If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is this oil changer any good?

Boat US is having a decent sale price on this unit - anyone use it? If so, you like it or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charter Member #1055/Moderator Charter Member GO4BROKE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 386
    I  Voted
    I tried a couple of the cheap oil changers. Not worth the hassle, and I broke all of them after a couple of uses. Spend the $150 for a good electric one that is mounted on a bucket, I don't remember the brand, but I can find out if you need it. It was worth every penny, does a great job and has a rebuildable pump if it does break.

My Boats:
    37 Active Thunder
    medford, nj usa

I have used that one before, and it even lasted a full season. What a great workout though. I would pony up the extra $ an go for the electric. You can kick back and relax and let the pump do all the work.

My Boats:
    Silverton 34C. Also '97 Seadoo GTI and various other small craft.
    Parkesburg, Pa.
    You trailer, right? Then why hassle with a pump? Get a drain kit for your pan and it'll be quick, clean and easy. Hose fits right out thru the transom drain. Hey, I think I have an old one laying around here if you want it!
    I've since gone to a PreLuber for my rig (, but the ol' drain hose works great.
    Last edited by arks; 03-12-2002 at 09:39 PM.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Tinkerer's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2001 Daytona 26, 1992 SCARAB 34, 1989 25 Checkmate Convincer, 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX 18
    ALTO, MI

Or you could just buy one of the rotory vane pumps that fit in a drill and a double ended washer hose and use your own bucket for a lot less money.
    Hey even if it ain't broke it's still fun to tinker with it.

My Boats:
    Zodiac RIB
    Grand Haven, MI USA
    Go to West Marine and buy the electric pump with the bucket. They are on sale for $125. Worth every penny. The others leak or don't work. Get the oil drain hose from Eddie marine and pump it from the pan. 8 qts in 3min. Cold!!!!!

my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd.

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    I have a hand pump one that I love!!! Just have to pump it a couple of times and walk away and drink a beer!!! It is a tall clear cylinder and it had a couple of attachments that come with it. My SK tools guy had it but I think I have seen it at Boat US as well. Also it has a nice pour spout so if you have to get your old oil back into the small containers no problem I think it cost 40 bucks and I like it MUCH better then the electric. Plus it is plastic so you do not scratch anything.

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    The plastic bucket changer is the only one I have found that will work and hold up-all the marinas use them. I must confess that I have not used the one that Jon mentions though. You can also do the bilge trick if you have a good bilge pump, just throw oin a little Tide with that 1/4 " in the bottom
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast