Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28 >

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Notices

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Suprised no one has mentioned the 28 apache. Bigger engine bay than the AT, about the same freeboard. Same size cabin, only the AT has an eclosed head, so the apache is much more roomier.

My short list when shopping was 28 pantera, saber, apache. Found a deal on an apache and never looked back. Most are old and outdated or in need of repair, but if you could find a newer model it would be an easy decision. I liked the bullet, just too big and heavy. By the time I bought a bigger truck and kept up with the maintenance I might as well of boughten a 35 cafe or 38 top gun.

Take it for what its worth, every member here is going to think his boat is the best..........naturally, or they wouldn't have bought it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Suprised no one has mentioned the 28 apache. Bigger engine bay than the AT, about the same freeboard. Same size cabin, only the AT has an eclosed head, so the apache is much more roomier.

My short list when shopping was 28 pantera, saber, apache. Found a deal on an apache and never looked back. Most are old and outdated or in need of repair, but if you could find a newer model it would be an easy decision. I liked the bullet, just too big and heavy. By the time I bought a bigger truck and kept up with the maintenance I might as well of boughten a 35 cafe or 38 top gun.

Take it for what its worth, every member here is going to think his boat is the best..........naturally, or they wouldn't have bought it.

You're right, it is funny how when you ask about a few specific boats, eveyone chimes in with their brand. J/K, as it does help surface some things you may not have looked at. However, I've been looking/narrowing it down for over 3 years (it is no coincidence all the ones I'm looking at get "approval").

If I found a newer Apache I'd be interested maybe, but for the most part they are too old to insure/finance easily, same problem as the Bullet. I think I'm going to stick to 15 years old or newer if possible. Really the only thing older I'm interested in is a Cig.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
rjl676 -

Got the perfect boat for ya and its local too (see avatar). shoot me an email with your # and we can chat. The boat is in storage in harrison twp. I didn't expect to sell but I just moved up to a new boat and will be looking to move this spring (or sooner). I'd like to finish it as it has been a long project for me and when you get this far you want to see it thru. If you are interested I can finish to your request as well - rear seat config, colors, graphics (painted all white in '06 and in storage since). heck I'll even build a mild motor if you prefer. All the best - 489 tall deck with worked brodix heads, t&d rockers, etc, IMCO extension box, marine machine steering, Lonseal flooring, highback bolsters, full Livorsi Monster guages, aluminum tri-axle, etc, etc.

[email protected]

NEIL
I don't actually know much about Phantom. Are they typically more "race boat" style? Does it have a usable cabin, or is it a sit down boat?

It would be cool to have some control of the finish and paint, but I need some space for a crowd bigger than 5 sometimes.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
I think it all depends on what you are looking most for... If Turnkey is your #1 priority any type is fine as long as it has been taken care of properly. If you are looking for speed then there are brands made specifically for that. Some are better in the rough then others as well.

I think it is best to think about where you are going to be using it, who you will be using it with the majority of the time i.e. family, children etc. and if you plan on staying on board overnight etc.

There is a boat out there for everyone and for their purposes but I think you are asking the right people.. OSO is a great place to ask questions and find out from the people who actually use them, not just the sales people pushing them.

Good luck!

Thanks.

As I alluded to earlier, I'm looking for turnkey and decent room for multiple people, and speeds of 70-79.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

This looked nice. http://www.teamshogren.com/pre-owned...-velocity.html
Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
I don't actually know much about Phantom. Are they typically more "race boat" style? Does it have a usable cabin, or is it a sit down boat?

It would be cool to have some control of the finish and paint, but I need some space for a crowd bigger than 5 sometimes.
Actually Will Smith is one of the best out there. Yes all of his current models are the sit-down, minimal cabin, built for speed "speedster" varieties. But back in the mid-late '90s Will was building a pleasure version (although some were raced) 29 footer. Think classic 27' magum streched a couple feet and classic flat deck but with his fairing. Personally I love the lines of the boat and get a TON of compliments but as you see here everyone has their own favorite.

I was actually looking for a 28 Apache when I stumbled onto this one. Once i saw it and found out how few were made I had to have it. Why put time and effort just to have the same as someone else is what I figured.

I was thinking of running this boat in class 5 so I hadn't bothered with the back seat. I am planning on having it built before spring and will likely mimic the Pantera seat. Seating for 3 across the back is not a problem, 4 likely. Same for the hatch - it is lightweight aluminum that I plan to either install a scoop or have covered flat. The cabin is typical of a 29' vee. Two facing couches and good size v-berth upfront. Plenty comfortable for the moot.

The power may be a bit much but we could work out a lower hp motor if you are interested. I have nice parts to finish another motor build.

No pressure as I really haven't even listed it yet but seemed like a perfect match for ya.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Actually Will Smith is one of the best out there. Yes all of his current models are the sit-down, minimal cabin, built for speed "speedster" varieties. But back in the mid-late '90s Will was building a pleasure version (although some were raced) 29 footer. Think classic 27' magum streched a couple feet and classic flat deck but with his fairing. Personally I love the lines of the boat and get a TON of compliments but as you see here everyone has their own favorite.

I was actually looking for a 28 Apache when I stumbled onto this one. Once i saw it and found out how few were made I had to have it. Why put time and effort just to have the same as someone else is what I figured.

I was thinking of running this boat in class 5 so I hadn't bothered with the back seat. I am planning on having it built before spring and will likely mimic the Pantera seat. Seating for 3 across the back is not a problem, 4 likely. Same for the hatch - it is lightweight aluminum that I plan to either install a scoop or have covered flat. The cabin is typical of a 29' vee. Two facing couches and good size v-berth upfront. Plenty comfortable for the moot.

The power may be a bit much but we could work out a lower hp motor if you are interested. I have nice parts to finish another motor build.

No pressure as I really haven't even listed it yet but seemed like a perfect match for ya.

It sounds like a pretty cool boat. I'll email you to get some more info.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
Thanks.

As I alluded to earlier, I'm looking for turnkey and decent room for multiple people, and speeds of 70-79.

28 Velocity was great for Lake St Clair, and mine was just breaking 80mph with a 502 crate.

Never had a problem in the rough, and we used to run the south channel up and over and right back down the north channel regularly.

Decent interior, v bunk was good enough for me @ 6'7"

T38
Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tampa38
28 Velocity was great for Lake St Clair, and mine was just breaking 80mph with a 502 crate.

Never had a problem in the rough, and we used to run the south channel up and over and right back down the north channel regularly.

Decent interior, v bunk was good enough for me @ 6'7"

T38
There's been a few to mention Velocity, but they just don't do it for me style wise. Something about the rise of the fairing doesn't work for me. I think they are otherwise nice boats though.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you like the AT, the all white one for sale in the classies is a nice one.

IMO, i like the low slung, look of the classics. And that is hard to do on a 20-30ft boat w/ alot of freeboard.
Some of the newer 28 panteras will have cut-outs in the floor under the front seats.

Quick Reply: First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.