UN-REAL accident footage...

Notices

UN-REAL accident footage...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Jeremy can you comment on the difference between a bravo 42 and a #6 46 when handling is compared?
42 was light and airy feeling.
46 rock solid and hooked up.

Never thought the drive/props would make such a difference, but the sixs just stay hooked up and keep the boat level.

Any of my friends could drive the 42 and within 10 minutes figure out the sweet spot. It took me nearly 25 hours for me to learn my 46's characteristics. Meaning the drive and tabs are very important on my 46 and when put where they should be deliver an excellent ride, if not the boat keeps trying to find itself. The 42 was less of a machine and more of a toy where the 46 has to be driven.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
I would say I really never turn my boat with a lot of speed. Just have always thought they are meant to go fast in a straight line. I'll just leave the turning to the racers.
only time I ever had to turn at speed was when a blowboat tacked in front of me. and that was about 40. we were coming at each other and he just cut it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
only time I ever had to turn at speed was when a blowboat tacked in front of me. and that was about 40. we were coming at each other and he just cut it.
Had one of those as well...

After following Rich thru the S-turns at Smith Mountain Lake about 45mph (cleared the turn-accelerating to 55mph or so); I had a PWC cut between us. I banked into Rich's wake/trough and LITERALLY put my Port side aft rub rail in the water. I don't ever want to do that again, but it was great to know the boat could pull that off.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Uhhhh......if your telling me you can't slow down in a turn on a stepped bottom cig, then I would consider that a design problem. After all, should you have to turn suddenly to avoid something......and slow down, your SOL. How many lakes/river have blind corners.......and cigarette really expects you to just keep the throttle down. What a great idea that was. BUT we picked up 10mph..........wahoo!!!!!! Unphuckingbelievable.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Uhhhh......if your telling me you can't slow down in a turn on a stepped bottom cig, then I would consider that a design problem. After all, should you have to turn suddenly to avoid something......and slow down, your SOL. How many lakes/river have blind corners.......and cigarette really expects you to just keep the throttle down. What a great idea that was. BUT we picked up 10mph..........wahoo!!!!!! Unphuckingbelievable.
They were designed to run offshore, not in a river or lake with blind corners, not that I have a problem with running them anywhere people want to but the first rule of operating any piece of machinery is proper training.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No ones telling you that, and it would be impossible to assume NONE of the the overwhelming majority of the owners that haven't wrecked their haven't taken harder turns at much faster speeds. I know I turned mine plenty of times at speed and much harder than that with no issue.

It's people that dig the drives and create "bow steer", which greatly reduces the drives' ability to to hold the rear in a turn. It's a universal trait for stepped designs in general, because the steps themselves create more air which is what makes them faster. Keeping some trim and throttle going into a turn keeps the ass planted so that the air created by the steps can be vented out of the sides as it was designed to. That's why you can actually see the steps from the side when it's sitting still. They help channel the air out, not to just look cool.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree!! I'm not sure these guys know what they are talking about with "you have to learn about this turning and these stepped hulls"......seems more like you have to learn more about the design deficiency and how to work around it, or at least with it. This TS Cigarette design has been tossing folks out since Hull #1.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee

The Chang/Stinson swim WAS indeed one of the first TS boats, which also means the technique needed to properly operate them was a very new concept as well.

Ummmmmm......Stinson and Simon drove one of the first made by Cigarette. Stepped hulls have been around for 50+ years before that. Cigarette just got it wrong on this one.......and Cheng (not Chang) figured he'd get a good deal by buying the salvage.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Ummmmmm......Stinson and Simon drove one of the first made by Cigarette. Stepped hulls have been around for 50+ years before that. Cigarette just got it wrong on this one.......and Cheng (not Chang) figured he'd get a good deal by buying the salvage.
Ummmmmm, ........

You just rewrote exactly what I said for some reason...which was that they drove the first "TS".... TS is the abbrieviated factory model name for the Twin Stepped Cigarettes. I didn't think I needed point that out, but I mistakenly assumed this was common knowledge to anyone that would throw an opinion in on this topic and expect a shred of credibility? I apologize.

I also truly apologize for misspelling Jeffrey's last name when I quickly typed that post, or ever questioning the "possibility" that he or Stinson could have been in a position the boat didn't like. Having 400 hours of my own in a TS (Twin Step Cigarette) with no issues, is one reason I don't quickly pass negative judgment to the builder without first questioning the drivers intentions. Since they got wet, it without question is a "Michael Peters/Cigarette" design flaw, and everyone else that has ever owned or driven one successfully are irrelevant, and should just consider themselves lucky. The vast first hand experience you personally have with these boats should have alerted myself and others to this simple conclusion.

Ummmmmmm, does that make you feel better?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

Isn't the first thing Tres Martin will teach you is to how to attach a laynard kill switch ???
Yet you still have folks who still think accidents don't happen if you know how to drive a boat. They are ALSO the first ones to ***** and whine about insurance rates skyrocketing, along with more regualtions and laws being put on the books due to "performance boat owner negligence" and outright negligence is what it is when your willing to endanger others well being along with property simply because you think you "know how to drive" and it'd never happen to you.
Had a laynard been worn this would not even be a video worth posting for the whole WWW to see. That is truely sad.

Quick Reply: UN-REAL accident footage...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.