Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199330-lookout-bought-baja-now-i-have-question.html)

marlenemwa 11-24-2008 08:22 PM

LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question

I am SO excited.. just bought a 94 Baja Bandit II 24' . Boat is in nearly new condition.
After the test run, I had it professionally winterized and am now counting the days until spring.

Question: (I'm sure the first of many...)

Should I pay the extra for indoor storage? The boat has been stored indoors it's whole life. I had to be a new bad mommy, but holy crap, storage is pricey.
IF I opt for outdoor strorage (I have room), what should I do to take the best care of it I can?
I live in WA state.

Thanks so much,

Marlene

Indy 11-24-2008 08:33 PM

If it's winterized properly just have it shrink wrapped and it'll do just fine. Have a door put in so you can get in and check it out once in a while. Save the door for next winter when you take the shrink wrap off and you'll save a few bucks. All of my boats have lived outside during the Connecticut winter.

pm203 11-24-2008 09:14 PM

If the indoor storage is heated, than DO IT! Indoor heated storage keeps your boat so much nicer.

Quinlan 11-25-2008 05:48 AM

In doors all the way. Even if not heated I just could not stand to see my toys w snow on them.

29KILROY 11-25-2008 05:58 AM

Indoors

Indy 11-25-2008 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 2746642)
If the indoor storage is heated, than DO IT! Indoor heated storage keeps your boat so much nicer.

How?

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 2746761)
If boat was new indoor storage!Interior will get few more years

I stored my brand new Nordic outside in a Connecticut winter next to the house...no issues at all. How do you get more years out of indoor storage?

95% of the boats in my area are outdoors, many of the boats make our offshore rigs looks like tenders, they make it just fine too.

I'm not trying to create an issue here but indoor storage is pricey, pricey enough for me to store outside and use my hard earned money elsewhere. I'm not aware of outside storage issues so if there are facts regarding outside storage I'd like to know for the next boat I get. I've had my Nordic, PowerPlay, Sea Ray, and others all outside properly winterized and shrink wrapped, you cut the cover off in the spring and it looks just like the day it went under the wrap.

dreamer 11-25-2008 11:26 AM

for me it depends on ratio of cost of storage to cost of boat

5mo at 400 a month is 2k... if u got the boat for min teens thats a high cost ratio... if its a 40k boat the ratio is less

id go outside wrapped with a door and add some sort of de humidifiers in the boat they make cheap hanging ones u can swap out over the the winter

pm203 11-25-2008 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2746784)
How?

I stored my brand new Nordic outside in a Connecticut winter next to the house...no issues at all. How do you get more years out of indoor storage?

95% of the boats in my area are outdoors, many of the boats make our offshore rigs looks like tenders, they make it just fine too.

I'm not trying to create an issue here but indoor storage is pricey, pricey enough for me to store outside and use my hard earned money elsewhere. I'm not aware of outside storage issues so if there are facts regarding outside storage I'd like to know for the next boat I get. I've had my Nordic, PowerPlay, Sea Ray, and others all outside properly winterized and shrink wrapped, you cut the cover off in the spring and it looks just like the day it went under the wrap.

Indoor heated storage maintains the boat at a constant temperature. When a boat is outside, shrinkwrapped, it is exposed to severe temperature fluctuations, which creates condensation on everything. That cannot be good, especially for the electronics. Also, the vinyl ages faster and may crack, the gelcoat can spiderweb and it is hard on the paint. Does this happen every time to all boats? I doubt it, but you cannot tell me that a boat never exposed to these harsher conditions doesn't benefit with the overall condition in the long run.