Notices

OSS racing in 09

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPA offered it and many guys expressed interest. In the end, only one or two boats showed. SBI will not add a class without a commitment of boats. I doubt very much they would add a SOB class anyway. Can't add a class for one guy. Once again, we dont need anymore classes. We need less with more boats in each class. Lets not get off the topic of this thread. How can we make it better for the fans and for sport as a whole?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take The GPS Racing And Flush It Down The Toilet And Bring Back The A<B<C<D Classes From Years Ago ,,With The Rules We Had Years Ago,,Now That Was Racing
Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Rick I am with you on affordability. I struggled with my F1 boat and now my SVL. This is why we need bracket racing as well. Most teams bail on racing due to the expense with very little return. OPA has done A great gob at proving with no entry fee the boats will come. Now add bracket racing with spec racing at the same site and you have 60 boats at every race and growing. Sound familiar (APBA) in the day. Add a poker run into it and WOW we are in some fun. It all takes money and I would guess somewhere in the area of $150-$200K to put on such an event. Thats at least 5-10 $10K main sponsors and a bunch of $5K associate sponsors.
The beautiful thing is OSS is a not for profit organization which will put the money back in the racers hands. The more the Organization grows the better the sport will be and hopefully it will pay to race!
MD
I dont remember much about APBA(lived in the frozen tundra back then) I got in as APBA was on the way out, and SBI was all we had, not knocking OSS or OPA(attended Sunny Isles as a spectator this year, and was registered to race(throttle) OPA with Trent, but things didnt work out), but all I have in my backyard is SBI, and we all know that has issues.

Sorry, but I have a job during the week, and a house and Family to support, if ya cant make it local and affordable(I am not even asking for profitable), I'll sit aside(and help those who can use my assistance), and a lot of people feel that way. I have been told by a few race teams that I bring them back into perspective, we all know how many teams have ruined their finances by racing, and was even called the team psycho(logist) by one. I wish we could get it together sometime soon, all racers jab each other, but in the long run we are all friends, its not in the cards(or bank) for me or a lot of other guys right now. We need to get it back to the weekend warriors like myself(and a few superstar classes to bring the people in), and take it from there. excuse me if this doesnt make sense, but I have had a few,s tonight
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Take The GPS Racing And Flush It Down The Toilet And Bring Back The A<B<C<D Classes From Years Ago ,,With The Rules We Had Years Ago,,Now That Was Racing
This is what the topic is...OSS is spec racing. No GPS.

There is a need for GPS/ bracket racing. otherwise, there would be a whole bunch of obsolete race boats.

But we really need to build up the spec classes. Thats where the level playing field is.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Bruce,
I'm un-biased, the largest class in history was the old "A" class. There were over 35 boats in Key West for the Worlds. Imagine if "A" class were resurected, all boats in F1, P5, P6, and SVL would qualify. "A" class use to run at least 75 miles, not the sprint races of today. This gave some incentive for a slower reliable boat.
Now, someone with money can have their own class. Imagine if I wanted to run in the Super Duper Supreme Turbine Unlimited Jet Catamaran Class, I could race no one be a World Champ! (In reality, I'd be happy to get my class 6 boat running consistantly!) Build a boat for a class, not a class for A boat!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

Hey Bob...Im right there with ya. I dont think "A" class has any chance of a come back , much like F-1. We need to build on a existing class that is working now. Thats Why my vote lies with SVL. Remeber what killed A class? Canopies. thats like runnin a SVL against a F-1 aint gonna happen and as you have seen, open cockpits are gettin dangerous.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Less classes with more boats per class.

2. One class per race, more laps.

3. Less down time between races.

4. All of the above for ways to follow the race; radio, PA, monitors, digital standings board, programs, etc.

5. Poker run to go with event.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Karaokemike
I met with a few people at a NASCAR race about doing some sor of scanner. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to talk to them more and start talking to the teams to see what can happen.

Besides I dont want to listen to randy on the radio.
mike
call me i have a contact for this type of radio. got one at the airshow this year for 10 and want to look into this also
mike
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
OPA offered it and many guys expressed interest. In the end, only one or two boats showed. SBI will not add a class without a commitment of boats. I doubt very much they would add a SOB class anyway. Can't add a class for one guy. Once again, we dont need anymore classes. We need less with more boats in each class. Lets not get off the topic of this thread. How can we make it better for the fans and for sport as a whole?
ADD MORE BOATS!!!!!!!

C'mon Bruce, I know ya can read

I dont care how ya break it down you are not going to get anymore people to invest the big $$$ into racing what YOU want to run, in fact you seem to be losing more each year.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
1. Less classes with more boats per class.

2. One class per race, more laps.

3. Less down time between races.

4. All of the above for ways to follow the race; radio, PA, monitors, digital standings board, programs, etc.

5. Poker run to go with event.
DITTO!!

Quick Reply: OSS racing in 09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.