Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tunnel Tab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199275-tunnel-tab.html)

mmareno 11-23-2008 02:24 PM

Tunnel Tab

I just bought a 2002 38' Ocean Express. I don't have any seat time it but I was told from the previous owner that the boat porpuses at 70-85 then it will push through once you get over that speed.
I plan on repowering the boat. It has 572/750hp motors with ASD-8 Arnesons. The boat doesn't have trim cylinders and I also was told to add them as well.
I am going to push the motors to 900hp's

I appreciate you help and any advice you could give me on this boat.. New beast for me but very excited about it!!

Thanks in advance

jimdarr40 11-23-2008 03:31 PM

are you talking trim tabs or an actual tunnel tab, big difference

Bobthebuilder 11-23-2008 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2745643)
I just bought a 2002 38' Ocean Express. I don't have any seat time it but I was told from the previous owner that the boat porpuses at 70-85 then it will push through once you get over that speed.
I plan on repowering the boat. It has 572/750hp motors with ASD-8 Arnesons. The boat doesn't have trim cylinders and I also was told to add them as well.
I am going to push the motors to 900hp's

I appreciate you help and any advice you could give me on this boat.. New beast for me but very excited about it!!

Thanks in advance

First of all congratulations on your purchase. I was going to direct you to the OE forum but I see you made a post over there. The Menace, who answered your post knows his stuff and he is a great source of helpful info.
Enjoy,
Bob

WARPARTY36 11-24-2008 10:15 AM

I don't know anything about the OE brand, but I would avoid a tunnel tab like the plague:eek:

There is a reason that most mfg.'s do not put them on a pleasure boat. If you forget that its down or the trim indicator malfunctions in a turn, you WILL get wet.

Then we'll have a 15 page thread with everyone whining about insurance rates, bullet proof life vests, and kill switches:rolleyes::ernaehrung004:

mmareno 11-24-2008 07:34 PM

The menace did answer me. Thanks. I am so excited about it . I can't wait until we get some good weather. I wanted to put it in about a weekago. The plan was good but the snow hindered the launch... Someone was looking out for me to tell me I should stay working and save some money for fuel next year!! Instead of playing in the cold now..

I don't think the tunnel tab will happen "menace" told me about the rolo's. The previous owner told me the same thing when they bought it. So I guess I will be getting some rolo's under the tree this year....

Thanks and look forward to New era of the 'Cat" world

:ernaehrung004: