Driving in the city SUCKS!!! The big dig has everything messed up right now. You can pick and choose your times however and get in and out no problem. Outside the city it is not so bad. Just have to find your location and go with it.

Jon
Old 03-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Voodoo: I have lived here all my life, 30years, and the boating is great. I boat in Boston Harbor. Audiofn is right, expect to pay 800 to 1800 usually the closer to Boston the higher the rent. I am in Winthrop and it is on the water, close to Boston and prices are reasonable. Give me a call if you want and I can send you some real estate sections from the paper to give you an idea. (617)846-5550 Matt