Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OSS racing in 09 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199029-oss-racing-09-a.html)

AIR TIME 11-20-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 2742004)
My dream race site would be a combination of a Poker Run,Boat race, Boat show mfg. and parts.,swap meet,Street party,venders and entertainment. Everyone in one location!!! Have fun things for boaters to participate in. Have possibly question and answer sessions in the pits with Tec people. I would think 30-50 race teams and 100-200 PR teams could generate some real noticeable revenue for any town.
MD :ernaehrung004:

that sounds cool!!

Bullhead 11-21-2008 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2742543)
Ok if thats what the fans want ,,,,,i quess ,,,,entrance fee is 150 per adult and kids under 14 pay 45 dollars !!!!

Because the racers pay tooooooooo much already, so who is going to pay for that ?

And then no fan is going to show up because of the $ ?!

Very COOL. LOL:eek:

The first race I attended was Key West in 01...it was and still is the best race I that I have been to...the f1, f2, super vee, scl, and super cat classes were easy to follow and there were a ton of boats in those classes....I don't recall that the entrance fee was that high but maybe I got in for a kids admission:drink:...I don't pretend to understand the politics and costs of racing but as a fan I know what I liked

boater31v 11-22-2008 01:27 PM

I have read quite a few good suggestions from racers and fans alike. I am a fan along with someone who likes photographing these boats. With that said, I would like to see a mini Key West type event at all OSS race sites in 09.

I like watching racing and I like watching poker run boats running around so having both in the same area would be fantastic. Need to have race villages by the water if possible and poker run villages again by the water if possible.

I know every race site can’t be Key West but possibly just getting all the boats in the same area at the same time would be close enough. I think if you could go to a sponsor and say you will have 150+ race and poker run boats running around on the water and through town would go along way toward acquiring sponsorship dollars. Additionally, let them know how many people each race and poker run team will have in town with them.

Back in the 90’s Key West and LOTO had the wet pits actually in the water where fans could walk up to a boat and really check it out, I think if a race site had a headquarters like that it would go along way toward garnering interest from the average Joe fan walking up on the event.

Unification would be perfect, but from what I’ve read that probably won’t happen between all orgs. Therefore, I think bringing the FPC or Poker Runs America or other local poker run orgs in would be a great benefit to an event. Average people want to see boats, large quantities or loud, cool painted boats whether it is 100+ race boats or 100+ race/poker run boats, I don’t think it would matter.

Finally, for ocean races I think the race boats should go outside as much as possible for the racers who like nostalgia racing (the old days). However, being a fan, I would like to see at least one portion of the race course go right in front of the fans so we can get a good, up close look at the baots while they are hanging it out (like Key West).

SpecialFX 11-30-2008 11:39 AM

Randy what about this comment from a poker run guy.

"Although from many who have switched over from Poker runs and going fast into the racing they have found the "turns" to be a bit challenging"

What about trying a long course at the appropriate venue, when OSS has a combined race with a poker run and maybe a few more Poker Run Race teams might join in. Many of the poker run teams now might as well be full blown Race Teams.

ssm-v1 11-30-2008 01:03 PM

an open spectator venues like P1 minium classes boat # 0-49 are 525 boats 50 and up is evo class makes it more enjoyable when you know who is racing who. They have street parades at every venue, live bands playing in the streets at night and more spectators then Keywest in 8 different counties all season. Every race is at a beach location plenty of room for to see the race

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-30-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P (Post 2743784)
In a week or two, I hope to announce our new TV show for 09. Just waiting to sign the contract.

I would like to see a Reality Show come into play and show the "Behind the Scenes" of what it takes to be an Offshore racer. Something like what the Geico team did on Discovery, but follow on how the whole race becomes a race and then the racers & boats themselves, what they have to do to get to that starting line...

I did a whole pictorial spread on the guys behind the scenes that brought us the "LIVE VIDEO" from Destin, Florida.

I got to see some of what went into getting those races live and the equipment that it took.

I hope for the best for you Ron ! Any TV is great TV ! :D

Check out the Destin pics here:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p348883142/slideshow

cauzmik 11-30-2008 02:41 PM

Make sure CANADA can see the show to...if not on TV then on the internet!

Doug

sbracing 11-30-2008 03:05 PM

A pro series needs to have 2 premier classes. Cat class and v class.

Everyone else races on Saturday or first race Sunday.
Look at every major motorsport. NHRA 4 classes, Grand-Am
2 classes, ALMS 4 Classes (Too many there as well) IRL 1 class, NASCAR 1 class.

As Far as I am concerned, the point of racing is to race.
Whether it is 45 MPH or 210. The rush is the door to door or deck to deck racing , not the speed. The big teams should forget about who is the fastest or has the trickest tow rig and
concentrate on racing. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but
why do we need so many cat classes. Think of what a Nascar
race would be like with the class set up offshore has.

43 cars:
1 car in Big block class
1 car in turbo
3 cars in nitrous small block class
25 cars in small block class
13 cars in 4 cylinder nitrous supercharger class

Need to build organization and show that makes these guys
willing to spend the money to sell or modify their equipment
to fit the 2 classes, Otherwise, there is no reason to change.
Don't know if that is even possible.

The key though is 2 classes.
So is TV and or live internet coverage.

Just my opinion,
Rich

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-30-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cauzmik (Post 2750021)
Make sure CANADA can see the show to...if not on TV then on the internet!

Doug

Hopefully many will be able to see it from the shoreline if OSS goes back to St Clair...

* Note: Flag in center of the shot:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...34335127-3.jpg

AB From Windsor 12-01-2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine (Post 2750045)
Hopefully many will be able to see it from the shoreline if OSS goes back to St Clair...

* Note: Flag in center of the shot:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...34335127-3.jpg

That would be great.