Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/202134-first-boat-question-bullet-vs-pantera-28-a.html)

AIR TIME 01-27-2009 04:41 PM

what about the sutphin 30 and 31 thats a real monster crusher I have been on a few old and new the 31 with 420s would do 74 and 500s around 85. they have a nice cabin room in the cockpit and fast will cut throught rough water nice with the 26 degree hull. can't wait to see the new 27 footer. theres a 26 with twins in the classifieds.

Indy 01-27-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jafo (Post 2787037)
and the lack of freeboard on the Pantera didn't excite the wife.

Nor me, that knocked it out of the running when I looked at 28s.

rlj676 01-27-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think everything I'm hearing is confirming what I thought.

However, it looks like insurance may just kill my Cig desires, as I haven't gotten any reasonable quotes for a Bullet yet (even with under 1000 HP total) as they are all older. Anything over 20 years appears impossible, and over 15 expensive.:mad:

So that pushes me towards some of the other choices. There are a ton of boats that I'd be intersted in if I found the right one at the right price, but they'd have to be newer. The only boats I'm interested that are old are Bullets, and they're being eliminated by insurance for me.

I also like Formula 292's and have seen some great deals on ones with the 6.2's. If they had something that pushed them over 70 and were a great deal that'd be something I'd be more serious about.

I guess my priorities are
-Solid boat/Turnkey
-Room/comfort as I don't want to leave people behind if I don't have to.
-Speed over 70 but under 80 (for insurance)
-Handle rough stuff

So, it sounds like the AT 28 (or 32 if a deal) would be towards the top of the list. However, the choices are slim for these so I'll just keep looking for ther right deal, as I don't plan on buying until it gets at least close to warm here in Detroit.:eek:

Cgarret, no, I never worked at KCK. I actually moved to Detroit to start with Ford a few years ago.

bert4332 01-27-2009 07:51 PM

Powerquest 300 Revenge if you can find one. One just sold on Ebay for 50k. It's an AWESOME boat that covers everything on your list. Just make sure it has BB and not the 6.2s.

KN 01-27-2009 07:54 PM

Which has more freeboard a 28' Panterar or 28' Powerplay? Is the build quality and the rigging, similar quality as well?

Thanks

spilman 01-27-2009 10:11 PM

rlj676,
I have a 99 AT28 w/twin 350magMPI's-B1's,400hrs....MANY options. In fact, some of the most custom features make it a very rare boat. e-mail me @ [email protected] & I'll send u pics. I am struggling financially(homebuilder&GC-NO WORKY!) If we can agree on pricing, you might be a VERY lucky guy!

Griff 01-28-2009 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by KN (Post 2787458)
Which has more freeboard a 28' Panterar or 28' Powerplay? Is the build quality and the rigging, similar quality as well?

Thanks

Never actually been in a PP, but looking at pics the freeboard is very close. PP rigging is also known to be very good.

Magic Medicine 01-28-2009 01:40 PM

I have been down this street a few times owend 2 28' singles and finally bought a 32' Sunsation. I really like this boat, was considering all the boats mentioned above, time was never right on the ones I found. I ended up staying away from Cig because on insurance and I thought an older boat might nickle and dime me to death, maybe maybe not. Feel free to PM me your number if you would like more info on the 32' Sunny or anything else, I am on my 4th boat in 6 years.

Magic Medicine 01-28-2009 01:46 PM

O and few more things I had a ZT280 and Nordic Heat 28'. The 28AT and the 28 Sunny are hands down a better rough water boat, been in both boats! Sydwayz is a good source for info on the AT's. Call the Sunny factory and talk to Chris tell him I sent ya, there customer service is second to none! I am sure they could set you up with a ride!

nova26 01-28-2009 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2786737)
I don't see any boats talked about in this thread that aren't high quality boats.

Go water test them and go from there.

My 28 Pantera was a great boat. The only thing I wished was that it had more freeboard. It is still a 28 footer and will only be so comfortable in sloppy water. My 32 AT rides a LOT better in the LOTO rough water and th AT has as much freeboard as a 38 TG.

Either boat will handle any rough water you throw at it.

Never ridden in a 28AT, but I expect the ride would be comparable to the Pantera. The 28 AT will have a lot more freeboard.

What's freeboard?:confused: