Florida and boating property >

Florida and boating property

Notices

Florida and boating property

Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Man, if both of you are right, I know where I'll be moving in two years!

We just spent two weeks in Florida. Went down the east coast, all the way to key west, then back up the west. We loved the keys, but man, it's a long way down there and not the easiest place to get in and out of. Figure in the prices for everything we saw, and it isn't possible for us to consider it. We liked the west coast more than the east, and I liked the area south of Tampa better just based on the winter weather. We're just int he earliest stages of thinking about a winter home down there, figure if the numbers worked out, we would buy a place and rent it out for a while first. If it really goes that cheap, I'd be tempted to move down there find enough work to get by till retirement time!
I think desireable waterfront will be the first to rebound. I also think we are within 10% of the bottom. Off the water homes will lag a ways behind and will drop more before turning around. Just my personal opinion. Here is a good site to get basic listing info.
http://www.waterfrontwonderland.com/

Last edited by jmackin; 01-04-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will able to retire from my job in 4 years. I will be 51 years old then. Hopefully, I will still have a bit of life left in me. I will have a pretty good New York pension. My house is payed for and worth a good amount of money. The plan is to get out of N.Y. and head either south or west to where the cost of living and housing is less expensive than here. Not to mention, the weather here sucks in the winter.
My wife and I just visited the Florida Keys. We loved it. I have been told ( By New Yorkers ) , that Jupiter Fla, is a good choice for Florida living. Boating and weather is great. Is that true? I didnt get a chance to visit Jupiter this time around. ( How about that Jupiter Sunsation ? )
For what my house here is worth, I can easily get something there and have plenty of $$ left for gas. My concern with Fla is the hurricanes. What about home owners and boat insurance, especially if you own water front property? How are the property taxes for water front homes?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Well,
Here's my sales pitch,
We have a 3 bedroom/2 full bath, 2 car garage, 1700 sq ft under air, pool home, screened/covered patio, 85' of waterfront, with a dock and 8,000 lbs 30-30' boat lift, on a Protected deep water canal, on east coast, Merritt island, for $335,000 and we are having the new tile floors installed as we speak.
Here a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Florida and boating property-img_0642.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny analogy Jupiter. BTW, Jupiter was my first pick for a town not on the water in Florida. Great town, infrastructure, loved it. North Palm Beach as well as Juno Beach.

GF is from the Melbourne/Vierra area, so we stop down there now that my dad's moved. Different, but nice areas as well can be found. I like Cocoa Beach, golf there quite a bit now. I'll be out of Vermont probably in 4-5 years, and hopefully will be in a position to get a home down there before the prices go too wild.

The East Coast rarely makes me think of boating, strange for a lifelong boater. But the West Coast access and waters definitely gave me the bug. It takes awhile to find the right place that makes you comfortable. It's all a tradeoff no matter where you go. When I was in my twenties, I hated it down there, times change. I'm bored silly in Naples, and north of there was a bit infrastructure challenged. Palm Beach County can spoil you a bit. Taxes are higher, but having miles and miles of waterfront to walk or cycle on has it's benefits.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Funny analogy Jupiter. BTW, Jupiter was my first pick for a town not on the water in Florida. Great town, infrastructure, loved it. North Palm Beach as well as Juno Beach.

GF is from the Melbourne/Vierra area, so we stop down there now that my dad's moved. Different, but nice areas as well can be found. I like Cocoa Beach, golf there quite a bit now. I'll be out of Vermont probably in 4-5 years, and hopefully will be in a position to get a home down there before the prices go too wild.

The East Coast rarely makes me think of boating, strange for a lifelong boater. But the West Coast access and waters definitely gave me the bug. It takes awhile to find the right place that makes you comfortable. It's all a tradeoff no matter where you go. When I was in my twenties, I hated it down there, times change. I'm bored silly in Naples, and north of there was a bit infrastructure challenged. Palm Beach County can spoil you a bit. Taxes are higher, but having miles and miles of waterfront to walk or cycle on has it's benefits.
Jupiter is on the water, here is the Jupiter Inlet: ( http://www.evsjupiter.com/main.htm ). Maybe you meant for you it was a good town on the water but you were going to buy inland. Palm Beach County has its +/- as in 107 people got murdered here in 08 compared to NH where 22 people got murdered in the WHOLE STATE! Palm Beach County is the biggest county in the state, has Palm Beach/Boca Raton/Jupiter as expensive areas as well as pricey small beach towns like Juno/Manalapan etc. WPB can be a very rough area and it is 15 minutes from almost anywhere in the county.
I have lived in Boca/Jupiter for the past 25 years which are nice areas but it has numbed me a bit to the actual crime in the surrounding areas. Orlando/Palm Beach county had over 225 murders last year yet a whole state like New Hampshire only had 22?

I only wonder having 2 small kids if it would be better to raise them in a Vermont type setting rather than here........
Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I will able to retire from my job in 4 years. I will be 51 years old then. Hopefully, I will still have a bit of life left in me. I will have a pretty good New York pension. My house is payed for and worth a good amount of money. The plan is to get out of N.Y. and head either south or west to where the cost of living and housing is less expensive than here. Not to mention, the weather here sucks in the winter.
My wife and I just visited the Florida Keys. We loved it. I have been told ( By New Yorkers ) , that Jupiter Fla, is a good choice for Florida living. Boating and weather is great. Is that true? I didnt get a chance to visit Jupiter this time around. ( How about that Jupiter Sunsation ? )
For what my house here is worth, I can easily get something there and have plenty of $$ left for gas. My concern with Fla is the hurricanes. What about home owners and boat insurance, especially if you own water front property? How are the property taxes for water front homes?
Taxes are roughly 2% of value so if you buy a 500K house expect a 10K a year tax bill. Insurance with a 5% deduct. is going to be 3K a year east of 95 but west of ocean atleast 1/2 mile (US 1). Boca Raton was a NY/NJ haven for retirees, Jupiter is more New Englanders (Mazzholes)! No where in Palm Beach county is going to be "cheaper" living. Jupiter has Jupiter Island which ironically is in the next county where Tiger is building his new lair (12 acres- ocean to ICW- 38mm and he tore down all the existing homes (5 total). Greg Norman has his house for sale for 45mm down from 65mm last year.

The biggest shock for most is in retirement you will need about 75% of what you lived on while working. If you made 100K a year, to live the same you will need 75K a year now in retirement. Yes in FL you won't have a monster heating bill, snow plow bill etc but will have year round pool/lawn service/pest control. A lot of people complain about the high cost of car/boat/property insurance compared to "up north" since they can compare the same vehicle/boat/house in both
places. Also they mention the cost of food as being higher for the same items, again can compare identical things in two locations.

Remember when you are working it takes 50 hours a week out of your schedule (10 hours travel/prep time- 40 hours work) so you CAN'T SPEND MONEY BUT RATHER MAKE MONEY! When retired you will spend money during that extra 50 hours of free time with no income generated. Guys with no hobbies can sometimes be better off in FL than guys with hobbies. Remember you can fish/golf/whatever 365 days a year- no layup time.

Good luck, save your money...........
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The offset to high property taxes is no state income tax.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a word of caution for any Floridians to be.
I lived in the Chicago subs for 23+ years. In Florida for 14+ years. While boating is infact great in FLa. don't be fooled by the cost of living.
If you put all the data together, (car, boat, house ins. misc. governmental or municipal BS costs. etc.) it IS NOT CHEAPER.
Better for boating. Great place to visit or retire, not the best place to live and make a living.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI. Property taxes are based on which COUNTY you live in, and some are much higher than others.
Collier County for example (Naples & Marco Island), are roughly 1.1%
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Hmm. Wondered when you'd chime in Hans.

Always good to hear from the OLD Coast.

Quick Reply: Florida and boating property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.