Notices

Any New Innovative Ideas?

Old 03-19-2002, 02:18 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glassdave you bring the drive i'll bring the sawzall....

H2O injection. Seems liek a good idea except, what if you run in salt? would you need a fresh water tank to supply the engine?
Old 03-19-2002, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Single engine high Hp -split and going to 2 bravo drives. Use setup like in new HotBoat on Jim Faulkerson's drag boat. Could have 8-900Hp going to a pair of stock bravo drives. Easy around the docks, more stable at speed vs. single drive. Especially on 30 and under cats. Lighter than twin engine, cheaper, better handling.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

Default WAter injection merit??

I have even broached this with Dustin who has it on his to do list but low in priority. He does use it for some automotive systems to help make up for lack of intercooling capacity- I believe.

Commercial jet engines (JT9D's on early 747s) have used it in the past but don't anymore. It's not astronimical gains here but consistent performance, taking some of the edge of a hot dry day. It will lower EGT and combustion temps as it takes energy to evaporate the water, this offsets the increase in cylinder pressure. It also has a cleaning effect, keeping carbon off the heads and exhaust passages. You can search around on the web- the MPG junkies tinker with it all the time indicating it should be a credible means of achieving efficiency.

Salt water guys would need a fresh water tank to make it work, or at least I wouldn't suggest using salt water.

If "shifter" refers to it as "cheating" or having the edge than we must be on to something.

We just need someone with Dustins talent and resources but also the time to squeez in such a project.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb A SERIOUS data acquisition effort...

So much of what has been done (and is being done) is based on what people think is going on. If you want to make real progress, you need to measure what is going on:[list=1][*]Hydrodynamic (water) pressure along the running surfaces.[*]Aerodynamic pressures - top, bottom and sides.[*]Running attitude - pitch, roll, and yaw.[*]Air speed and true water speed.[*]Distance from lower aero surfaces to the water.[*]Engine speed, driveline torque, steering torque on each drive and/or rudder.[/list=1]
The technology to measure all of these parameters is currently available. The funding to do it might not be....

Now, once you have all that data, you can start a true scientific development program and start getting serious results from automatic control systems....
Old 03-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool idea with the twin bravo single engine marty I have often thought about that only with arnesons on a v bottom boat.Surface drives are hard to handle as a single. I also thought about a tunnel tab with fixed sides to each side of the tunnel. like a tunnel extension that your able to restrict for stern lift
Old 03-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

I have a 42 Sonic with triples, and on the center drive 1/2 the skeg is cut of. It came that way, and the boat handles great.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

well than madcow . . .lets get out the saw and finish the lob

by the way how was boyne an hows the boat come'n along

Last edited by glassdave; 03-19-2002 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now here's a question??? If you split say a single 900hp engine into 2 Bravos would the torque be split also?? Would this keep the Bravos happier due to lower throughput? I would think a setup like this could also regulate power between the 2 props at speed to increase turning efficiency.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Registered

a thought here, why dont boats use a flipper for propulsion like the majority of the creatures in the sea rather than a propeller?some sea creatures actuallyattain quite notable speeds using this action. is the propeller one of those " i dont know why but it is done this way things"
Old 03-20-2002, 10:52 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take the load off of one full load goes to the one with the bite. then you will be Twice as pissed.
Why not have the props out front? or a ducted fan in the air or jet drive?
I watched a MIT challenge and it was on human powered subs. There was one with a push and pull prop (octopus) and ones with props no flippers though. Props won. They are simulating tuna in drag tanks, now that is stealth.
pat W
Its not cheating it is innovation. That used to be a good thing. We could have been discussing a new paddle, you might need that with the bravo.

Last edited by shifter; 03-21-2002 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Any New Innovative Ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.