Notices

OSS racing in 09

Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met with a few people at a NASCAR race about doing some sor of scanner. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to talk to them more and start talking to the teams to see what can happen.

Besides I dont want to listen to randy on the radio.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Daredevel, I wish you luck as well. Im not bashing anyone. Just stating unification and who might be in and who at this time has no interest. Please by all means have John C. at SBI call Ron P. at OSS to talk about unity. Ron has made several attempts to talk but no takers at SBI. Now please lets not go down that road.
MD
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Blee, you are a smart man! I agree that we need to understand who is racing who. OSS is discussing that each class put a color on the front beak of the boat per class. That would be a start. I also like the idea of TV screens around the stands but not sure what the cost would be. Maybe a board with who is in what position like in car racing and more speakers for the announcers to be heard. If you had all that extra stuff would you be willing to pay $20.00-$30.00 per head at the gate.
What do you think it would cost to have a blimp show up? Do they charge or do they do it for the advertisement?
How else can a race site raise money to put on a race?
MD
Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Randy,

I dont know if we have ever met, but I have been on a few crews(Kean, AMF, and AMF/TNT, plus I have worked with Gary and Shane and Laveycraft) and driven a race or 2 also, here is my take on it............

Everyone has some great points above, but what about racing for the average Joe??

Open cockpits, maybe even a P-6 single outboard class, in this economy if ya wanna get the boat counts up, ya gotta make it affordable, a lot of what races in the other org(s) are open cockpits if ya can get that going, ya just might get unification. Otherwise we will all stick with our local guys (SBI, and OPA). If ya got a few boats for single outboard, I might even invest in a real motor, and trash the 225, until then I will stick to pleasure boating, and volunteering on other peoples crews.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails OSS racing in 09-5.jpg   OSS racing in 09-12.jpg   OSS racing in 09-hpim1101.jpg  

Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Randy i thought about it ?????????!!!!!!!!!
Now that i read this again (bashing SBI) i stay where im at and race SBI in 09.
Wish you luck buddy !

Daredevil! I didn't read any bashing in Randy's post, he was just saying it like it is and this is what my post #10, speaks to. The bickering between org's is exactly what is hurting the sport as a whole from a fans prospective. All I know and it isn't a lot, is that I have seen the olive branch offered by Ron from OSS to JC at SBI/APBA and others to try an get this sport back on track and especially when everybody needs each other to put on a great show in this economic meltdown. The number of Race Teams that attended Key West Offshore Worlds Championship was reportedly down quite a bit from last year and that is traditionally, one of the biggest race's in Offshore Powerboating Racing, each year. Why don't you try talking to JC and try to make, Unification happen. No matter what org. you race with the main theme is the same, to race against the competition, friends and have a great time together.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Rick I am with you on affordability. I struggled with my F1 boat and now my SVL. This is why we need bracket racing as well. Most teams bail on racing due to the expense with very little return. OPA has done A great gob at proving with no entry fee the boats will come. Now add bracket racing with spec racing at the same site and you have 60 boats at every race and growing. Sound familiar (APBA) in the day. Add a poker run into it and WOW we are in some fun. It all takes money and I would guess somewhere in the area of $150-$200K to put on such an event. Thats at least 5-10 $10K main sponsors and a bunch of $5K associate sponsors.
The beautiful thing is OSS is a not for profit organization which will put the money back in the racers hands. The more the Organization grows the better the sport will be and hopefully it will pay to race!
MD
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Having enormous TV monitors running in the pit area, spectator area's poker run village, and whatever local Bar & Grill that's sponsoring would be a HUGE improvement too. As a side effect, it would also allow for some longer "Offshore" races since the fans would be able to follow the action 100% of the time, instead of one or two turns.

This is how they pack in the fans at golf & Tennis tournaments, F1 races, the Olympics, and other sports events that require a lot of "space". There are TONS of companies that will bring their stuff for free just to have their name advertized on the equipment that's being stared at for 3 days.
Was done at a couple races and was a success. unfortunately costs money with no one to pick up the tab. There are so many things that can be done to make it more spectator and fan friendly. ie: on board web cams, telemetry, real time tracking on the racecourse with top speeds, lap speeds, laps completed, standings.....etc. unfortunately, again, costs money with no one to pick up the tab. oh well, we can dream
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered

single OB class has been offered on numerous occassions and failed every time. we dont need more classes, we need less. I may seem biased, but SVL class would be the best Nascar style class to promote. Safe, relatively inexpensive, exciting deck to deck racing. I can only imagine how cool 25 svls on the course would be. But larger class teams would never step down because they feel it a step in the wrong direction. But I'll tell you this. Almost any SVL team, currently running today, will kick any larger class team's azz in a SVL. IROC series, anyone?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 PM
JIM H
Charter Member

As a fan.The only thing i would like to see or hear. Is a P/A system for the fan's on the shore.
I was at the Patchogue. race, for the last 2 years. and it would be great if we could hear the play by play action going on.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
single OB class has been offered on numerous occassions and failed every time. we dont need more classes, we need less. I may seem biased, but SVL class would be the best Nascar style class to promote. Safe, relatively inexpensive, exciting deck to deck racing. I can only imagine how cool 25 svls on the course would be. But larger class teams would never step down because they feel it a step in the wrong direction. But I'll tell you this. Almost any SVL team, currently running today, will kick any larger class team's azz in a SVL. IROC series, anyone?

I agree bruce, but it hasnt been offered in FL. single outboard guys like myself cant take the time off, and spend the $$ to travel to joisy to race. I am not asking it to be a main event, just to add to the boat count, kinda like Arca and trucks are to Nascar, y'all really should consider an opener, it works for Nascar, and has been working for Rock bands as long as anyone can remember

Quick Reply: OSS racing in 09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.