Notices

trailer brakes

Old 03-14-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer brakes

Iam a proficient mechanic but have never dealed with trailer brakes. I am wanting to go thru system and ensure that it is up to par. Is there one anything in particular that I should be looking for. Is there any better way to accomplish this task? Should I up grade pads. What about bleeding is there a certain way other than furthest from the master cyl. ? need a little enlightning, any suggestions are appreciated. Its a tandem Eagle trailer w/ drums and surge brakes. When I bought the boat this past winter the master cyl was empty of fluid. Since filled and no leak detected yet......but Im looking
Rocket
Old 03-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the most likely place the fluid was lost was at the wheel cylinders.because they get submerged often and DOT3 brake fluid is hygroscopic(it absorbs water)the cylinder bore rusts and the fluid seeps past the seal cups.about the best way to service them is replace the backing plate assemblies as complete units,plates,shoes,cylinders and hardware.
It costs about 90 bucks per wheel here in canadian funds so probably about 50 for you guys.if you have access to a pressure or vacum bleeder system,all the better because it is hard to bleed out that master cylinder on a surge coupler.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are most of these trailer parts generic or would I have to go thru Eagle?
Rocket