Question to Ohio boaters??? >

Question to Ohio boaters???

Notices

Question to Ohio boaters???

Old 03-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Question to Ohio boaters???

What's going on, I was talking to a couple a couple a guys that tried to get into Put-in-bay a couple of weeks ago, they said they were turned around and told they had to check in at Port Clinton or Sandusky before they could dock there boat. Tell me that it was just because they didn't want to deal with a couple of Canadian nuts on a small tug boat in the middle of February. There are rumours now that the I-68 program is also not available. Does anyone know what is actually going on?? Damn those sandflys!
Old 03-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, the I68 program is under review right now and there will be none issued for now. They (US government) don't even know if the program will continue. I hope to hell they get something figured out. I can't go all summer with out PIB!
Old 03-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

There's going to be a Power Squadron meeting next Tuesday and a border patrol officer / customs agent will be the guest. If you want me to ask specific questions, I will. Otherwise, I'll let you know the gist of the presentation.

Christine
Old 03-15-2002, 10:18 AM
BuzzinBye!

I am from Toledo and go to the Bay more weekends thatn not, but I am not up on the rules for Canadiens. I could understand the the folks on the Bay worried about to guys on a TUGBOAT in the middle of feb. I think i saw those guys last year at the bay. The people who live on the Bay get a little touchy in the off season becuse it is there only quiet time they get all year

Dan

Old 03-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Dan,
how is everything? just thought I'd say Hi

Sorry guys I am a Ohio boater and have nothing to add other than what Dan said. I would think as summer boating starts that they will have no problem taking your money
Old 03-15-2002, 10:38 AM
BuzzinBye!

Hey Scott,

Everything's cool I got a little slow day today and decided to do a little surfing

Dan

Old 03-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

How does it work with you americans going from island to island,?? I was told by american customs once at the ambassador bridge that even you guys had to have I-68's which seemed crazy. Is that true? They're usually on some power trip every time I walk in there, Totally hard time with the simplest of questions, and I'm american!!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 11:45 AM
BuzzinBye!

What the hell is an I68?> It is easy to goto different islands. Get in, turn the keys, untie the lines, head to next island, dock, retie lines, get off boat. simple

We don' have any regulations on inter-island hopping, unless goin to a canadien island.

Dan

Old 03-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Last year (prior to 9/11), we went to Lily Kazilly's for dinner a couple of times. We are residents of Michigan driving a boat with an MC number. When we approached Lily's, the dockhand helped us tie up and told us where THE phone was to call in. We didn't ask, she told us. We called in, gave the needed information, and that was it. Coming back, we didn't call, but I talked to a CG officer (after 9/11) and he said people usually don't.

On a trip to Crystal Bay, we were stopped by the OPP (very friendly), and they said we had to call in from a land line. We said good-bye and left.

Things will probably be different this summer because of 9/11, and because the route to PIB takes a lot of people past the Fermi cooling towers and Detroit Edison. Security will be tight but I can't imagine PIB will shut down to Canadians. I think seeing 2 guys in a tugboat in the middle of Feb. made them nervous.

Christine
Old 03-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to some information on what an I-68 Form is and it tells a little about it. I know people who have in the past crossed over Lake Erie to Canada and register in that country but fail to call upon return to the U.S. . This could cause you all kinds of problems if Imigrations and Customs wanted to be pricks. I look for it to become more stricked because of the terrorist problems.
Cordell

http://www.cruising.ca/docs/USAE.html#I-68