If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

May need to ad scoop to hatch cover - looing for advice/pics

Running into a clearance problem. Talk deck BBC motor with Brodix single plane high rise - we're about 2.5-3 inches short on hatch clearance. I was thinking of putting a small scoop on, but do not wish to make it obnoxious (sp?) looking. Was thinking of a scoop covered with padding and vinyl, to match the sunpad. If anyone has advice or pics of something along these lines, please post a reply.

Charter Member #1055/Moderator Charter Member GO4BROKE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 386
    I  Voted
    Why is obnoxious bad? I want 2 obnoxious scoops for my boat! Preferably with 2 obnoxious blowers under them! Is it possible to raise the sunpad? I have seen Sonic notch the underside of the engine hatch to allow blower clearance, with a piece of steel over the hole, under the upholstry, so it retians a stock apearance. Good Luck!!

There's only about 3/4" of hatch to cut up into.... The hatch can be raised maybe an inch (max) as well - so that leaves us about an inch short. For once I am honestly saying that I wish I had that extra inch!

Charter Member Charter Member Cignificant's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1998 26' Boston Whaler
    Richmond, VA
    I wasn't gonna say anything on this board yet, but now you got me started

I knew I had to add scoops to get clearance for new blowers. I shopped around, and found some I liked from Unlimited Products in Corona, Ca. Not too tall, not too long - just right. They took six weeks to build. What a disappointment when I got them - thin walled, unpainted, blemishes everywhere, not uniform in size. Oh well, I said, nothing a little putty and sanding won't fix..

So, I did all the touch up and was ready to paint. Just so happens that I put them in direct sunlight on the day I was going to paint, and they started to "bubble". I guess air was trapped in pockets in the fiberglass and expanded in the heat, causing the bubbles. I had to gouge out all the bubbles with a razor blade and fill, then re-sand, and then fill some more. What a pain. And I still don't know if more heat (90 degree day?) will cause more of them.

I sent a letter to UP this week with pictures. I don't know how they will respond. Here is one of the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have blowers on my cig and ran into the same problem and didnt want to screw up the sunpad. check out cp performance. i got hatch inserts from them, about 2-2.5" deep that you cut in to the hatch and cut the foam from the pad. works great! the pad is hard in those 2 spots but i didnt have to cut scoops thru it