Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Reggie Fountain left handed??? >

Is Reggie Fountain left handed???

Notices

Is Reggie Fountain left handed???

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Reggie Fountain left handed???

So why are the throttles on the left side of the dash? Seems it would be awkward for me after having my Donzi.........just a Friday ?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Registered

Default Nope

Reggie isn't left-handed. He has always said that he put the throttles to the left so that two people could run the boat in rough conditions. I'm with you. I'd rather throttle right-handed.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Registered

4 years ago I would have agreed with you, but after having my fountain for 4 years I dont think I could go back to having the throttles on the right.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

The story I picked up is that Reggies theory is that most people are right hand dominate. Having ones dominant hand in control of the steering is safer, and allows for better boat control, makes sense. In my own case I would be more inclined to the more traditional set up, basically due to so many years of having stick shift cars in my younger days where the leftie is the steering hand. On my second Fountain now and will say that you do adapt after some time behind the wheel. Were I to ever buy / build a brand new Fountain I do think I would look into the possibility of having at least the throttles on the right side. I do really like having the gear shift on the left side when docking.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-16-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think, if you recall the old Fountains had the driver and passenger seats/bolster side by side and the cabin doors are on the left side not centered. The old Scarabs had a similar arrangement. By having the throttles on the left the passenger could now in effect be a throttleman with his right hand just like the race boats - just my opinion.

Joe Gere
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I think, if you recall the old Fountains had the driver and passenger seats/bolster side by side and the cabin doors are on the left side not centered. The old Scarabs had a similar arrangement. By having the throttles on the left the passenger could now in effect be a throttleman with his right hand just like the race boats - just my opinion.

Joe Gere
That's also what I understood, The ability to have a driver/ throttle man setup with no additional mods.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

Joe Gere
Also what I have always heard.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I dont like having the throttle and shift levers so close to people moving in the cockpit of the boat. I dont like squeezing past them to get into the drivers possition either. Move them to the right, or build the boats cockpit around left sided sticks.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts
Wink

Maybe he once was a co-pilot
or
drove British cars

ed
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Habana Joe and Ragged Edge are both correct. This comes from the Reg. I heard many people ask him this same question. I preferr the throttles on the right, and the shifters on the left. Makes it easy to dock when the shift levers are by themself.
When I bought my Fountain, the throttles were on the left. What I noticed, was that while cruising through snotty waters, trying to hold a steady rpm, my left arm was suspended in air with nothing to rest my elbow or any part of my arm on. In rough seas, this made my left arm move back and forth enough to raise and lower the rpm that I was trying to hold steady. It was very uncomfortable to take any kind of a long trip while trying to cruise at 70-80. At WOT, it really did'nt matter. After 2 years of fighting the throttles, I redid the interior and changed the throttles to the right side. Best change I ever made in my opinion anyway. Now it's a pleasure to drive with a cushioned pad under my right forearm.
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Quick Reply: Is Reggie Fountain left handed???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.