Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   May need to ad scoop to hatch cover - looing for advice/pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19998-may-need-ad-scoop-hatch-cover-looing-advice-pics.html)

kook 03-12-2002 08:52 PM

May need to ad scoop to hatch cover - looing for advice/pics

Running into a clearance problem. Talk deck BBC motor with Brodix single plane high rise - we're about 2.5-3 inches short on hatch clearance. I was thinking of putting a small scoop on, but do not wish to make it obnoxious (sp?) looking. Was thinking of a scoop covered with padding and vinyl, to match the sunpad. If anyone has advice or pics of something along these lines, please post a reply.

thanks,

Mark

GO4BROKE 03-12-2002 08:59 PM

Why is obnoxious bad? I want 2 obnoxious scoops for my boat! Preferably with 2 obnoxious blowers under them!:D Is it possible to raise the sunpad? I have seen Sonic notch the underside of the engine hatch to allow blower clearance, with a piece of steel over the hole, under the upholstry, so it retians a stock apearance. Good Luck!!

kook 03-12-2002 09:07 PM

There's only about 3/4" of hatch to cut up into.... The hatch can be raised maybe an inch (max) as well - so that leaves us about an inch short. For once I am honestly saying that I wish I had that extra inch! :eek:

Cignificant 03-12-2002 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't gonna say anything on this board yet, but now you got me started:)

I knew I had to add scoops to get clearance for new blowers. I shopped around, and found some I liked from Unlimited Products in Corona, Ca. Not too tall, not too long - just right. They took six weeks to build. What a disappointment when I got them - thin walled, unpainted, blemishes everywhere, not uniform in size. Oh well, I said, nothing a little putty and sanding won't fix..

So, I did all the touch up and was ready to paint. Just so happens that I put them in direct sunlight on the day I was going to paint, and they started to "bubble". I guess air was trapped in pockets in the fiberglass and expanded in the heat, causing the bubbles. I had to gouge out all the bubbles with a razor blade and fill, then re-sand, and then fill some more. What a pain. And I still don't know if more heat (90 degree day?) will cause more of them.

I sent a letter to UP this week with pictures. I don't know how they will respond. Here is one of the pictures.

boater31 03-12-2002 09:17 PM

i have blowers on my cig and ran into the same problem and didnt want to screw up the sunpad. check out cp performance. i got hatch inserts from them, about 2-2.5" deep that you cut in to the hatch and cut the foam from the pad. works great! the pad is hard in those 2 spots but i didnt have to cut scoops thru it