Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this oil changer any good? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20001-oil-changer-any-good.html)

BAJA WILL 03-13-2002 09:48 AM

I have the one Audiofn is talking about, I used to use the eletric pump, I like the cylinder one better.

However I will only be using it one more time, I am putting in the drail hose from eddiemarine for $16, got it in the mail last week:D

WILL

CigDaze 03-13-2002 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Jeff
my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd. :D
Jeff, LMAO:D

I'm with everyone else here. You'll be hating life trying to pump that oil out by hand. Get the electric models, It's a lot less painful, will last longer and will save hassle. Or spring for the quick-drain kits that drains through the transom drain hole. That's the way, I've been doing it for two seasons and I love it. Just bring the engine up to operating temp, pull the hose through the drain, open the plug and while I drink a brew or two it drains itself.
:cool:

Turbojack 03-13-2002 10:20 AM

I use the hose connected to the oil pan. When I get home from lake, I stick out the drain plug, put end in bucket & take cap of end. I come back latter, put cap back on new filter, new oil & ready to go again.

I had the electric pump that you had to put one end in bucket but if you do not hold on to end it will come out & get oil all over bilge & make big mess.

Holy Smokes 03-13-2002 10:34 AM

Drain Kits Install

How in the "H - E - double hockey-stick" would you get the self drain kit installed without pulling the engine? I have to do a total head stand in the engine comparment just to get to the manifold drain plugs. The oil pan seems like another mile away and the bilge pump is a distant friend that I can see, but, have never laid hands on... thank god it works great. I have a Baja 240 Islander with a 502 Mag.

I'd have to hire a contortionist (sp?) to do any more. Any help is appreciated.

kook 03-13-2002 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I do trailer (but I don't do trailer trash :D ) . How does the drain kit work? I assume you don't have to pull your pan plug each time, correct?

SeaDated 03-13-2002 11:08 AM

I like that one. I have used mine for 6 years with no trouble. It's fast, light, very portable. I use it to change fluids in my truck rear end, power steering, trim pumps, everything. I also use it to drain the truck trans the night before dropping the pan to change the filter. That way I don't make a mess and get rained on the whole time I'm under the truck. It's great.

Bo Knows 03-13-2002 11:17 AM

I also use the same one that audiofn & 27 fountain use & it works great. It even works on cold engines. I bought it at West Marine. They make them with different size holding tanks so get one with a tank big enough to drain one engine without dumping.

Reckless32 03-13-2002 11:26 AM

I'd belly up to the electric one for ease, durability and time saved. I've tried'em all. If you're stuck on saving a buck and go for the hand pump version, my advice is warm up the engine to thin the oil and make it easier.....

Rick

OnTheBay 03-13-2002 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Jeff
my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd. :D
Well darn I always wondered what that slick was at the car wash:D

Scott 03-13-2002 11:35 AM

I like the pail w/electric pump. You can reverse it and fill your waste containers without spilling a drop. The pump is also srong enough to drain a cold motor.