Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/202344-sellers-do-you-tire-tirekickers.html)

pm203 01-29-2009 01:48 PM

There are several well known people on this board that made offers on certain boats, and when their offer was accepted, walked away. When their low ball offer became reality and further committment was required, they went into stealth mode and dissapeared. What kind of $hit is that? I don't blame some sellers for being the way they are.

jeff1000man 01-29-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2788507)
Did you get a lot of offers that were dependent on how many Poker Runs in the season there were, how many were past, how many were going to pass while you were thinking about the offer? Perhaps a offer schedule with new offers on the Monday after each Poker Run? :D :D :D

I actually have never heard that one though. Nice approach. :party-smiley-004:

jeff1000man 01-29-2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 2788705)
There are several well known people on this board that made offers on certain boats, and when their offer was accepted, walked away. When their low ball offer became reality and further committment was required, they went into stealth mode and dissapeared. What kind of $hit is that? I don't blame some sellers for being the way they are.

Actually, that would piss me off, and I have had that with some parts, so I know what you mean.

You should take that off this thread, and start a new one titled, "where did you go when I called your bluff?"

jmeng 01-29-2009 02:18 PM

It works both ways. There are a ton of boats out there advertised for stupid high $$. Some of these sellers are willing to deal, some aren't.

When I was shopping I would send an email first to find out any important info that wasn't in the ad (hours, trailer, condition, etc) and would usually say "I'm interested in spending x amount of dollars. Are you interested in selling in that price range?" If they said yes and I liked the answers to their questions I would follow up with a phone call after that. But using email was a good way to keep from wasting my time and the sellers.

Sydwayz 01-29-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2788714)
I actually have never heard that one though. Nice approach. :party-smiley-004:

Talk to Ted/dreamer. He invented it! I think it might be "Poker Run Pitching."

mmareno 01-29-2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 2788466)
There are a number of people posting on this site lately looking for a certain size boat with specific requirements at a low price. They appear to be looking for someone needing to bailout on their boat due to the economy.
I suspect they are all tire kickers.
ed

I think the are looking for the deal of the century. I have an older 89' baja.. I totally restored it.. We stripped it to bare fiberglass and started from there. Yeah I put 90k in in between 540's, xr's, MM steering, custom paint, interior, intercom, A/C, etc.. etc.. etc.... But I got a 95mph boat for under a 100k..

I thought I was doing good by taking the old and renewing it ... But now that I am selling it I am making more by parting it out.. I couldn't sell it completely redone. because no one could get a loan for the amount I wanted because of the age. And the few that did have some cash can't get insurance on it because of the Hp in it...

So by the time I am done.. I will have recouped most of the money I wanted but will probably wind up scrapping the hull. The new parts were the onlything worth anything on it!!

jeff1000man 01-29-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2788731)
I think the are looking for the deal of the century. I have an older 89' baja.. I totally restored it.. We stripped it to bare fiberglass and started from there. Yeah I put 90k in in between 540's, xr's, MM steering, custom paint, interior, intercom, A/C, etc.. etc.. etc.... But I got a 95mph boat for under a 100k..

I thought I was doing good by taking the old and renewing it ... But now that I am selling it I am making more by parting it out.. I couldn't sell it completely redone. because no one could get a loan for the amount I wanted because of the age. And the few that did have some cash can't get insurance on it because of the Hp in it...

So by the time I am done.. I will have recouped most of the money I wanted but will probably wind up scrapping the hull. The new parts were the onlything worth anything on it!!

The problem is that we have not created a collector's market for these boats, like antique cars. One day, someone is going to start collecting these things and create market and then all these old turds that we gave away will have a value.

Oh well, I am just dreaming.

mmareno 01-29-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2788734)
The problem is that we have not created a collector's market for these boats, like antique cars. One day, someone is going to start collecting these things and create market and then all these old turds that we gave away will have a value.

Oh well, I am just dreaming.

That was my thinking. People would look at this boat and say Wow, Awesome paint. New interior, FAST, Best hardware money can buy,,, I can run with any hustler, sunsation, other Baja's with 525's or 575's all day and I didn't pay 160k or more for it... This boat cruises 70mph @ 3300rpms.

I couldn't sell it for 50k.. I would up selling the motors to one person and hopefully the hull to another just get 50k out of it.. The boat has 24 hours on it since its power was installed.
Talk about a loss!!

jeff1000man 01-29-2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2788749)
That was my thinking. People would look at this boat and say Wow, Awesome paint. New interior, FAST, Best hardware money can buy,,, I can run with any hustler, sunsation, other Baja's with 525's or 575's all day and I didn't pay 160k or more for it... This boat cruises 70mph @ 3300rpms.

I couldn't sell it for 50k.. I would up selling the motors to one person and hopefully the hull to another just get 50k out of it.. The boat has 24 hours on it since its power was installed.
Talk about a loss!!

No offense, but BAJA's weren't exactly what I was talking about.

The offshore equivalent to a full frame off restoration of a GT-500 shelby, is more along the lines of what I was talking about.

Like a 47 apache that was re built the way it left the factory 20 years ago.

Maybe these boats just aren't old enough yet?

Big Time 01-29-2009 03:23 PM

Last year when I was in the market I could see how so of the sellers might have thought I was a tire kicker. It's kind of like picking a college, you have your stretches, your ones that you are pretty sure you can get into and then you have your safety. I looked at a couple of stretches that if the buyer was really looking to get rid of it I would have pulled the trigger.

There was one instance where I did have financing in place but they would only finance a boat with a 525 or smaller. I didn't realize that was the case at the time and I ended up looking at a boat with 700 hp. Anyway, at the end of the day I couldn't get the boat and I wasted the guys time, but I really did have intentions to purchase it if we could come together on a price, but I ended up buying another boat a couple of weeks later.