Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Notices

Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
And another thing for the tire kickers ............
Just because you think the boat is overpriced don't come on here ripping on the brand, the seller, the powerpack etc.
ed

In my younger years I mis spoke by saying "over priced".

After becoming more in tune with boat owners, and being one myself, I have learned that their boats are really "over loved".
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Most of the posts here have some truth IMHO. Just want to make make this clear: my experiences posted earlier are coming from many years of buying and selling. The Jag is my 15th boat (not currently advertised for sale), so I've done this a lot.
Due
Hopefully you don't decide to "currently advertise" it before I win the lootery. Definately a collectors item.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

And another thing for the tire kickers out there.......
Get a quote on insurance and loan approval for the range of boats you're considering prior to tire kicking.
All it takes is a few phone calls.
ed
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And another thing for the tire kickers out there.......
Get a quote on insurance and loan approval for the range of boats you're considering prior to tire kicking.
All it takes is a few phone calls.
ed
Really?

Someone would be a tire kicker if they called to ask a few questions (not make an offer or get serious) without having insurance/loan approved. Not everyone wants there credit run before they make any phone calls?

I'd suggest a boat broker if this is the case.

Your posts make it sound like the first time someone calls you about a boat their checkbook better be ready to go? Did you buy the first and only book you called on?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Really?

Someone would be a tire kicker if they called to ask a few questions (not make an offer or get serious) without having insurance/loan approved. Not everyone wants there credit run before they make any phone calls?

Your posts make it sound like the first time someone calls you about a boat their checkbook better be ready to go? Did you buy the first and only book you called on?
Well..Yes i would. I know my Fico score..I know my debt to income. I have a pretty good idea of what I could borrow.
You can talk to the bank and ins. co and get a pretty good idea

Also...My last boat i never spoke to the seller on the phone..all e-mails until i drove out to tow it back...
All the e-mails i sent out said..I have XX$ CASH to buy a T/G
Are you interested at that $ amount.
I didnt want to waste anybodys time if we were not close on $
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Really?

Why wouldn't you find out if you're capable of obtaining a loan if needed and insurance prior to shopping ? I see it frequently on this site where a person is discussing a boat for sale and will ask "where could I get financing " or "does anyone know of a insurance company " etc.
ed
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

FWIW I've been out casually shopping for the last 6 months, and have seen more junk listed for sale than clean boats. Some of which looked great in pics and were just sad in person, advertised as "mint/excellent/bristol". I've only taken 1 test drive and that was with a dealer who already had the boat on a lift and frankly had nothing better to do that day.

If someone goes back to look at a boat 2-3 times without making an offer, then that's a tire kicker. Going out and seeing what's in the marketplace is just shopping and getting info, nothing wrong with that in my opinion especially with the amount of inventory for sale right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
Well..Yes i would. I know my Fico score..I know my debt to income. I have a pretty good idea of what I could borrow.
You can talk to the bank and ins. co and get a pretty good idea

Also...My last boat i never spoke to the seller on the phone..all e-mails until i drove out to tow it back...
All the e-mails i sent out said..I have XX$ CASH to buy a T/G
Are you interested at that $ amount.
I didnt want to waste anybodys time if we were not close on $
Birdog, it sounds like you and I operate in the same manner... When I was buying my last boat I would get intouch with sellers of boats that I thought were close to my price range, tell them what I was willing to spend, come to an agreement and go look at it, sea trial and survey. At the time I had 3 boats (one of them was the boat you own but you beat me to it) that I had agreed upon offers and was making travel arrangements to go see them and so I could make my decision. I spoke to my loan officer and got pre-approved before I booked travel and made final offers... From my perspective the deal went pretty smoothly...

On the other hand, if someone makes an offer and says they'd come look at the boat for xyz price...come look at it..don't add the "well, I said I might, not that I would." If someone is serious they'll come look at it...if there's hesitation they wont... So the goal, IMHO, should be to get a person to come look at the boat and make an agreement if there's no surprises you both agree to a price.....

Also, if someone is looking at a boat and can't get approved on a loan because the boat is to old. Or, can't get approved for a loan, maybe they're looking at the wrong boats or maybe should buy the boat for cash or wait/save to buy one thats newer (more expensive) that you can get approved on a loan/insurance.

Of course things don't always work out...especially in these times so I don't take anything personally... I always attempt to overcome objections or maybe even lower expectations on my own end if need be.. At times, if someone is pushing hard for a low price I'll just ask them what they feel it's worth because it can easily turn into a back-forth type of situation. Sales doesn't have to suck. It is what it is and even if someones low balling that's fine I don't hate them for it... All I ask for is genuine interest in buyers when I'm selling something.

Last edited by Panther; 01-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered

Why wouldn't you find out if you're capable of obtaining a loan if needed and insurance prior to shopping ? I see it frequently on this site where a person is discussing a boat for sale and will ask "where could I get financing " or "does anyone know of a insurance company " etc.
ed
So, someone should have an insurance and loan quote on a boat before calling. How would that work if there's no price listed, etc?

Do you think there is a forum full of bank and insurance people who are sick of "tirekickers" calling for quotes on every boat they want to get more info on?

Just because some buyers only feel the need to get more info on a boat if they are ready to buy, doesn't mean everyone should operate that way. If I'm selling something, I expect people to want more info on it before they are ready to stroke a check. Again, if someone can't handle that, they should have someone else handle the selling, or their attitude could cause them to have that boat for a long time.

Quick Reply: Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.