Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just when you mention it joe
do i really need a 17 dia on a 27ft vhull single diesel with surface drive
Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion for what it's worth is use your own powers of deduction from what I tell you.

If you had 1 350 hp outboard engine on the same boat, what dia prop would you use? Also that prop would be a thru-hub style prop that doesn't have full blades like an Arenson prop would so it's small in area. How many rpm's of prop speed would that outboard have?

You answer those and you tell me why you need a BIG 17" dia prop on your boat?

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

hi rpm small blade low rpm big blade
you woulden know anyone who has a 17 23/24 4 blade lying around i have ordered a new hering but wont have untill late may early june
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Unless you were in the inner circles of Cummins Marine back in the late 80's you would not even know this existed!!!

Yep, 400 hp Cummins B's made by me through Cummins in the 80's. This is how my whole involvement with Kitami, Buzzi & Bonomi started. I've said in the past we had a product that could be the smaller Seatek and give Seatek a fuller range of product.

Kitami and I made a deal for AMT which is how I got equity in Super Hero and ran the racing/diesel divisons. After that deal became know Cummins had a sh*t fit and were tolerant of it for about a year and then that is how I was the only person in the modern history of Cummins Engine Co to ever be out on a black list.

Meaning every distributor in the US recieved a personal letter form the Chairman do not sell Joe Gere engines and to please advise him personally if anyone starts buying large qty's of Cummins Marine engines who had not been a piror customer. Needless to say they were ways around that too!!!

The Maelstrom pic is her with a 400hp B in the transom, notice how low it sat. A couple hundred pounds more than a 7.3L makes a difference, that was 1990. This is when, like I point out to Jassman we found out it truely is not prop but prop speed. I could turn an 18x33 4 blade with that boat and not go more than 80???? Change gears, trun a 15.5 x 24 fast and I went 90's. I took what buzzi taught me from the race boats and applied it American style and good damm it works even with an outdrive. It wasn't the Tri-Max drives that made his boats fast, it was prop speed.

Joe Gere

More later!!!
What pump & settings were ya using? Also did ya shim up the injectors a little?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

29Firefox,

Nipendenso's, I have to try and find what they flowed at, may have that somewhere???

Injectors - no shims, here is what we found with shims, the higher the pressure you cut the time (chronogical) that the injector has to deliver fuel. By doing that you retard the timing a little as well so if you advance the timing to compensate they you end injection too early.

The higher pressures put load on the pump cam as well. The inline pumps didn't bother them much but the rotatry would push the head to side and score the barrel. Those couldn't run anything above stock and we lower some injectors to make less head pressure on the Standadyne's

I understand fully the thought behind higher pressure better atomization but every impedance will cut flow and you deleiver less fuel reagrdlesss of pump settings. The stock injectors worked well and never burned one up?

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

40 Hustler and a 50 with yanmars
Attached Thumbnails lets see the diesel boats-40eng1.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-40ps4.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-50nps3.jpg  

Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
29Firefox,

Nipendenso's, I have to try and find what they flowed at, may have that somewhere???

Injectors - no shims, here is what we found with shims, the higher the pressure you cut the time (chronogical) that the injector has to deliver fuel. By doing that you retard the timing a little as well so if you advance the timing to compensate they you end injection too early.

The higher pressures put load on the pump cam as well. The inline pumps didn't bother them much but the rotatry would push the head to side and score the barrel. Those couldn't run anything above stock and we lower some injectors to make less head pressure on the Standadyne's

I understand fully the thought behind higher pressure better atomization but every impedance will cut flow and you deleiver less fuel reagrdlesss of pump settings. The stock injectors worked well and never burned one up?

Joe
Your right on the money if you're just shimming. But....... with a mechanical injector we used to mess with with higher flow nozzles so we could get the right amount of fuel in the shorter flow time. That way you can get the fuel all in at the best burn timing. But now days the ECM does the whole deal. However higher flow nozzles still work better for high output engines. The ECM will adjust so the injectors get beat up less.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is another Yanmar powered Nor Tech. Adib Mastry's beautiful 39 Vee. 85 MPH with 2 X 480 hp.
Attached Thumbnails lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_124243.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_105839.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_105852.jpg  

Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Few more pics from 2008 Miami Boat Show .
Attached Thumbnails lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_130820.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_124815.jpg   lets see the diesel boats-2008_0215_105827.jpg  

Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

that is somethin else
really really nice

Quick Reply: lets see the diesel boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.