Notices

Whipple blower snout fix

Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
this is the end that usually breaks, the only thing holding this from spinning is the little bit of surface area around the bolt. once it spins it loosens the bolt just a little bit and causes the pulley to woble then it breaks off. as you can see ours is one piece.
Great work. To be clear, our pulley hub is a friction drive, so it has 2 flat surfaces pulled together via the 12mm stud/nut in the front. It's torqued to 125ft/lbs. We've installed dow pins on all high HP applications now. The 12mm SHCS was torqued to 90 ft/lbs.

You really need to have the shafts coated, I assume your using chromoly steel thats been normalizied. If so, you still need to heat treat them, then put a surface hardening coating on them. Because it's steel, it will corrode extremely fast and the 6mm bolts will not be able to hold that load. So you can make new pulleys, and go to 8mm, which I think would be beneficial if you don't harden and coat the shaft. But we also found that the typical seal will not live as well on chromoly unless you can find a PTFE type seal. Another reason for the surface treatment.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
we have broke alot of quad rotor whipple blower snouts which caused us to not be able to finnish poker runs, so we decided to design our own. we made them out of better steel, bigger shaft, the end that usually breaks is the pulley side that is bolted on, we made that all one piece so it can never break, then on the other end the stock one is just pressed on with no splines and just a little bit of texture to keep it from spinning, but we have had those spin off the shaft too, so we splined that end so it could never break loose. we also have had the bearings sieze up, so we are using higher rated bearings. here are some pics of ours and the stock one.
Looking a bit deeper into this, your should've made this like the 671 drive, with a female spline coupler mounted on the gear (remove 3 dow pins and drill/tap gears), then make shaft the male spline. With the weight added to the shaft, you are going to simply shear the dows right out of that adapter. Fixing one thing just applies the load to the next. You got the spline already, just make a female coupler so you don't have the plastic coupler or 6m dow pins. Otherwise, you should really increase the diameter of the dow pins.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
skater brother
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Ptufaro;2777602]Hot Pursuit you may have not broken a blower but I bet you have broken just about every other part on the boat.

ouch
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Registered

wondering with all these great sugestions, and the awareness of whipple "knowing" these items, why they were not done previous .....just a thought.

And I have still seen the quads have problems, even late models as of a few months old for what its worth
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shoregasm
wondering with all these great sugestions, and the awareness of whipple "knowing" these items, why they were not done previous .....just a thought.

And I have still seen the quads have problems, even late models as of a few months old for what its worth
I was think'n the same thing!

Great Job BYC
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTTIMES
I was think'n the same thing!

Great Job BYC
thanks, we just had alot of these break and cost us a pokerrun, so we were going to have some made for ourselves, but decided to have a few more made incase anyone else needs any.

I do know that our part will not fail, yes i'm sure that will make it find the next weak link, but maybe we only needed alittle more. they did work some of the time, and I dont like the small bolts for the pulleys or the dowel pins but I wanted to make this an easy bolt on upgrade.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbam22
I wasn't talking to you!! Cheerleader 1

Last edited by HotPursuit; 01-14-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
Hot Pursuit you may have not broken a blower but I bet you have broken just about every other part on the boat.

Just messin with ya
A-men , yup didn't think a #6 gimbal was breakable
Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

[QUOTE=RunninHotRacing158;2777621][QUOTE=HotPursuit;2777461]Wow I was assured whipples NEVER break!!
10 yrs running 1471s with one rebuild and never a failure.
Something to be said about old school. Nice upgrade

Wow I was assured whipples NEVER break
OH PHUCH poor Dusty

He nows Im yanking his chain and he has the nads to reply. Its all good
O btw Dustin I had nothing to do with starting this thread!!

]

Last edited by HotPursuit; 01-14-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
A-men , yup didn't think a #6 gimbal was breakable
Yeah right!!!!!!! Expensive bastards....

Quick Reply: Whipple blower snout fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.