Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My motor is apart!!! Down to the bare block.....here's what we found: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20077-my-motor-apart-down-bare-block-heres-what-we-found.html)

Tigger 03-14-2002 01:04 AM

hey mike,

if you need an extra hand get ahold of me

Crazyhorse 03-14-2002 09:41 AM

Big electric motor, golf cart batteries, solar panels on the deck, a tape of KAAMA's engines playing through the mega-watt stereo, it don't get no better than that. So what if ya can't keep it on plane before the batteries poop out? At least you're on the open water, wind blowing through your teeth,,,,naked women on the motor hatch,,,,

jr 03-14-2002 12:18 PM

Get the shorty. My engines were held together with bubble gum and bailing wire. When I pulled them apart I found the bores scored. The pistons tore up, a cracked crank, 1971 heads, a cam lobe worn round, bearing clearances you could drive a truck through. The only thing I kept was one crank, rods, and the blocks. They cost me a fortune to rebuild and I did all the assembly and porting myself. The machining alone would have paid for a new short block. The only reason I didn't buy two is because I was running Bowtie blocks. Check into it more before you jump into your rebuild.

moallen 03-14-2002 05:24 PM

My Motors

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys here are the motors in my new boat, I think they might work, Twin 7.3 turbo 330 hp diesels running a 21x26 " surface drive. What do ya think? Allen

LS-7 03-14-2002 07:34 PM

testing

MACDAD260 03-14-2002 09:32 PM

Hey Mike,

Good thing you found out now. Still time to get it fixed before good weather. My 502 will be ready in a week or so. Can't wait to get it in the boat and try it out. :D The motor I got had broken rings also and one detonated piston, one scored and one undersize. My engine guy is doing it right. Three like new used stock bore pistons, (JE of course) new upgraded rings and bearings, honed, line honed, rotating assembly balanced, upgraded head bolts, new oil pump, new lifters, new timing chain and gears. I did a bowl port job on the heads. The valves will be reground. The used engine had very few hours, now it will be better than new. I haven't got the bill yet, though. :eek:

See ya, Doug :cool:

Waterfoul 03-15-2002 06:48 PM

Cord is right. The motor will be a TOTAL of .060" over. Heads are already done (117.5 cc). Valve job (3 angle, valves ground, etc...). Going with new 8.5:1 pistons, full ring set, etc...

As I understand it, 60 over on a 454 is not that big a problem as long as you keep the oil cool and don't over heat it. I have a large oil cooler, and have never had a problem with over heating. I bought this motor used 3 years ago and have just tinkered with it since then. Prior to my buying this motor, it sat for at LEAST 3 seasons in a boat, in a shop. The rust in #7 is from that (in our best estimate). I stored it the last two winters in a heated garage (65+ at all times) with NO water in the motor.

Bear in mind I'm not paying to have the motor assembled. Crazyhorse and I are doing that. And the machine shop I'm using is reasonable (he's a freind of mine) and pretty well respected around here. Crazy is also using his "contacts" to help me out on the parts pricing. All told, I am doing this for MUCH less than buying a short block. And I get to get my hands dirty!!!

Crazyhorse 03-15-2002 07:08 PM

Jeez, Waterfoul kinda makes it sound like I know what I'm doing. Guess I've got him fooled too.:cool: Waterfoul, I'd like to check the cylinders/pistons tomorrow, as well as the main bearing bores. If you're available let me know.

26scarab 03-18-2002 04:32 PM

WF,
I can get you a 330 454 short block for $1500 bucks. Less if you have a core for him.
If you can do yours for less than that you defititly have friends in high places !:D

Chuck

Waterfoul 03-18-2002 08:47 PM

Chuck, friends in high places??? No, just Crazyhorse, and he hasn't been high is 20 years!!! LOL!!!!

Actually they whole project is setting me back about $1200 total. And over $800 of that is machine work.

Just as it has always been, and will always be:

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

I know people!!!!!!:D