Sellers:  Do you tire of tirekickers? >

Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Notices

Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't know what to do...

Nothing I own is costing me money...everything is paid for, but I find myself wanting to unload all of it...

No time for the projects (20 Cigarette and 16 Donzi) and it pains me to see the Cafe siting there like that, but I'm still stuck in the mindset that I refuse to "give" anything away. Lowered the price into the 50's where everyone said "it will definitely sell" and nothing...not a single call. Offered it to a guy on Craigslist who was looking for a "mechanically perfect" boat and yet this one was "too old" for him...

Weird part is that I'm not even getting any "insulting" offers.

So what are people buying?

Who has sold a boat recently?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK-22 6.9 meter

Originally Posted by Sean
I really don't know what to do...

Nothing I own is costing me money...everything is paid for, but I find myself wanting to unload all of it...

No time for the projects (20 Cigarette and 16 Donzi) and it pains me to see the Cafe siting there like that, but I'm still stuck in the mindset that I refuse to "give" anything away. Lowered the price into the 50's where everyone said "it will definitely sell" and nothing...not a single call. Offered it to a guy on Craigslist who was looking for a "mechanically perfect" boat and yet this one was "too old" for him...

Weird part is that I'm not even getting any "insulting" offers.

So what are people buying?

Who has sold a boat recently?
I have a friend that can sell a boat as soon as he lists it. However, if I try to list a cheaper style of boat I cant give it away.
All these tire kickers that talk to me really seem to want what im selling, but always have excusses. Let me ask the wife, I have to many projects already, and my favorite...If I had the extra money. Well not trying to sound mean, But if you didnt have the money why are you wasting everyones time looking???
You actually think people are gonna be sitting on the beach this summer watching everyone elses wake? I think not.
Being boat poor... And buying yet another boat last summer...Im sure a few of you have the same problem? Not that I consider it a problem. I love all my toys.
I have an extremely rare Chris Craft XK22 6.9 Italian Style. Its looking for a good home. I dont get any use out of it anymore. I havent resorted to e-bay yet. But its not out of the question.
There are always all those lowball bids out there, that like to get something for nothing. Nothing wrong with looking for a bargain. But when they make me a lowball (rediculous) offer. I tell them sure, I have a jonboat with some oars that you could afford out behind the garage...
Heres one of my boats im peddling...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a few toys for sale. I get the question, "what's your bottom line price", sometimes before they have even seen the car for sale. I usually re-state the asking price and say throw me an offer and we'll see. How do you answer that question? If I'm asking $20K and tell them the bottom line is $18K they'll probably come back with a $16K offer!

I'm in sales professionally so I just look at tire kickers as part of the hassle of private selling. Like someone else said, if you can't deal with them list it with a broker and then you pay them to deal with the dipsh!ts.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve_H

Put a realistic price on it and list it as "firm" if you want to avoid the low ballers.

On the other hand, being a buyer isnt much fun either. You want the best deal you can get but how is the best way to go about getting it without insulting the seller? My approach is usually "whats your bottom dollar". At that point I make a decision to pursue it further or politely tell the seller to contact me if he decides to lower the price to what I honestly think its worth.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my boat for sale this past spring/summer. I had it in the area where i live just along the main hwy before a popular boating river. I would get calls all day long. The ones that were calling that had no interest usually started out by asking "how fast does that thing go" or " how big is the gas tank in that thing". I got so pissed i decided i would strip the boat and sell the hull for next to nothing. I had to pull the motor by my dad's house so my brother came and got the boat for me. Before we could get to it the next weekend my brother had it parked in his yard in the middle of nowhere with a homemade for sale sign(for a joke with some guys i work with). I got one call a guy wanted to look at it, told him to go look at it by himself and call me with any questions( i was tired of meeting people and answering stupid questions)He called me back and said he wanted to go for a ride. I told him only with a deposit. Long story short, deposit, ride, paid in cold hard cash!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA go work at a dealership and you will know the meaning of "tire kickers"

We have always been polite to customers, however we have adopted new practices at boat shows. Basically if you are not interested keep your kids OFF.

As for picking boats apart, I ask up front what they are looking for. If they say a 20K Fishing boat their is no reason to test drive a 200K go fast.

WILL
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAY
I had my boat for sale this past spring/summer. I had it in the area where i live just along the main hwy before a popular boating river. I would get calls all day long. The ones that were calling that had no interest usually started out by asking "how fast does that thing go" or " how big is the gas tank in that thing". I got so pissed i decided i would strip the boat and sell the hull for next to nothing. I had to pull the motor by my dad's house so my brother came and got the boat for me. Before we could get to it the next weekend my brother had it parked in his yard in the middle of nowhere with a homemade for sale sign(for a joke with some guys i work with). I got one call a guy wanted to look at it, told him to go look at it by himself and call me with any questions( i was tired of meeting people and answering stupid questions)He called me back and said he wanted to go for a ride. I told him only with a deposit. Long story short, deposit, ride, paid in cold hard cash!
Great story! It's funny how stuff like that works sometimes.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
I have a few toys for sale. I get the question, "what's your bottom line price", sometimes before they have even seen the car for sale.
To me...that's the most annoying part... I understand people wanting to know how negotiable you are, but to not even have seen the boat in person and ask what the bottom line is...to me...very annoying.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get just as tired of you guys whining about people who are shopping for boats that ya'll write us off as tirekickers as we do, shopping for boats in this market.

I don't dis beleive that everyone of the boats out there on the market should bring whatever it is that you want to sell it for, and as I have talked to some of you, I have been very respectful in my dealings, I have all ways been up front with the obstacles.

As for us telling you guys that boats are to old, you guys should try applying for quotes on boats that are your age. If they are not slow turds, then insurance is very high on old hulls. I have run into this with several boats that I could have writtena check for. These guys are not lying to you when they say they are to old. It is very real right now. You guys say to us, "well I don't insure it for that much", or my premium renewal is not that high".

Fro those of you that have newer higher valued boats, Maybe you are really dealing with tire kickers who can't buy anyway. I probably havn't been in contact with any of you.

I have been pretty consistant in the range in which I was shopping, but these obsticles are very real, but how can we as buyers begin the process without at first making an inquiry?

Well for those of us who have to get loans to buy boats, we can't lie to the insurance companies like you guys do. Maybe the word "lie" is unfair, I meant "shoulder some of the responsbility".

Does that mean that some of our tastes are slightly out of our budget range? Maybe so. But should that keep us from boat shopping? I don't think so. And if you are so easily offended, then go get a broker, or just quit whining about being richer than the rest of us and rubbing it in our noses.

For the rescord, those of us who aren't in your income bracket generally have a bigger interest and genuine love for the hobby, instead of being like the rest of you guys who just like showing off your wallets.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did you get a lot of offers that were dependent on how many Poker Runs in the season there were, how many were past, how many were going to pass while you were thinking about the offer? Perhaps a offer schedule with new offers on the Monday after each Poker Run?
actually i did... one guys says dont take my offer now... use it a few more week...go on ur poker run... find ur gladiator then call me

Quick Reply: Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.