Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help Stop The Closure of the F-COVE  !!!! >

Help Stop The Closure of the F-COVE !!!!

Notices

Help Stop The Closure of the F-COVE !!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation Help Stop The Closure of the F-COVE !!!!

The government is working on a plan to close F-Cove.

We need to stop them.

http://www.savebarnegatbay.org/news_231.shtml

Our plan is to get as many people as possible to contact Joe Sangiovanni, Brick Council President, to try to get Brick to work something out with the Fish & Wildlife Service, who own F-Cove.

I will try to get a contact email address for Joe.

Update: Emails may be sent to [email protected] Attention Joseph Sangiovanni Council President.

A side note:
Joe was a customer of mine when he raced Offshore in a Chris Cat named Bustin' Out

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 01-30-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was a white and green boat right ! a kid throttled and said he built the engines, and they had a little guy as the nav on the boat in c class I got a tape of it somewhere mike snow was racing the yellow bannana with the 2.4s in b class then. hope he will help you. I .ll send a letter fax email?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
that was a white and green boat right ! a kid throttled and said he built the engines, and they had a little guy as the nav on the boat in c class I got a tape of it somewhere mike snow was racing the yellow bannana with the 2.4s in b class then. hope he will help you. I .ll send a letter fax email?
White , Teal and Pink with a big busty blonde on the side.

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 01-26-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Angry

What is Proposed

The agencies' plan calls for filling the lagoons to a depth of six feet. This depth figure may well change to an even shallower depth if they find, as they most likely will, that the shelf at the point of entry is only about three feet in depth.

Some of the dunes would be lowered, especially between the fingers of the F, in order to create habitat for rare diamondback terrapins. A connection would be broken through to the L-Lagoon immediately to the north.

Powerboats would no longer be allowed entrance. "Bollards" - pilings put in various places much as is done on land to enhance security of some building - would restrict access to craft above a certain size.

Various Perspectives

From the standpoint of the Refuge Managers, what currently occurs at F-Cove does not fit the Congressionally mandated criteria for recreational activity on a Federal Wildlife Refuge, which are:1 – Hunting, 2 - Fishing, 3 - Wildlife observation, 4 - Wildlife photography, 5 – Nature-related interpretive experiences, and 6 - Environmental education.

Also in the managers' defense is the fact that the deep water of the lagoons contains so little oxygen at the bottom that their lower portions are biologically useless.

Save Barnegat Bay acknowledges that the current activities do not meet the official recreational criteria. But we strongly believe that the fact that thousands of boaters enjoy this natural setting on weekends over the course of the summer creates an obligation on the part of representative government to work out an accommodation.

The government employees contemplating this step need to stop and ask themselves what the purpose of government actually is. To deny thousands of people in the state of New Jersey this simple enjoyment merely for the sake of disposing of dredge materials or for the sake of recreating a few acres of habitat is to lose sight of the very purpose of government, which was originally to benefit people.

The US Fish & Wildlife Service has been very people-friendly over the years

The US Fish & Wildlife Service has been a model government agency. Over the years they have purchased thousand of acres along the New Jersey shore - over 43,000 to date - for conservation notwithstanding the fact that Congress has never given them anything close to the amount of money required to manage this land.

One of the most painful aspects of this situation from the standpoint of Save Barnegat Bay is that of finding ourselves in a disagreement with an organization that in all other ways has demonstrated a strong work ethic and pro-people approach that has greatly improved the environmental quality of the coast. The favorable contrast of the Service to other government agencies that could be named could not be more striking. Thousands of conserved acres would be polluting subdivisions were is not for the US Fish & Wildlife Service.

Stay tuned to this site in order to be updated on how you can help save F Cove. You may be able to help by writing letters or attending a hearing.

To get some idea of what the government is trying to do, open this enormous 753 page Army Corps of Engineers report and scroll to page 164. (This large document takes a very long time to load. http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projec...Volume%203.pdf)

Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Registered

Default Save F-cove

I agree with you, Sharkey, we need to stop them!!! F-Cove is one of my favorite spots to chill with my girlfriend and guests. Filling F-Cove with dredge material and sinking pilings to keep boaters out is really a low blow. I will definitely write a letter and send it to Council President Joseph Sangiovanni.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gov't has nothing better to do??
Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey Sharkey,

Obviously you know the council Pres., but is Brick Township really going to be helpful/sympathetic to the situation given some of the past rumblings????????????? Is it possibly Brick that put the Fish and Wildlife up to this?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Council Pres uses the F-Cove with his family too!

I would think he would be against it.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

So are we on the same side as Save the Bay on this issue? Wow what a switch.

They want to fill in lagoons but wouldn't let me fill in the boat ramp in my backyard. Water is too deep and useless? Boy do they make the rules however it suits them at the time.

THe state should save money and leave it alone. If this is the most important issue for them, their services are no longer needed.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Ron P
So are we on the same side as Save the Bay on this issue? Wow what a switch.

Imagine that ???

Willie himself contacted me. I guess he saw how well I rallied the troops against his speed limit that he could use me to rally up for this cause .... LOL

Quick Reply: Help Stop The Closure of the F-COVE !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.