Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   P class, what I wrote in 04 and now (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199121-p-class-what-i-wrote-04-now.html)

Captnmike 11-20-2008 11:31 AM

Yes, you are correct(kind of wasn't thinking about it, closed course way). But always in all boating the overtaking boat has the responsiblity of a safe pass, not just racing. And always slow boat on the inside.

If you get a few minutes to to the ulhra.org and look at the 08 Chamberlain final. I had my escape hatch break open and was trying to get to the pits...and was about killed by an overtaking boat....next time I'll let it sink before I cross the course...there are other boats but only ONE me!

Mike

BajaFresh 11-20-2008 12:05 PM

Wow, Mike. Those UL's are bad azz! How fast do you run?

This is my main concern when running with way faster boats. I will try to stay on the inside but you are at the mercy of the overtaking boat. What if he doesn't see you, misjudges your speed, has a mech failure? I understand racing has inherent dangers, but as an amateur, un-sponsored racer, I would like to see as much safety as possible.

The Rum Run is basically an open course so not too much to worry about. I got to be a safety boat in the Ventura POBRA race a few years back and it was a closed course. It was a great experience and there was some overtaking but not a large variance in speed.

Captnmike 11-20-2008 12:43 PM

Somewhere around 150-160 mph.....and then you turn...and only the losers lift!!!
Mike

fantastixvoyage 11-20-2008 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Captnmike (Post 2743690)
If you get a few minutes to to the ulhra.org
Mike

Of course I go right to the classifieds (I swear I have a sickness)! LOL

Wonder if this one includes the sponsor?! Hahah they're everywhere!

zitoracing 11-20-2008 05:20 PM

That sounds fun to me I would like to do it. I think you have a great Idea.

AIR TIME 11-20-2008 06:59 PM

opa is fine the way it is p6 class is a great class to start no boats over 28 ft and singles only, when I raced in 02 cape cod race apba it was so rough we didn't go over 40mph then my bolster broke and my navigator said thats it pull over,:rolleyes: we made it to 2nd place butnot for long thats when I pulled over:mad:but OPA is doing good my friend won a lot of the races with a 18yr old boat with OBs in p5 now class 5. artie

BRUCE SEROFF 11-20-2008 07:11 PM

class 6 is 26 foot max.

1waterboy1 11-20-2008 09:03 PM

No offense Mike,but I dont think this idea makes any sense at all.The most exciting part of the race for the racers and the fans is the side by side starts and the first few turns of the race.I do agree that the boats do begin to spread out after a few laps;but that is true in all forms of boat racing.

You can certainly relate;as heat wiiners in hydroplane racing are usually determined by nailing the start, capturing the ever important inside lane,and coming out of turn one in the lead.

In my opinion,the way to keep the racing as exciting as possible for the racers and the fans;is to run more laps on shorter courses in the ocean.Dealing with alot of turns,encountering boats running slower and faster in other classes, and the varying water conditions of the ocean; the crews will be forced to be on their game the entire race.These situations provide for alot of position changes as we saw last year throughout the OPA season.In one turn ,you could easily pass ,or be passed, by a number of boats in your class.

Captnmike 11-21-2008 06:59 AM

Think about what your saying and how do you sell that to the casual fan? What needs to be exciting, is the last few turns not the first few.

1waterboy1, you should watch some of our finals. We have boats with smallblocks to blown alcohol motors putting on a show. We make the blower boats stay to the outside lanes for the first lap. And 75% of our races are the blower boats trying to chase down the carb boats. It truly makes for a heck of a show. Excitement the whole 5 miles.

Offshore could adapt our 5 mile heats, but personally offshore should not become stadium racing...go buy an inboard if you want stadium racing.

Mike