Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Florida and boating property (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/200865-florida-boating-property.html)

tbanzer 01-01-2009 01:50 PM

Florida and boating property

My wife and I have been talking about buying a winter home in Florida. In the future we would like to spend 6 months down there and the other 6 months up here in Western New York. We dont necessarilly need to have a dock and live on the water but would like to be within 15 to 30 minutes of the water for launching. Trying to decide what areas to start seaching. Looking for ideas and pros and cons from areas on the East and West coasts. As of now niether of us has the time available to be down there for more than a month or so and would possibly like to have it rented untill our time is freeded up.

Pantera24 01-01-2009 02:28 PM

The Florida Keys...nothing else compares. Very relaxed and laid back, best water.
Our family has a place in Tavernier and unfortunately we don't spend as much time as we'd like to but when we do, it is awesome!!
Even if your not on the water your still only a few blocks from it always.

Jupiter Sunsation 01-01-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2768751)
My wife and I have been talking about buying a winter home in Florida. In the future we would like to spend 6 months down there and the other 6 months up here in Western New York. We dont necessarilly need to have a dock and live on the water but would like to be within 15 to 30 minutes of the water for launching. Trying to decide what areas to start seaching. Looking for ideas and pros and cons from areas on the East and West coasts. As of now niether of us has the time available to be down there for more than a month or so and would possibly like to have it rented untill our time is freeded up.

You probably need to post your budget and that will probably determine your east vs. west coast argument. Don't expect your renter to pay for the whole Florida real estate experience. That equation has not worked in years due to the high carrying costs (taxes, insurance).

Cashbar is an east coast waterfront guy.

Cash Bar 01-01-2009 03:23 PM

Thanks JS.

I'd be happy to help, even if only for advice.

I do specialize in SE Fla waterfront. I can certainly put you in the near vicinity. Prices vary greatly(as do amenities) by city and Atlantic proximity.

If you give me a few ideas on your needs I can at least get you some examples.

Send me an email at

gcoffshore at aol.com

or call anytime

Greg Harris
954-732-9020

Full list of member referrals available. :)

tbanzer 01-01-2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2768789)
You probably need to post your budget and that will probably determine your east vs. west coast argument. Don't expect your renter to pay for the whole Florida real estate experience. That equation has not worked in years due to the high carrying costs (taxes, insurance).

Cashbar is an east coast waterfront guy.

Looking to spend around 200k. I realize that 200k isnt the type of number needed to be on the water but I would expect to be able to find something within trailering distance. Im just starting my search trying to find areas to focus on. I am going down there in my motorhome in mid February for the Miami boatshow and I would like to set up some viewings at that time.

tbanzer 01-01-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2768792)
Thanks JS.

I'd be happy to help, even if only for advice.

I do specialize in SE Fla waterfront. I can certainly put you in the near vicinity. Prices vary greatly(as do amenities) by city and Atlantic proximity.

If you give me a few ideas on your needs I can at least get you some examples.

Send me an email at

gcoffshore at aol.com

or call anytime

Greg Harris
954-732-9020

Full list of member referrals available. :)

Thanks for the reply I will give you a call in a few days, Regards Tom Banzer

Jupiter Sunsation 01-01-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2768913)
Looking to spend around 200k. I realize that 200k isnt the type of number needed to be on the water but I would expect to be able to find something within trailering distance. Im just starting my search trying to find areas to focus on. I am going down there in my motorhome in mid February for the Miami boatshow and I would like to set up some viewings at that time.

Now 200K can get you an older 2/2 condo on the water with a community dock for a 20-25 foot boat. It can easily get you a house within 15 minutes to a ramp.

Greg can find you something in that range.....

Cash Bar 01-01-2009 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2768930)
Now 200K can get you an older 2/2 condo on the water with a community dock for a 20-25 foot boat. It can easily get you a house within 15 minutes to a ramp.

Greg can find you something in that range.....

What he said :ernaehrung004:

I look forward to speaking with you Tom.

jmackin 01-02-2009 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2768913)

FYI, $200k will get you a 3/2 sailboat access pool home w/boat lift in cape coral.

tbanzer 01-02-2009 10:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. Any reasons to look at one coast versus the other?