Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   nyc boat show cancelled? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199161-nyc-boat-show-cancelled.html)

McGary911 11-22-2008 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by rtaylor (Post 2744952)
McGary:

You used to live in the City but now live in Jax? We have something in common. Just moved there from NYC.

Randy

Close. Lived on the Jersey Shore, worked in the city, and my company (ML) moved me to JX.

I am looking forward to hitting one of the legendary boat shows down here, either Lauderdale or Miami. That's a 5 hour drive tho. (see, still on topic :) )

Joe92GT 11-22-2008 09:49 AM

The Javits center is pricing itself out of the convention market. If anyone here has ever been an exhibitor there, they will know what I mean.

They have really high prices, extremely high paid union laborers that you need 3 of to do anything, and its becoming less of a destination. Compare to Orlando, or New Orleans at much cheaper pricing, and cheap airfare its a matter of time before all conventions start leaving.

Boat, car, motorcyle, and other shows like them that have to be regional will be the only ones left.

Top Banana 11-22-2008 12:14 PM

Boat shows are becoming a thing of the past.

When a big company like Mercury decides that they did not deem it worthwhile, to spend the money to be at the Fort Lauderdale Boat show a couple of weeks ago, that speaks volumes.

The internet is becoming the choice of many builders now as the range is so wide and each interested buyer can actually get a real answer from the ones in the know, they won't be dealing with a "fill in for the boat show help guy."

Pismo10 11-22-2008 12:17 PM

The union scams at the NYC boat show have/are killing it. They steal, charge outrageous fees to do nothing, are mandatory. It sucks. Miami--the ultimate show.

TSPM 11-22-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pismo10 (Post 2745104)
The union scams at the NYC boat show have/are killing it. They steal, charge outrageous fees to do nothing, are mandatory. It sucks. Miami--the ultimate show.

$150.00 to plug in an extention cord and another $150.00 to unplug it.:mad:

Sounds like the UAW ..... and we know where thats headed :rolleyes:

bojoe2 11-22-2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TSPM (Post 2745224)
$150.00 to plug in an extention cord and another $150.00 to unplug it.:mad:

Sounds like the UAW ..... and we know where thats headed :rolleyes:

Hell I run a Union/Non Union company in NJ /NY Journeyman w package cost me $97.00 per hour and we need to make sonething on top of that. The Unions ruined it the workers are making big money 200k its sick
And Oama is pro union so its only going to get worse

dmaxx3500 11-22-2008 07:46 PM

the same thing happened at the chicago trade show ,all because of the unions

J-Bonz 11-22-2008 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by rtaylor (Post 2744952)
McGary:

You used to live in the City but now live in Jax? We have something in common. Just moved there from NYC.

Randy

Randy,
Where did you live in the city? And what was this story Wild Bill was telling me about in miami with a helicopter?
Jr.

Tom A. 11-23-2008 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by bojoe2 (Post 2744917)
Tom your rite it was canceled and then they reschedule it a week earlier. discounted booths. it will be a flop no money no loans no boat sales. maybe we can still do the njppc annual lace run www.laceclubs.com
:party-smiley-004::ernaehrung004:

Absolutely, I always go each year just for the parties..... and to see which jumpsuit Reggie is wearing!:party-smiley-004: