Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boats 4sale in the Classifieds #s falling?? >

Boats 4sale in the Classifieds #s falling??

Notices

Boats 4sale in the Classifieds #s falling??

Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boats 4sale in the Classifieds #s falling??

I've been watching boats forsale in the classifieds numbers has been falling was in 1000s now in the 700s. I would think with down times it would be the other direction. What am I missing?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

It could be that advertisers are pulling ads off of this site because the site has fewer eyeballs.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It has to do with there are so few buyers, so why spend money to advertise. Look at the the big fishing mags like Marlin, they were full of brokers and full of boats for sale. Brokers don't want to take multipage ads out when no one is buying, it costs 10's of thousands and across many magazines it's lots of money!

Look at the boats on here that have been advertised for more than 2 years and still not sold!!!!

There comes a point where you wait for the market to change before throwing good money (ad dollars) after bad if your not willing or have to sell it and take a bath!

Joe Gere
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered

I just dropped the price on my 2004 27 Fountain, again, listed here on OSO. I'm now $16,000 cheaper than almost any other one out there, even those on Boattraderonline, and not one phone call, other than Shogren's asking if I want to trade it on something! Market really sucks!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because everyone knows that you only advertise on OSO when you are asking to much money for your rig.

The real deals are on boatrader etc..

Most of these ads are on here because guys advertise them for the hell of advertising them and think "oh what the hell, if someone will actually give me this #, then I will sell it"

Oh and the economy sucks, so why bother advertising for something no one is buying anyway?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:33 PM

I had three boats for sale on OSO and Boat Trader, times may be bad in some areas but in the last month I sold 3 boats
Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

It does this every year, by mid Jan. it will be back up.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I watch the Classifieds for pre-owned boats regularly since I have one for sale. The total listings for pre-owned boats peaked at approximately 1100. It's now 780. The number of Nor Techs has stayed fairly constant at 50-55. The Cigs have dropped from 110 to about 90. The Hustlers have dropped in half from about 20. I listed my Slingshot last April. For some reason,the ad has had 300 hits in the last two weeks. I'm sure some folks let there ads expire during the off season. For what it's worth.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Because everyone knows that you only advertise on OSO when you are asking to much money for your rig.

The real deals are on boatrader etc..

Most of these ads are on here because guys advertise them for the hell of advertising them and think "oh what the hell, if someone will actually give me this #, then I will sell it"

Oh and the economy sucks, so why bother advertising for something no one is buying anyway?

$46,900 for a 2004 27 Fever, 143 hours, and on a trailer is NOT overpriced! The closest prices on boat trader are $59,900 and up, so I disagree, regarding my ad. I will agree, though, that a lot of them on here seem to have bumped their heads on price, but usually after a year or 2, they either give up or drop it to a reasonable number. Some of the ads are down right laughable. Fountain Factory direct had a 2004 35 twin step listed for 109,900. That boat went to Shogrens and now has a price of 129,900. Both ads are OSO. I would rather advertise on OSO because you don't have to deal with as many brokers wanting to list your boat, or people who know nothing about a performance boat. I sometimes list my boats on Boat trader, reasonably prices, and usually have had better luck on here.

Last edited by bob_t; 12-26-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I let my ad expire because there are less people looking and the market sucks. If buyers can't steal it they don't want it, at least thats what's happening in todays market.
Jay

Quick Reply: Boats 4sale in the Classifieds #s falling??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.