Notices

B&M 174 & 454Mag

Old 03-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question B&M 174 & 454Mag

Hey Guys and Gals, I'm looking into putting a B&M 174 on my carbed 454Mag-350hp version. I will be having the work professionally done. I'm interested in hearing pros and cons along with some actual speed increases. I've been told I should be somewhere around 500-525hp with 8-10mph gain. I know I could probably get more with a B&M 250 but not sure if it will fit and I also would like to keep things as basic as possible. I am especially interested in hearing about the problems I might have. Thanks for any and all input.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Contact Jim Nichols at American Hot Boat Association message board. He has done exactly what you are doing. Same engine, same blower.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Registered

a couple years ago I had the 174 on a base (stock) 330hp Motor with inconel valves. The motor made (dyno) around 470hp with 5-6lbs of boost. So figure you will gain about 130-150hp. The only problem i ever had was i could only get 89 octane fuel one night, and i ran in boost (about 3lbs) for a while just trying to get home. Right before i got to the marina i heard a mis-fire. I ended up Melting the tip of the #1 cylnder plug....no damage to the motor though.

Since i have built the motor with all good components and still run the same blower...made another 100hp on the dyno with the same boost. never GPS's it with the old motor, but now runs 79. I really haven't had any problems with this setup. It's turn key...no noticible surge or idle problems (i put a V-6 module in).

I would make sure you get a boost gague and a fuel press gague, run good fuel, and change your oil more frequently, and your good to go.

email me if you have any questions.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

Default A pic

Attached Thumbnails B&M 174 & 454Mag-motor450.jpg  
Old 03-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I have that setup ,454 mag with the 174. I'd run 92 like he said - all the time. You want to change your ignition, I use a Tbolt IV with the V-6 module or one that gives you around 28 degrees total adavance. Yeah, it's conservative, but too much timing gives you detonation, too little and your idle sucks and is jut as bad I hear. MSD will help too, because your mixture might be a tad rich for long no-wakes. MSD really does not give you any HP gains, forget all the propaganda there, but it is a good investment for smmothness overall. You need to bump up to a Holley carb with at least 800CFM and adapt the jets to boot I think 5-10% on the primaries, 10-20% on the secondaries. I have a Nickerson modified Holley, you should give them a call. You will also want to dump the stock fuel pump - one lean-out and it's all over. I have a Mallory 140 with a 8lb regulator. Holley makes them too. You also need better cooling so dump the recirculating pump and put on a SS crossover, I use stainless marine and it works great with 1/8" holes drilled in the thermostat. Lastly, I'd really recommned a better exhaust, I use Gil Magunum with a silent choice. Go for the CMIs!

My 97 was bone stock and it dyno's at 525hp. I run at 4lbs according to my boost gauge (get one of those too as well as an oil temp gauge and fuel pressure gauge). I have a 94 Shooter and I see 74mph 1/2 tank cool weather. But idiot me mounted my K-planes too low so I'm hoping for a tad better when I mount them higher this spring. I have to tell you this setup is solid. I did the NY Poker run last year with the motor and was full-throttle the entire run - no bull****, not a single problem.

BTW - I'm running a 26 labbed Bravo and a IMCO drive shower (love lots of stainless) to be safe. I'd also think of at least a single-ram steering.

I got a lot of the parts I spoke of right here on OSO, used, from the board. No need to have is cost a fortune! If you want a copy of the installation manual, just ask and I'll scan and email it to you. I'm going to try the next pulley up to see of I can get 5lbs of boost this year.

IMO - I'd go with a 250 or larger blower if you can. You can get more boost with less heat. But, like I said, my boat is rock solid reliable and no-wake all day long.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails B&M 174 & 454Mag-engine2_sm.jpg  
Old 03-14-2002, 10:05 PM
toonatime

Reliable set up..4600# 26 Baja 61 to 73mph..19 to 24Bravo at 5200..could purchase satin finish and paint black..black headers..suggest stainless mesh lines with red/blue connections for looks..K&N arrestor. B&M pamphlets explained it all very well.

Old 03-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies and the pics guys, they were very informative. You helped put my mind at ease. Toonatime, have you tried a 26 Bravo? It looks like you might be able to get alittle more out of it.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy 174 blowers

After having several of these blowers through my shop for rebuilds,i can truely say that they are a pretty cheesy example of what a supercharger is supposed to be.the rotors and shafts on every one were not straight or balanced,the shaft seals are junk,the drive and driven gear sets are pretty poor quality.if the cases were any thinner,you could see through them.Mercury had 174's made for them for the 525sc with a 4500 holley mount and mercury moulded onto the side of the case.They are about the same quality as the 174 street blower and 3 times the price.Your best bet would be to contact Dustin @whipple.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:00 PM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

By your name I figure you are going to put this in a Baja hammer If so I put a procharger in one and had to mod. the rear seat to get the pulley in there just something to consider.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I too am considering this upgrade. I have a 1998 260 Powerquest with a 454 mag Carb 350 HP. I like the Whipple and have not heard anything bad about it. I got some info from them. But the 5200 price is well,a little high. I'm not saying it's not worth it, I know that counts an innercooler. Now you look at a B&M 174 for 2 grand and you can see why I would consider it. The Whipple is probably good for 10-15 mph the B&M is good for 8-12. That's a big difference in bucks. Put an innercooler on the B&M for another 1200 and you'll be real close in speed and still be 2 grand ahead. If, you have the space. I know the Whipple is a smaller package. Anyway, that's what I've been tossing around for now. The way I research things I'll probably wait till next season to do this. It will take at least that long to convince the little women to go for it!

Quick Reply: B&M 174 & 454Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.