Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where is the Cigarette Market at ?? >

Where is the Cigarette Market at ??

Notices

Where is the Cigarette Market at ??

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, good call, Dreamer! Some peeps don't fully understand the magnitude of how bad the boating market really is.

Originally Posted by dreamer
some of u have still not come to grips with what these really means in the real world.... not to mention go fast egocentric single male toyland
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MES
$99K???????????? I'll take as many as you can get for that price. You said it, "it has to be priced properly to sell it" and you are right, but just because you have a budget, doesn't mean everything you want to buy is only worth what you can afford............. We might need to start a bayliner forum for you guys.
Actually, it has nothing to do with me, I just can't figure out why an 01 can be priced at 169K, and then you see an 03 at 150K, and then you see and 07 at 250K, but then you also see an 04 at 250K also.

There is no continuity.

The bayliner joke is classic though.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by dreamer
yes but it went BEFORE the financial meltdown...

some of u have still not come to grips with what these really means in the real world.... not to mention go fast egocentric single male toyland
REAL WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!...........................your still boatless, biotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Actually, it has nothing to do with me, I just can't figure out why an 01 can be priced at 169K, and then you see an 03 at 150K, and then you see and 07 at 250K, but then you also see an 04 at 250K also.

There is no continuity.

The bayliner joke is classic though.
There never has been any continuity in the boat market and there never will be. Very similiar boats always bring different amounts. Just becuase you see a 03 Top Gun get sold for $120k (and I'm making that number up) doesn't mean every 03 Top Gun is worth $120k. I know of a CLEAN 2002 with 575's that sold in the past month for more than they are asking for that 2003. Why? Becuase it was worth more.

It's just like a car, if you have (2) 2003 SL500 that roll through the auction why does one do $31,000 and one do $34,000? Becuase of the color, miles, and the history....same thing with a boat.

I know that you'd like to buy a T/S Gun, but what you think they are worth is just too low (at the current time), and odds are (and I'm not saying ever) you won't find one for what you think they are worth....at this time.

If Rice Hauler could be bought for $99k it would be gone before you even had a chance to think about buying it. That would be a no brainer to anybody. But, as I said to you earlier, find a boat you like...make an offer. They either say yes or no but don't be upset when everyone keeps saying no at the numbers you are thinking.

My $.02
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr
There never has been any continuity in the boat market and there never will be. Very similiar boats always bring different amounts. Just becuase you see a 03 Top Gun get sold for $120k (and I'm making that number up) doesn't mean every 03 Top Gun is worth $120k. I know of a CLEAN 2002 with 575's that sold in the past month for more than they are asking for that 2003. Why? Becuase it was worth more.

It's just like a car, if you have (2) 2003 SL500 that roll through the auction why does one do $31,000 and one do $34,000? Becuase of the color, miles, and the history....same thing with a boat.

I know that you'd like to buy a T/S Gun, but what you think they are worth is just too low (at the current time), and odds are (and I'm not saying ever) you won't find one for what you think they are worth....at this time.

If Rice Hauler could be bought for $99k it would be gone before you even had a chance to think about buying it. That would be a no brainer to anybody. But, as I said to you earlier, find a boat you like...make an offer. They either say yes or no but don't be upset when everyone keeps saying no at the numbers you are thinking.

My $.02
Rice Hauler did sell for less than 99K from Coopers.

I'll just keep my little Magnum for now. It outruns the TS's on my lake anyway.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Rice Hauler did sell for less than 99K from Coopers.

I'll just keep my little Magnum for now. It outruns the TS's on my lake anyway.
It may have, but it could have sold for $50k. Would you think it's only worth $50k? Just becuase he got a smokin deal on it doesn't mean he has to pass it on tot he next guy, I know you'd like that but it's not the way it necessarily works. If you can make a buck on it, why not? There is a fair market value for everything....it's more than $99k.

How come you didn't buy it?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

It may have, but it could have sold for $50k. Would you think it's only worth $50k? Just becuase he got a smokin deal on it doesn't mean he has to pass it on tot he next guy, I know you'd like that but it's not the way it necessarily works. If you can make a buck on it, why not? There is a fair market value for everything....it's more than $99k.

How come you didn't buy it?
Bad year last year. I probably would have made more money, if I wouldn't have spent 50% of every work day trying to figure out how to buy that boat.

Another one will come along. They always do.

I am glad these things are worth what you guys say, so that when I finally get one bought right, I can sell it to you guys.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One went for 34K because the dealer had his buddy standing there with him and it was going to be his personal car.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping

I am going to purchase either a 38 TS 36 Gladiator or a mid 30' catamaran (skater MTI). I have been planning this purchase for about 10 months. My original plan had me buying just after Christmas as I felt that would be pretty well the bottom of the market.

I am a cash buyer but in talking with my banker and some in the marine business it appears there is very little money to lend for boats and high performance is some of the least desirable paper. This means that most deals will need to be cash or home equity loans. With this in mind I am taking a wait and see attitude. I went through this in 1991 and bought to soon. When is too soon? I guess just before the first upturn.
Steve
Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
I am going to purchase either a 38 TS 36 Gladiator or a mid 30' catamaran (skater MTI). I have been planning this purchase for about 10 months. My original plan had me buying just after Christmas as I felt that would be pretty well the bottom of the market.

I am a cash buyer but in talking with my banker and some in the marine business it appears there is very little money to lend for boats and high performance is some of the least desirable paper. This means that most deals will need to be cash or home equity loans. With this in mind I am taking a wait and see attitude. I went through this in 1991 and bought to soon. When is too soon? I guess just before the first upturn.
Steve
To soon is the day you do it. Like meeting the girl of your dreams at your own wedding reception.

Quick Reply: Where is the Cigarette Market at ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.