Old 03-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say What ????
Old 03-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to say....."Ask T2x what HE thinks of popped boats".......no need.........knew he couldnt stay away from that one.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

If there were any solid legal remedies for splashing then Paul Allison would have become a very rich man. (90 % of today's hi-performance bass boats use his running surface from the lat e60's/early 70's)Ranger paid him and Darris in 73/74 for the Ranger/Allison,nobody else did.Bob Hammond paid Linder for the 21'Challenger running surface,doubt if anyone else did and there are still copies out there. Glastron's V156 holds the distinction of the most copied tri-hull runabout( over 50 splashes) but Glastron let it go,too much trouble and expense for vague laws.Many manufactures realize how easy it is to pop a good design. Is it ethical? No. Does it make good business sense? Sometimes. Depends on your point of view.The builders we deal with don't pop,it makes me feel better,but we always haveto deal with the guys that take the easy way. Not fair, but a fact of our industry,sad but true.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:37 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

This summer while driving thro a town an the outskirts of Lake George I Saw what I thought was a 24 Skater for sale. It looked identical to Shane's 24 except for a slight variation on the forward deck. I was very surprised to see that someone had made a clone. I was also surprised on the price of the boat. If memory serves me right it was something like $18K with twin 300 Evimrude's and trailer. It needed some real TLC but it was priced a lot cheaper than any Skater that I seen. It just shows that the clones do not hold the resale of the original.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We are very glad we have a patent on the design and the use of the "wing" on a watercraft. It gives us a few rights. Either way, splashing is wrong any way you look at it and they never build to the quality of the original. It's like the guy who coppied everyone's work in school, he may get the grade that quarter, but he doesn't learn anything. And he could not do it on his own the next time.
Chris Reindl
Old 03-13-2002, 08:47 PM
FlashptA10

I copied
I learned You are an idiot
How else does everybody learn
they have a teacher

daaaa

If you have a scew and turn it he wrong way
does it fasten????

How many light bulbs does it take to screw in a ???????

Last edited by FlashptA10; 03-13-2002 at 08:57 PM.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:04 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

flat out copying of an existing, current production, #1, top seller and takign credit for it is f***ing bull****.

In terms of quality seem sliek those $20 rolex's you can buy in china town some look pretty real until the paint falls off the L and you realize its a romex.....

but liek i said there should be some conpensation fand credit for splashes of old non production hulls, if not an outright purhase of the origonal molds
Old 03-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Moon_nites

Question

As much as a pain in the ass it is to figure out his damned language he's using, I agree with Puder as far as I can see that the techniques, layup, material, hardware, shoot their are a bunch of things in my opinion that can't be copied. Who's to say the company who's splashing is going to be sucessful! Just my $.02

Old 03-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Banned

I can't believe that this was legal. Hell, people get sued for recording songs that are similar to another one. I think that if a builder can't produce some documentation about design, they should be barred from producing the product. Splashing will choke any new designs, because the builder won't be able to recapture the cost of design if they have to compete with companies that have no R&D costs. They will have to stick with older designs or price themselves out of the market.

Quick Reply: Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.