Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I would like to see some unification amongst the race organizations
Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Location for one. I live in north texas. Not really feasable for the average boater to fly out to Florida for every race. I know its not offshore, but these races aren't exactly openwater offshore racing anymore either. I remember last year there was a race on Quichita Lake in Arkansas, but not this year. It would be nice to have consistent annual schedule's. If they did that race every year on Quichita Lake I'd go. Texoma would be a good place too hint, hint...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Unification and less race classes.
ed
Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

1) I would like to see OFFSHORE racing, NOT LAKE RACING.
2) I would also like to see all classes run at the same time.
3) Saturday racing-so I can travel home on Sunday without taking extra time off from work.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
My dream race site would be a combination of a Poker Run,Boat race, Boat show mfg. and parts.,swap meet,Street party,venders and entertainment. Everyone in one location!!! Have fun things for boaters to participate in. Have possibly question and answer sessions in the pits with Tec people. I would think 30-50 race teams and 100-200 PR teams could generate some real noticeable revenue for any town.
MD
Hey, that sounds like the Desert Storm Poker Run in Havasu!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I think there should be more emphasis on boat manufacturers in the races (think Ford Vs Chevy Vs Dodge in NASCAR). Now it's just the "Geico boat" or the "Rio Roses boat" or what ever (what the heck is a Rio Roses anyway?!?) and they all look the same. I can identify an MTI from it's shape but that's about it. All the V hulls (other than the beak boats) look the same.

I think boat owners would form an attachment to a team running the same boats as they own and would be more inclined to follow the races. Even if they didn't own the same make they would still be able to relate. I doubt there will be any Baja's out there racing but I would root for a Cig.

Last edited by BajaFresh; 11-18-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Combine 850/750 class into UIM Class 1 rules. Allow any engine/drive combo and bill it as the premier class run as the last race with them and only them on the course at that time. Run all the other classes earlier. This would clarify things for the fans who have no idea who is racing who. Heat races/qualifying for pole position the day or 2 before. The whole weekend should be an event. Boat show, car show, poker run, festival. TV's showing up close action where the fans cant see, and PA system showing and annoucing the race with blow by blow commentary. I cant stand being at a race and having no idea what is going on. Unless you had a radio, or were next to the radio booth in KW no one had any idea what was happeneing.
A g-force meter, speedometer, tach, overlayed onto a live onboard feed shown online and on the displays int he pits/viewing area.
At least 1 Offshore endurance race, possibly as part of a 3 race championship series
IF you build it, they will come. (they being fans, racers and sponsors)
Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the family to Orange Beach this last summer to vacation and attend the OSS race there. This was my first offshore race, and I thought it was great - the whole family had a really nice time and a positive experience. We will probably do it again in 2009.

While I have a fairly limited knowledge of offshore racing, I tend to agree with some of the previous comments - it would be nice to see the racing organizations unify if it would mean more boats in the classes. I imagine it would increase the competitiveness and be an overall better show for the spectators with more boats.

As for race sites, I would really like to see OSS make a stop at Lake Cumberland in 2009. My understanding is that an OSS event was planned at some point in 2008, but did not ultimately receive Corps approval, so it did not happen – I was pretty bummed, as were many other Lake Cumberland boaters. Based on the turnout for the LC Poker Run every year, I’d say there would be overwhelming support for an OSS race at Cumberland and you would reach a fanbase who rarely gets an opportunity to see offshore race boats in action.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Unification would be great and has been tried for years. AMF has pushed for United we race for 4-5 years. I feel OSS and OPA have a shot at some form of unification at some level for the 09 season. It is clear in my opinion that SBI wants nothing to do with it at this time. I may be wrong. Now that we have that behind us lets keep moving forward on these great ideas.
As far as race sites there are plenty of great places to go. Its all about the money and which towns can afford to have us. Sometimes it is where sponsors want to spend there money. There also has to be a race producer that is willing to put a race on in that town. We all know that racing in general is not a money maker. Some people do better than others. To change this we need a better show with more boats per class. Racing needs more money to soften the expense and encouraged more people to race. Thats where we all can help each other and have a blast doing it. More people pulling together from different forms of boating. Who is in???
MD
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having enormous TV monitors running in the pit area, spectator area's poker run village, and whatever local Bar & Grill that's sponsoring would be a HUGE improvement too. As a side effect, it would also allow for some longer "Offshore" races since the fans would be able to follow the action 100% of the time, instead of one or two turns.

This is how they pack in the fans at golf & Tennis tournaments, F1 races, the Olympics, and other sports events that require a lot of "space". There are TONS of companies that will bring their stuff for free just to have their name advertized on the equipment that's being stared at for 3 days.

Quick Reply: OSS racing in 09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.