Notices

" The Ultimate Boat"

Old 03-05-2002, 01:54 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question " The Ultimate Boat"

What would the ultimate boat be in your eyes. It does not have to be existing. It could be wishful thinking or what you would want in a boat. This could be called the "Mclaren F1" of boats. Speed is not the point neither is money.
I am interested in what people might want if a boat were to be built, what would make it their boat.
This info will be put to good use, we are trying to put a project together for a customer and we are gathering info.
Thanks in advance,
pat W
Old 03-05-2002, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paid 4 and fast!
Old 03-05-2002, 07:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

cpqtim - you hit it right on the head
Old 03-05-2002, 08:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Shifter,
OBVIOUSLY, it will have "W" surface drives!! And I feel the power plant of the future is TURBINES, for many reasons; POWER, (2000-3800+ Hp), power-to weight ratio, reliability, etc. The weak link in this chain right now is shiftable gear boxes, which is one of your guy's area of expertise.
The hull would be a Cat which is composite CF/Kevlar weave, vacuum bagged, using NO WOOD. All turbine/drive related components would be CNC'd out of Stainless or 6061 T6 Aluminum.
The steering system would be drive by wire, which mechnical backup, and the seating would be military spec'd.
Will there be a "Cabin/Pleasure" interior in this Mclaren boat?
MD
Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 AM
cashmoney

Yes Dean , Reliability , The turbines will give you that.I'm sure everyone is sick of working on your engines all the time, I know I am.It would be a dream to own a boat and not to have to touch the powerplant for a couple years..Of course owning a boat with turbines would be a dream anyway.Dream on.

Old 03-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Mike J

Pat,That sounds like a
project for 3am Engineering.
You know 3am, You rollover
and you hear FORGET IT,
So you roll back and design your dream boat.
Anyone else ever do that.
Mike J.

Old 03-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear ya, Mike J...Getting up out of bed in the pre-dawn hours to jot something down or sketch something out...

Still waiting for that get-rich-quick million dollar dream!
Old 03-05-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

80 foot cat,16 foot beam,all the comforts of home and enough horsepower to blow T2X's 28 off the water
Old 03-06-2002, 01:00 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok,
Thats better, now I feel like we are getting somewhere.
We have a turbine boat that is about to go testing with our new fnr brake gearboxes. The boat has been done (rigged) by Intec marine in Canada. It is a 46 but not a skater I think.
Turbines are great but the are loud, annoying, and hate salt not to mention a 1500 degree hair dryer. There are ways around that.
Why not diesel? Reliable cost effective. Trucks can do 1 million miles now.
Open your minds. Just because it is the Ultimate boat doesn't mean that it has to be expensive to own and operate.
At the end of this thread I will give some insite to what we are thinking.
The W drives are a must but can be left off if there is a better soulution. Notice "drives" plural There is now a big brother to the surface drive.
pat W
Old 03-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took some thought but I finnally came up with my "ultimate boat"

I'm a V hull guy so cats are definitly out.
I think I would go with either a 63' or 70' foot Magnum.
Now my Magnum would not have to as plush as the ones you see in their website. The interior would be nice , basic... leather , corian, oak , I would have Audiofan do the A/V stuff .
Now for the importants stuff. This boat would have to run in the nineties. I figure there average 70' Magnum weighs 70,000lbs and with 3600hp it runs 60. Well if I can get it around 50,000lbs and run two 3650 Detroit/MTU's it should be close to the speed I want.
As far as drives , I don't have any idea. Maybe some Arneson's with Rolla props or Water jets. Whichever will work the best.
I can see me now rolling up to the next Jobbie Nooner with the stereo blasting and a bunch of hotties that are there just to use me !
Thats okay I'm sure I can use them too !!

Quick Reply: " The Ultimate Boat"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.